560 Gets a major remodel

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
JUSSUMGUY

Re: 560 Gets a major remodel

Post by JUSSUMGUY »

TimS wrote:I edited in the temp wire sender info and belt number for you.
Thanks!
JUSSUMGUY

Post by JUSSUMGUY »

Update:Re-doing the back of the cage. Cut off just about everything from behind the B-pillar towards the back of the car and got it cleaned up. New cage design will allow a lot more storage behind the front seats and the body will have the rear package tray and firewall.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TimS

Post by TimS »

Is there any of the original car left?
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
takotruckin

Post by takotruckin »

TimS wrote:Is there any of the original car left?
Maybe the shift rod? :lol:
JUSSUMGUY

Post by JUSSUMGUY »

TimS wrote:Is there any of the original car left?
Sure. The main cage (A and B pillar) and the tubes that connect it................and the shift rod :lol: Also rear torsion housing :)

My planned use of the car has changed since I got it, thus the rather extensive remodel to make it more user friendly for long off road trips:)
Also, I have a lot of free time :lol:
TimS

Post by TimS »

I'm not knocking it, just an observation. I'm glad your making it yours and look forward to this year's trip.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
JUSSUMGUY

Post by JUSSUMGUY »

Didn't think you were. All's good.
TimS

Post by TimS »

https://youtu.be/TR_TALWpkEE

Here is the full length video. I wanted to be able to explain the wiring mess before posting it. We had been checking everything. Getting cylinder #1 error codes (the cylinder with a misplaced gasket), crank sensor codes, etc. Although we had electronically checked everything, i wanted to visually check the wires for damage or cross current.

Here is the gasket...
IMG_20170505_155911871_HDR-450x800.jpg
You can see how much of it was misplaced. Early on in the troubleshooting I had felt a puff of air in a strange place, but I was more focused on the sputtering itself as a timing issue and not the puff. I had looked at this side at that time and saw tight bolts, and a gasket, and figured it was good.

Sounds great! Wish I took a few more pictures of the cage. The cage is beautiful!

PS. Not sure we can even call this 560 anymore. How many of the original parts survived? Rear Arms, bearings, transmission, ??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Geographically speaking, y'all are not right in each others back yards, so it is really cool to see y'all get together to help one another.
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
JUSSUMGUY

Post by JUSSUMGUY »

Many of the main parts of 560 remain even though some like the transaxle have been further modified. The 5.37 ring and pinion has been changed to 4.57. The close ratio 3rd and 4th still remain.
Rear trailing arms are the same except modified for use in a coilover car and not with a bolt on coilover kit. Front arms and rack and pinion are the same. Shifter, pedals, axles, cv,s etc are all re used. New is a pan, complete roll cage and different body and of course subaru engine.