4 Seat Chenowth Repair

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
no1clyde

Re: 4 Seat Chenowth Repair

Post by no1clyde »

Great to see and it will be great having it on the Bodie ride. Good luck on a warm sunny weekend, we were -4 this morning.

Ed
TimS

Post by TimS »

I think it went some like this, Nate. "Hey, we are hanging out at the shop tonight if you wanna come.". I show up and you have engine on table. (Which I still think you just pulled out of the snowbank even though you said you just washed it) Party on! Much better than sitting in a bar. Thanks for letting me help.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
n8ball

Post by n8ball »

I am working on an art installation in my shop for the next few weeks, but here's the plan- Next week, Oregon wedding. Following week- Primm. Weekend after that, it will be sunny and warm, and I am hitting the Junkyard. In the meantime, get trans adapter, tube, sheet metal, quarter turn body panel fasteners, and anything else I can think of.
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

So maybe I'll be meeting you at Primm, then.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
Qurtys Lyn

Post by Qurtys Lyn »

He should be wandering around the 936 pit, Dusty.
Fusername's evil twin

'72 Std Beetle - 1641 CC
BRAT Motorsports #936
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

I will again be spending the majority of my time around the AGS pit. #569 and 590.
Richard
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

just watch our for tim in the bajalite!
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
TimS

Post by TimS »

dustymojave wrote:I will again be spending the majority of my time around the AGS pit. #569 and 590.
I'd like to meet you, Richard. Will anyone know you by "Dusty"? In my mind that is your name.

It sounds like Primm in going to be another family reunion. I'm looking forward seeing you all and Introducing Andy to our world.

Kyle and I are in 3022 and 3042.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

TimS wrote:
dustymojave wrote:I will again be spending the majority of my time around the AGS pit. #569 and 590.
I'd like to meet you, Richard. Will anyone know you by "Dusty"? In my mind that is your name.

It sounds like Primm in going to be another family reunion. I'm looking forward seeing you all and Introducing Andy to our world.

Kyle and I are in 3022 and 3042.
I think Dusty or Dustymojave is all anybody knows him as Tim :lol: This is what he left me on the windshield of my truck last year at Primm

It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

:lol:

Actually away from offroad forums on the net, nobody knows me as "Dusty Mojave". On some forums, such as AZBajas and DesertRides, I'm known as Mojaveracer208...More related to which user name was accepted by which forum software years ago when I had to change all of my user names from one that was name-based because Yahoo had incorrectly deleted my account and user ID. For instance, AZBajas software claimed that DustyMojave was already in use. I've still never encountered anyone else on there (or anywhere else!) using that ID.

"Richard Parcells" mentioned with the words ARTS Tech Inspector will get more recognition at races (more infamous, perhaps?). At last year's BAP, I KNEW whose truck that was by the license plates and recent description and photos of the truck posted on this forum. I felt the owner would better recognize that name. I encountered some members of SoCal Bajas who I hadn't previously met further down the row from CWB's truck. Again, the DustyMojave name came into play.

But if you describe me around there, others MAY refer you to another ARTS guy with a gray beard. But Red and I used to look quite a bit different, thus HIS nickname.

I'll be driving around in my non-desert looking metallic red Durango. Well, I suppose it DOES look like it has had a desert sunburn that's peeling now. :oops: If the weather is cool, there's a good chance I'll be walking around in a black ARTS Tech jacket or sweatshirt. Or maybe a black King hoody. If it's warm and you spot me, close your eyes quick! 8)

I would like to meet up with you Tim. I feel we've gotten to know each other pretty well through this forum.
Richard
Retired Fabricator
n8ball

Post by n8ball »

We'll be over at whiskey Pete's. Coming down Friday night. Looking forward to getting a little dirt in my teeth and watching some racing.
no1clyde

Post by no1clyde »

Sorry to say I wont be making it down. I wanted to but things are not working out for me, I was looking forward to meeting Andy and Dusty too.

Nate I am looking forward to seeing you on Richards weekend camp out.

Ed
JUSSUMGUY

Post by JUSSUMGUY »

Wife and i will be coming in on friday afternoon. Staying at Buffalo Bills. Will be around the 936 pit and also visitingTim and Kyles pit.
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

n8ball wrote:As it turns out, I am now the proud owner of this fine automobile. Unfortunately, a fist sized hole in the case is keeping me from enjoying said automobile. At first my plan was keep it super simple. Sumguy made me a deal on his old motor from the 560, with explicit instructions to have Mr It take a look. The assumption was the slight noise we could hear was a lifter issue that would easily addressed. Time to tear down. I did not dive right in, instead I waited for the opportune time. That came the Saturday that one TimS was in SLC, delivering a subi harness. Not sure who convinced who, but he spent his evening helping me through my first VW engine disassembly. What we found was a bent rod and a little crank rash. Bummer. Sumguy, was nice and offered me a refund, since this was no longer the simple swap I was hoping for. Talk about a stand up guy.

So now I have decided to go with the plentiful and cheap 2.2 ecotec. A little more work in the swap, but in the long run it should make things better. Last night, I got the old engine out. I am hoping for a sunny warm weekend soon to go hit the junkyard. I need to get an adapter, have a harness modified, and get it all into the car. I am planning on taking her on the Bodie trip, and I need a buggy for the summer. The sooner the better for the swap, as I want all the bugs to be taken care of, or at least be aware of them, by October.
I have a good ready to run 69 counterweighted Rimco crank, rods, light flywheel 8 doweled and 11/32, ready to slap in there. If you want to fix the old 560 engine. I hate to see people go liquid for something so easy to fix.
JUSSUMGUY

Post by JUSSUMGUY »

Steve- i bought the engine back as the problem with the engine was more extensive than i had thought and had represented to Nate.
Basically it needs a new rod, perhaps a piston and the crank polished or turned. Crank is currently 10 under so is still doable if in fact it does need to be turned. Im not sure what im going to do with the engine. Perhaps rebuild it, perhaps part it out.