Topic of the Day...

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
bikesndbugs

Re: Topic of the Day...

Post by bikesndbugs »

Yeah I've seen those 930 and 934s they are insane.
I guess anything that you have to extend your axle for would give you more travel and that cv angle is whatever it is. Not important now. But that longer axle is what gives the travel. If I'm understamding because the axle now goes further at the same angle giving more travel.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Travis
I spend way to much time on this site
bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

New exhaust on display at 2017 SEMA show....Image

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
TimS

Post by TimS »

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... hE09UcOwmo

I went to this link in chrome and selected to "add extension" and it automatically shows photobucket pics now. Check it out then save your favorite threads before photobucket puts an end to it.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

looks to me like its working tim.
thank you i bet a lot of people would be happy to know about this
Travis
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

Ill ask this here and possibly shop theory but any recommendations for a tube bender.

Travis
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

I've had a JD Squared Model 3 for about 20 years or more now. Been good for me. I like the ProTools Model 105. Like a JD2 but a little nicer. Eastwood's is virtually the same bender.

There are times when it's handy to have a bender that bends vertically rather than horizontally. You might look into those.

Get a bender with a degree indicator of some sort.

Note that most benders are not sold including dies. Those are usually extra cost. I bought mine with a 1.5" die set included, shipped for $215. New. But that was a while ago. Dies are VERY heavy and thus VERY expensive to ship.

Keep your eyes on CL, Race Dez and other such sites for used benders. Sometimes you can score big that way. But don't count on being able to do so.

Manual bending works fine, IF you have something to pull against. Like the bender mounted on a post set in thick concrete. Or a lever mounted to the bender to hang onto and pull against. Hydraulic can make it much easier. But can make it a lot more expensive.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

The 2nd squared seems pretty common. In searching for a used one but no luck.

I'm on a limited budget. I have like 5 to 8 hundred to get one. So manual is forced.

Originally I was going to buy a not welder with this money but I figure because I have quite a few people wanting me to build things the return on money would be better for a tube bender.

So my price allows a bender and a die.
Not the greatest.

1.5 inch die 180 deg
If I could get 2 I get a 1 inch die also

Travis
BAJA-IT

Post by BAJA-IT »

TimS wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:47 pm https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... hE09UcOwmo

I went to this link in chrome and selected to "add extension" and it automatically shows photobucket pics now. Check it out then save your favorite threads before photobucket puts an end to it.
That seems to work in chrome.
Thanx Tim.
BRAT Motorsports #936
Bolt Center: Salt Lake City, Ut
ACE: Air Cooled Engineering, now Black Line Racing
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

There is an equivalent for Firefox (probbly written by same folks)
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... x/?src=api
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

I'll try it. I expect Phototoilet to seek a way around such "fixes"
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

New thoughts on standing at an intersection waiting for the "walk" light.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/SB_0vRnkeOk?rel=0
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

Haven't checked in here in a while.
The car has been gettiing updates but none on me.
I worked that construction handrail welding job for 6 months untill I got so fed up I just gave notice.

Took a day off ran around town hitting every off-road shop I could.
And tadaaa I got a job.

And it's at prd. I'm much happier here I get paid a bit less hourly but it's under the table and right now I work less.
Small shop 4 guys including the owner and his son. Seems like a nice place so far and much easier on my body and all my mental health. I'm two weeks in.
We build everything from an ls crawler jeep to a viper v10 truck to sand cars. Also a good amount of machinery.

I often think of selling my bug. And picking up a nice daily driver quick little street car and throwing all the money into the truck. 71 f100 4x4. New front links and engine hop up parts frame supported roll bar. Something that would be alright in desert but crawl too because of the group I often go with is all jeeps so the bug barely gets out of first gear.

My leg is still messed up have yet to hop on a bmx bike again but have been riding my kx60 quite a bit and wow that little thing is quick.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Travis
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Travis: My ex-father-in-law wasn't the greatest on good advice but he did give me one bit that turned out to be correct. Get yourself a good dependable car that will get you to work or across country without any problems, then you can have a "toy" car to work on and play with.

Not too long after the advice I got notice that I was being transferred diagonally across the country to Marietta Georgia but at the last minute that fell apart. Another time, shortly there after, I got notice that I was being transferred to somewhere else on the east coast. Never went either time but it was an "almost" in order to keep my job.

You never know what is going to happen onw minute to the next do you. It is especially more so if or when you get hooked up with someone.

Think about it.

Lee

Removed the word "almost" as I did get notified as I was to go and on short notice.
Last edited by Ol'fogasaurus on Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

I trust the truck to get me anywhere whenever I want it to.
Leaks a bit of oil but that's all. Not much to go wrong with it. No power anything. And has the 300 i6 that's ultra reliable

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Travis