Topic of the Day...

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
TimS

Topic of the Day...

Post by TimS »

So here's a thought. We always clutter up other dedicated "build pages" with general chatter of some interesting subject in which everyone offers insight and is very educational and fun to talk about. Being as this is a forum, and forums are for not only sharing of information, but also building a community, I think the chatter as appropriate to the mission, but not necessarily appropriate to the topic at hand (Herbie? You there?). Anyways, I always am thinking of stuff, or experiencing stuff that I cannot talk about to my normal chronies, but you folks might find interesting, or offer some insight to, and I never know quite where to post it. Like today, I used a 12/14 TPI variable pitch 12" demolition blade on my sawzall for the first time to cut up some pallets for recycled wood to build some planter boxes. I had almost given up on the sawzall after trying to use a coarse wood cutting blade for demo and wearing the blade out in a few minutes. The new blade still looks new.

So do you think a "general chatter" or "topic of the day" or "hey look what I saw" thread would get any use or be beneficial to the community?

edit-- Like, I know a lot of chatter goes on in instant message, mostly becuase there is no place for it. Maybe someone out there could learn from, find entertainment in, or offer some information about the content. Instead of keeping it private.

What do you think?
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.

Re: Topic of the Day...

Post by 883 »

I like the Idea. :D

So...
I use recycled pallet wood to boil maple sap to make syrup. Best method to cut the stuff up that I have found is a carbide demo blade on a circular saw. Still a PITA, but otherwise free energy. Same blade for 2 seasons now, probably need a new one.

And don't even try a chainsaw, it'll wreck your saw and da%n near kill you. Don't ask me how I know this. :oops:
No plan survives contact with the enemy.
TimS

Post by TimS »

I'm jealous. No sugar maples here.

My brother has been making almost a quart :shock: of syrup a day in New Hampshire. He just sent us out some, but haven't tried it. This is one of my favorite past times and best memories as a kid and really signals the change of seasons for me. I tried extracting (distilling) oil from local fauna, but it's not the same, and, from what I hear, birch syrup takes like 100:1 (sap:syrup) instead of the 40:1 of maple.

Is your sugaring season almost done?
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.

Post by 883 »

It's a winter hobby-ish thing for the wife and I. We start, and stop, a little earlier than NE. Last boil was Mar 23. Had a good season, 7 weeks of on and off sap run, 13 gallons finished. We don't have birch around here but I have read it takes quite a bit more. It's all about sugar % start to finish. Most of our sap was ~3% this year (that's good), finished is 67%.

On to firewood now, and I'm way behind. :(
No plan survives contact with the enemy.
Big Dave

Post by Big Dave »

Tim, are you thinking of just keeping this thread open for general discussion?

We've always been pretty lenient around here with the OT stuff. Leather used to say this place is like a virtual garage. Don't know about you guys, but there is a fair bit of OT stuff discussed in my garage.
As long as its titled appropriately so people looking for technical info don't get drawn into a 200 page thread of OT discussion, and people obey the forum rules, I'm good with it.
STF doesn't have a chit-chat or OT forum since most of the time they just descend into anarchy and turn ugly. None of us have the time to deal with that kind of unproductive headache.
I don't always show my signature. But when I do, it's in this area.

Post by 560 »

Are we going to start a garden club? :lol:

Mike
Jackpot motorsports
BAJA-IT

Post by BAJA-IT »

Is that what you use to get the weeds out? :? :lol: :wink:
BRAT Motorsports #936
Bolt Center: Salt Lake City, Ut
ACE: Air Cooled Engineering, now Black Line Racing
bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

:|
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
TimS

Post by TimS »

Big Dave wrote: STF doesn't have a chit-chat or OT forum since most of the time they just descend into anarchy and turn ugly. None of us have the time to deal with that kind of unproductive headache.
Your right, carry on. Delete this if you wish.
bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

if it wasnt for me, this place would be a graveyard...... :lol:

anyway, watch for me on t.v. tomorrow night... goin' to TMS for the NRA 500. i'll be the guy in the danica patrick hat.. :roll:
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
Getrdone

Post by Getrdone »

I wish the DPRK would launch their missile so we can blow it up!
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

It is a good thing. Put on your surprise face but we do have more going on then just wrenching, driving and making up BS stories. Far as I am concerned, post a OT of the day when it gets stagnant have one of our stellar Mods delete it.

Clint as far a him launching a nuke, I wish he would try. At this point in time i think daddy China is even getting tired of the snot nose kimchi eating pecker head.
Getrdone

Post by Getrdone »

Yeah, I think it would be a good roman candle! I know they are probably trying to get several billion of our tax dollars to be quiet for awhile. If we so much as give them a dime, I'm not paying taxes anymore!
Turbo_Manx_Maniac

Post by Turbo_Manx_Maniac »

Getrdone wrote:Yeah, I think it would be a good roman candle! I know they are probably trying to get several billion of our tax dollars to be quiet for awhile. If we so much as give them a dime, I'm not paying taxes anymore!
You pay taxes?
I accidentally Googled my Twitter. (And I liked it)
Getrdone

Post by Getrdone »

Especially so when I work 60hrs a freaking week!