Topic of the Day...

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
TimS

Re: Topic of the Day...

Post by TimS »

I was planning on attending the "old school rail" event at St. Anthony sand dunes in two weeks, but in reading the rules they don't allow "highway registered" cars on the dunes. I could understand a requirement for paddle tires or something like that, but to categorically exclude all dual sports seems awfully prejudice. So, I can take the plates off and tow it, or spectate from the asphalt.

I may still go and hang around the parking lot and see a piece of the sand people culture because it's only an hour or so away. Also, I hear they are going to roast a pig and that sounds good.

On another note, my wife has stolen the trophy-diesel two days in a row to go fishing with my daughter and without me because I'm working. I must say I'm quite impressed by her ambition and appreciate her showing my daughter that a person can learn a new skill and do it successfully with a little gumption. After day 1 and four fish, I asked her to put back all the fish she can so we don't get too many. My favorite quote from her... "As long as you have YouTube, anyone can learn to do anything."
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

rsz_dsc_0259.jpg
Picture from prom. It was a really good time

Took the tundra out yesterday for a big of dirt road shenanigans.
Not very impressed with it. IM thinking about selling it and buying a different truck. Maybe a older diesel. the 6.9 idi or a 7.3 idi. good motors in a good truck little underpowered but its whatever. also interested in the first gen 12 valve cummins. the tundra feels like it will break and im not a fan of 2wd or fly by wire and all the fancy stuff. If not the old diesel possibly a 99 or so silverado.
Gas isnt good in any of them but ill still daily the bug.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Travis
I spend way to much time on this site
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

My ex-father-in-law was not what you could call the best of what you might call in-laws (mother-in-law was first class) but he did give me one piece (and only one) of good advice which I still believe in:

(to paraphrase) 'You need a good dependable car/truck to get you to work and back. It should be able to get you across the country in-case your job takes you there (it almost happened to me but not to the upper east coast but to Huntsville Alabama. It later turned out that not taking the job was a good idea). 'Once you get a good dependable car/truck then leave it alone other than for normal maintenance; then, and only then, get a "toy" (or two?) you can play with.'

With the way things are now days, assuming you get married, the both of you will have to work (in CA that is almost a given) so you will probably need two dependable vehicles. Toys have a tendency to get "broken" :shock: :oops: and there goes your job as most employers want you there to work (dependable).

You prom pix is nice and you look very debonair especially with your "stick". Canes, aka "sticks", were very socially acceptable with the upper class (top hats too) especially after WWI when the GIs came home with a fashionable "stick" habit they picked up in Europe or England. That went on until not too many years before WWII. I think it was Cole Porter who wrote a song about men and their "sticks").
chuckput

Post by chuckput »

If you're blue and you don't know where to go to
Why don't you go where fashion sits
Puttin' on the Ritz
Different types of wear all day coat pants
With stripes and cut away coats for perfect fits
Puttin' on the Ritz
Dressed up like a million dollar trooper
Trying hard to look like Gary Cooper
Super-duper
Come lets mix where Rockerfellers
Walk with sticks or umbrellas in their mits
Puttin' on the Ritz

Taco - Putting On The Ritz Lyrics | MetroLyrics
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

:D Hey, very good sir. I have the movie and watch it quite often but I never suspected someone else was into it. 8) :lol:

I was wrong, it wasn't Cole Porter but Irving Berlin who wrote it. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puttin%27_On_the_Ritz)

Oh, yeah, it was also sung and danced to in Young Frankenstein also.
chuckput

Post by chuckput »

These words are from an 80s version by a singer named Taco. I remember the Young Frankenstein version as well - the "monster" had the line, "Puttin' on the Ritz."
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

If you had read the URL you would have seen Taco mentioned as having covered the song.

"Columbia released a 78 (record) recording of Fred Astaire singing the original lyrics in May 1930" and he sang and danced it on film in 1946 but it wasn't as "jazzy" of a version as it is usually covered. The song was written by Irving Berlin in 1927.

Tyrone Power did a movie in 1936 titled "Alexander's rag time band" (a song that was also the movie's title). The movie covered a lot of Irving Berlin's songs but there was a scene in the film where Tyrone's character had came back from WWI and was carrying a "stick" and, when asked if he was wounded he explained why the "stick" (a habit he picked up in Europe during the war as I remember).

More than you wanted to know... sorry.
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

Ol'fogasaurus wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 10:25 am My ex-father-in-law was not what you could call the best of what you might call in-laws (mother-in-law was first class) but he did give me one piece (and only one) of good advice which I still believe in:

(to paraphrase) 'You need a good dependable car/truck to get you to work and back. It should be able to get you across the country in-case your job takes you there (it almost happened to me but not to the upper east coast but to Huntsville Alabama. It later turned out that not taking the job was a good idea). 'Once you get a good dependable car/truck then leave it alone other than for normal maintenance; then, and only then, get a "toy" (or two?) you can play with.'

With the way things are now days, assuming you get married, the both of you will have to work (in CA that is almost a given) so you will probably need two dependable vehicles. Toys have a tendency to get "broken" :shock: :oops: and there goes your job as most employers want you there to work (dependable).

