City Baja II

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Volksmeister

Re: City Baja II

Post by Volksmeister »

A little progress lately

I got some used tires mounted up on my spare wheels. 235/75/15 fronts and 31X10.50-15 rears.
P1030455.jpg
P1030456.jpg
P1030457.jpg
I also got the tie rods stuffed with the old sway bar and sleeved them.
P1030467.jpg
The car is currently in the garage with the front end disassembled and waiting for front end adjusters to arrive.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm not who I am!
Volksmeister

Post by Volksmeister »

Well, I wanted to put this up here because it kind of pertains to this build. I know some of you guys have street VWs too!

I am trying to sell the wheel/tires/hub caps/spare that came off this car. I will be posting it in the Type 1 classifieds too... I hope it is OK to post this here.

Asking $450

Here is the text from my craigslist add:
P1030468.jpg
P1030469.jpg
P1030460.jpg
P1030461.jpg
P1030471.jpg
4ea Michelin Destiny P195/65R15 tires mounted on stock steel wheels complete with hub caps!

These Tires have 5,600 miles on them since new in 2011 and are in like new condition. Tread depth is 11/32in. Tires retailed new at $108.

Also included is a factory spare tire on stock wheel.

These came off of a clean street bug that was recently totaled :(

Get your old VW ready for winter with some fresh, good looking rims and rubbers!

Will consider sale without purchase of spare.

Please call: Levi---(two zero six) six six zero----seven four one two

Thanks for looking.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm not who I am!
Volksmeister

Post by Volksmeister »

Well, it's been a while but I still have all my junk! Its funny how busy life can get... My girl and I bought a frickin' house for crying out loud!

Anyhow, This car is pretty much done. The hood still needs paint and the it really needs a trans strap kit...

On out last trip out I was confined to riding in my buddy's kick-ass first gen Toyota as the bug was full of girls and being driven HARD!
IMG_1420.jpg
IMG_1446.jpg
IMG_1427.jpg
IMG_1428.jpg
IMG_1434.jpg
IMG_1437.jpg
IMG_1445.jpg
This truck mobs hard a fast. Pretty cool for a 4X4 and very well built. Strong and light with a lot of travel.
I'm not who I am!
JUSSUMGUY

Post by JUSSUMGUY »

Car looks great! Nice to see it out getting dirty!
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Where are you guys running. It almost looks like parts of the Pennsula.

Lee
Volksmeister

Post by Volksmeister »

Lee, you are correct! Tahuya ORV park. West of Belfair. It's a trek from home but always fun!
I'm not who I am!
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I looked it up and it isn't a park is is Thayua State Forest 4X4 Loop Trail and is about 3.4 miles from Belfair. I was born and grew up in Bremerton and waterskiied a lot between Tahuya, Twanoh state park and Belfair on Hoods Canal. We used to come into that area from Seabeck, Holly, Duatto (sp) via the old trail (actually a road or was what it was called back then) as well as via. Belfair. I wonder if the park is the old tree farm that was there. Got a couple of friends with places in the area.

Good to see that the area is being used by all not locked up again like it was by business and the old Pogie Club (hunting and fishing as I remember.

Lee
Volksmeister

Post by Volksmeister »

Some repairs began on Wednesday. Parts were waiting Friday when I got home. Trans strap kit installed ( these BS EMPI kits are lame but should function, the forward strap hangs below the frame horns 1/2"...). Front suspension adjuster in working order. Crushed beer cans in the shop...... We'll, pic files from phone too large. Will get pics up later after I can resize them on La Computadora. Cheers
I'm not who I am!
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I'm not sure what you meant by the forward strap hanging below the transaxle by about a half an inch but have you looked into a Kaffer bar yet? It will help keep the long transaxle mounts from flexing then sagging or breaking. Much cheaper than the cost of repair or a new Baja.

I still have to do mine :oops: on my blue buggy. I had built one for my black buggy before I was aware of them but it ended too far forward, before the "squashed" area for CV clearace and was straight back not angled to form a triangle.

One of the guys who used to ride with us took a long jump and his engine was almost dragging the ground after the landing. :roll: Nobody knows where the video of that jump is but I did get to see it before it disappeared.

Lee
bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

the empi bolt in trans strap kits have loops that go around the frame horns and they hang down about 1/2".
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Am I correct that this is not what you are talking about?
bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

there is another kit (maybe different part no.?) that has two piece loops that bolt around the framehorns and then the top strap is bolted to the top side of the loops. the loops hang down a bit.
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
Volksmeister

Post by Volksmeister »

I will get pictures put up soon. Lee, the forward strap on the "padded" EMPI kit is a little farther forward then what you pictured. Like Herbie said, the loops that go under the frame horns hang down about a half an inch. Turns out this was the least of my problems... More later.

I do have an idea for a fix to eliminate the low hanging "loops".

-Levi
I'm not who I am!
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I looked it up on line to see what you have as my 2010 catalogue doesn't show them.

I only know a couple of Baja Bug off-roaders (sand for me) and they run the same solid mounts that I do. Since the kits I saw looked that they could be used with stock "soft" mounts and there was a kit that had a solid mount adapter with the soft "catch" under straps I think I understand now (not! :lol: ) . I still think if you are getting to where the strap is a problem then you might want to look into a Kaffer/Truss bar.

Where do you buy VW parts locally (if you do)?

Lee
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Levi I think its time to get some bajas dirty...whataya say?
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!