Topic of the Day...

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
bikesndbugs

Re: Topic of the Day...

Post by bikesndbugs »

So last weekend me and a couple of friends were out riding bikes and i decided i was gonna hit this one jump not very big. anyways the lip was wrecked and the back of the bike kicked up. I thew the bars under my feet and tried to land on my feet but this wasnt a very big jump and i way overshot it so i ended up with my knee in the lip of the next jump. rolled over and couldn't move it ended up being lifted from a bag into a helicopter ans i was in a canyon. about a half a mile off the road through rough stuff. they lifted me into the helicopter brought me to a better area and put me into an ambulance. took my to one hospital they told me wow thats bad but your under 18 so we are transferring you. (I was happy about this as the other hospital is better) went in at about 1 am for a ct scan with my leg still not straight but at least upright by now. they stuck me in a bed with some pillows under it for the night went into surgery the next day. I broke my femur in 2 spots and now have a plate and a whole bunch of screws. stayed that day and got home the next day around 9 as i was waiting on a wheelchair. Im finally becoming a bit more mobile. I turn 18 on the 17th then the next day get sized for a new brace then the 20th go back to the surgeon i think thats to put the new brace on then a week later i start physical therapy. I was told i should be around back to normal in 4 months yay :roll:
IMG_20170405_090923_048-600x600.jpg
download_20170403_084208-600x1066.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Travis
I spend way to much time on this site
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Good job Travis :roll: ! I always worry about someone with a new first to them bike; not anything un-expected I guess but the pix sure looks bad. Take it easy and do what the docs say.

Lee
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Dang man, that is a good one. Nice hardware pics. Do as the docs say take your rehab serious and you will be fine.
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

In-true facts: http://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/smar ... p#image=35

I ran into this today and it is a fun read.

Lee
cbeck

Post by cbeck »

Named like pastrana, rides like street bike tommy :shock:
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

cbeck wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:08 pm Named like pastrana, rides like street bike tommy :shock:
:lol:
pretty good but google travis pastranas injury list. Its a long one
Travis
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

google travis pastranas injury list
*&^)^_)()(*(*%$$#$$!
Ouch. Ouch. Ouch. Ouch....
Respect, but someone needs to tell that guy Pain is trying to tell you something...
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

There's a young man who used to live with us. His experience with bicycles and various "tricks" on them have lead to some interesting features to his body. Such as screws which tend to back out of the side of his knee at inopportune times. It's a little weird to turn a screw back into his leg bones without breaking the skin. Did you make sure to tell them to use loc-tite? Krazy Glue would work too, it was invented for use in surgery.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

dustymojave wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:45 pm There's a young man who used to live with us. His experience with bicycles and various "tricks" on them have lead to some interesting features to his body. Such as screws which tend to back out of the side of his knee at inopportune times. It's a little weird to turn a screw back into his leg bones without breaking the skin. Did you make sure to tell them to use loc-tite? Krazy Glue would work too, it was invented for use in surgery.
interesting fact on that loc tite and idk if they used it on me i was on morphine and half loopy the entire time wasn't too much communication . I go back on the 20th so ill be back with more info. And i turn 18 tomorrow gonna be super exiting on my couch.
Travis
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

I have had numerous broken bones, Screws, Pins, couple artificial joints, doc said he quit counting on stitches. Looks like you are off to a good start.
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

Leatherneck wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:07 pm I have had numerous broken bones, Screws, Pins, couple artificial joints, doc said he quit counting on stitches. Looks like you are off to a good start.
yeah missing teeth from last year so i have bone grafts where the teeth were, now this, couple of concussions. Thats part of the reason I tried to get in the car so I am a bit safer.
Travis
bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

its windy here in Oklahoma because Texas sucks and Kansas blows....
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

bajaherbie wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:39 pm its windy here in Oklahoma because Texas sucks and Kansas blows....
Heard that from a friend in New Mexico about Az and Texas. Seems Texas is the common denominator.
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

I've been using that phrase for decades with LA and Bakersfield in the blowing part and Vegas in the sucking part. It's often windy here, so I've used it a LOT! MY next door neighbor moved to Altus OK in February. In talking on the phone to her mom who still lives next door to us a couple weeks ago when OK was having strong winds, she was complaining about how terrible the wind was. The next day, the wind here was at least as strong and blew a good sized tree down on top of the house across the street from the one she grew up in. So of the 2 places, which has the worst wind? Still tough to call. So far, I believe the record for sustained wind here is between 105-110mph. I always thought that phrase was unique to me. Apparently others have had thoughts along the same lines. It's OK Herb...I never copyrighted it, so you can use it alright.
Richard
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

Oh...and since you're neighbors now, give her little 4 year old girl Lyric a hug and a kiss from me next time you see them, will ya? Tell her it's from Santa. 8)
Richard
Retired Fabricator