You prom pix is nice and you look very debonair especially with your "stick". Canes, aka "sticks", were very socially acceptable with the upper class (top hats too) especially after WWI when the GIs came home with a fashionable "stick" habit they picked up in Europe or England. That went on until not too many years before WWII. I think it was Cole Porter who wrote a song about men and their "sticks").
cane is just for the leg i wasn't wearing my brace so it helped walking.
Interesting on the "sticks" i just bought it so i didnt have to deal with the crutches anymore.

as far as reliable id like something reliable not that the bug isnt but i drive it daily because i enjoy it. Still dont want the tundra doesnt feel like my truck. Was thinking of what i need the truck for. Reliability and ability to tow the bug easily. So the ideas of what i want were downsized. Now im in between a toyota t100 or an early tacoma. both would have to be 4wd both manual and with the same v6. t100 has a bit more size and mini truck style suspension. (practically indestuctable). Tacoma is smaller with better mpg slightly lower tow capacity but nothing major and there is massive aftermaket but its not as durable. also tacomas come at a higher price but have major aftermaket support and most suspension parts swap with tundra stuff so it has the ability to be stronger. and bigger brakes.
Travis
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

bikesndbugs wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:54 am cane is just for the leg i wasn't wearing my brace so it helped walking.
Interesting on the "sticks" i just bought it so i didnt have to deal with the crutches anymore.

as far as reliable id like something reliable not that the bug isnt but i drive it daily because i enjoy it. Still dont want the tundra doesnt feel like my truck. Was thinking of what i need the truck for. Reliability and ability to tow the bug easily. So the ideas of what i want were downsized. Now im in between a toyota t100 or an early tacoma. both would have to be 4wd both manual and with the same v6. t100 has a bit more size and mini truck style suspension. (practically indestuctable). Tacoma is smaller with better mpg slightly lower tow capacity but nothing major and there is massive aftermaket but its not as durable. also tacomas come at a higher price but have major aftermaket support and most suspension parts swap with tundra stuff so it has the ability to be stronger. and bigger brakes.
Try walking with the cane handle pointing forward. You might find it easier as the heel of your hand, which is where your loading is going, is going down the shaft more directly. :wink:

I completely understand the bug being more fun. I also understand the Tundra not comfortable for you but... it was your mothers too (a hard decision there most likely).

Also, remember... you've already started modifying your daily transportation even before you get it. :wink: My oldest stepson just bought a brand new "Turd" (TRD)... not my name for it but very commonly used from what I understand. :twisted: They've only had it a few weeks but so far they like it.
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

Ol'fogasaurus wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:52 am
bikesndbugs wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:54 am cane is just for the leg i wasn't wearing my brace so it helped walking.

Try walking with the cane handle pointing forward. You might find it easier as the heel of your hand, which is where your loading is going, is going down the shaft more directly. :wink:

I completely understand the bug being more fun. I also understand the Tundra not comfortable for you but... it was your mothers too (a hard decision there most likely).

Also, remember... you've already started modifying your daily transportation even before you get it. :wink: My oldest stepson just bought a brand new "Turd" (TRD)... not my name for it but very commonly used from what I understand. :twisted: They've only had it a few weeks but so far they like it.
the cane im hoping to be off it in a week or so.
The tacomas hold value incredibly i just dont need a big truck right now not to mention one that feels like it will break. The 95-04 tacomas are really good trucks and just a more me vehicle. The tundra has fly by wire and all that fancy stuff and just hate driving it i feel disconnected to the road and truck itself. I doubt ill modify it much unless i have a problem with it just a good feeling knowing i can do something. like no doubt the truck will work and stop fine but if it gets to where im uncomfortable with it towing the bug i can upgrade them.

that turd name makes it expensive. the price on these 15 to 20 year old trucks is insane. I guess theres a reason though.

i also have a few friends with 4 runners that are the same frame platform and those work great.
the main reason i lean fro the t100 is the price point.
Travis
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I'm very leery about being able to ride in a car and let the computer do the driving. With all the jerk drivers out there with road rage and the P-poor driving skills and add to that conditions of the roads that is another bother.

We have problems with landslides in the wet weather and now you are seeing a lot of sink holes around the world (is it rotting away under us" :D )

Some jerk could program them to appear somewhere, place a bomb in one and no one would know who, what, where or why.

Just another bad type of driver in my opinion.

I have become accustomed to Cruise Control to a certain extent but not in hilly country.

I'd rather be prepared than run into something worse. With the idea of aero cars they have been trying come do since flight began... that is even worse. Can you imagine some of the incompetent drivers or people who don't keep up their cars we have on the road now flying overhead with the same stupidity?

Sorry about the rant but I do understand what you are saying.

Lee
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

Don't even get me started with bad drivers. Socal is terrible everyone is in la la land. Drive a bit North from me so about la and everyone is bumper to bumper going 80 then dead stopped. People are completely oblivious to their surroundings

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Travis
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I hate to tell you dude but most of CA is a dream land compared to some places I have driven. :roll: :D
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

Ol'fogasaurus wrote:I hate to tell you dude but most of CA is a dream land compared to some places I have driven. :roll: :D
Really? That's surprising. Might just be all the traffic around here. I try to stay off freeway/interstates just because there's too much traffic at off hours its nice though

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Travis
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

I have only driven through or visited Cali a few times, but I thought the drivers were great: polite, knew what turn signals are for, don't accelerate to cut you off if you use yours (Typical here in Texas, they think your a yankee tourist if you use them)

Did seem to suffer from way too many people, but they seem to try to make the best of it.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.