Ed's Baja Bug build.

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Devastator

Re: Ed's Baja Bug build.

Post by Devastator »

Nice bearing housings.
Devastator's Build Thread

Sandrail

2.4 liter, supercharged Chevy Ecotec

"If everything seems under control, you're just not
going fast enough."
Mario Andretti
no1clyde

Post by no1clyde »

Thank you. Your car and your work is just awesome. I will be reviewing your rear arm build when I do mine.

Ed
no1clyde

Post by no1clyde »

Finished welding on the arms and shock towers and trimmed the gussets some today. Probably going to take some time off of this project and get my buggy ready for the BOR race and then the Idaho camping trip but here is a pic of todays work.
007 (480x360).jpg
I think I will work on the steering next, I have a Saginaw steering box I am going to try to use.

Ed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

With the parts just laying there it looks kind of like a kit doesn't it.

Lee
bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

Ol'Leatherneck has(had?) a saginaw box in his rail..... might look at his build thread.
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

Ol'Leatherneck has(had?) a saginaw box in his rail..... might look at his build thread.
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
no1clyde

Post by no1clyde »

Thanks Lee this is a kit just some assembly required :mrgreen:

Thanks Herbie I have seen Leathernecks and a couple of others too. Won't know what I do until I'm done :roll:

Ed
TimS

Post by TimS »

no1clyde wrote:Won't know what I do until I'm done :roll:

Ed
True story there. I feel the same way sometimes... There is an idea, then there is what actually happens. :)

Strong work!
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
TimS

Post by TimS »

Just a thought I had. I know the top of the shock has the bearings inside them, but on the top holes, it might be wise to weld in a bushing on each outside to give the bolt more surface area on the mount so it doesn't round it out. You can get bushings sized, or ream them to fit if you have the tools, but once the shock holes get some play, it will beat those top mounts to oval shapes in no time. I do this on my shock mounts.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
JUSSUMGUY

Post by JUSSUMGUY »

Perhaps something like this will work http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/FIXIT.html.

I sure wish my shock towers were that easy.
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Looking good!

Fun to follow along
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
TimS

Post by TimS »

What I do is take a sleeve like this...http://www.appletreeauto.com/SHOCK-BOSS ... fgodVhEA6A

Split it in half, bolt it all together, and weld one half to each side on the outside.
no1clyde

Post by no1clyde »

I was going to make some nice spacers but welding them in is a good idea, thanks.

Ed
Devastator

Post by Devastator »

no1clyde wrote:Thank you. Your car and your work is just awesome. I will be reviewing your rear arm build when I do mine.
Me? If so, thanks. :D
TimS wrote:Just a thought I had. I know the top of the shock has the bearings inside them, but on the top holes, it might be wise to weld in a bushing on each outside to give the bolt more surface area on the mount so it doesn't round it out. You can get bushings sized, or ream them to fit if you have the tools, but once the shock holes get some play, it will beat those top mounts to oval shapes in no time. I do this on my shock mounts.
Great idea!
Devastator's Build Thread

Sandrail

2.4 liter, supercharged Chevy Ecotec

"If everything seems under control, you're just not
going fast enough."
Mario Andretti
no1clyde

Post by no1clyde »

Me? If so, thanks. :D

Yes you Dev, your work is an inspiration for us fledgling mechanics :D