STF GTG- The Grand Canyon Adventure Oct. 9-13 2015

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
bajaherbie

Re: STF GTG- The Grand Canyon Adventure Oct. 9-13 2015

Post by bajaherbie »

I showed the rattlesnake photo to my dentist... he said it was a Mojave rattler probably the most venomous rattler. He said the only chance of surviving a bite at the grand canyon would be an air evac flight.....
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
no1clyde

Post by no1clyde »

Great write up Kyle, just like I was there again. It was a awesome trip and the way all the problems were worked through was just as awesome. The timing of things was on our side for sure.

Thanks for finishing your story.

Ed
Last edited by no1clyde on Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Awesome write up Kyle!
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
69yellowbug

Post by 69yellowbug »

1 thing for sure I'll be better prepared next time. I will have a spindle on hand.
no1clyde

Post by no1clyde »

69yellowbug wrote:1 thing for sure I'll be better prepared next time. I will have a spindle on hand.
LMAO....better bring 2, a left for Tim and a right for me :lol:

I have replaced my brake lines and have yours in my car in a box and will return it to you for your spare parts stash, thanks. My stash now has a long and a short brake line in it too :D

Ed
bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

just watched a youtube vid on the Mojave snake.... highly aggressive and will chase after you. their venom is different, it attacks your nevous system.

I will add a set of snake tongs to my list. LOL
JUSSUMGUY

Post by JUSSUMGUY »

Thanks for the write up Kyle it was awesome. Im glad we only saw one rattle snake. Im sure there was plenty more around considering the terrain. Perfect rattlesnake habitat. Also glad we saw no tarantulas or other large spiders.
I have been asked what I used to route the trip. It was done with a combination of Google Earth and Benchmark Atlas's for Utah and Arizona. I highly recommend anyone getting a Benchmark Atlas for their area. They show a lot of the dirt roads and some two track in a given area. The route into SB point was all done with Google Earth.
Originally we were going to Torowep at the GC. Due to changes in Park regulations we would be unable to camp there and the camp ground there was not at the edge of the GC. Research showed there were some other areas of the GC accessable by vehicle and SB point was the closest to our route. Getting into and out of SB point took the longest time by far in the planning stages as except for the 25 miles or so coming out of SB Point I didn't want to backtrack. In our haste to get to the GC we did pass up a large petroglyph site.We all were very excited to get to the GC and the decision was made to skip the petroglyph site. That site will have to be visited on a future trip.
If anyone wanted to do the GC part of the trip only it would be very easy to start in St. George or Hurricane and make it to the GC in about slightly more than half a day depending on weather, cattle drives, and breakdowns.Could even start in Mesquite and go thru the mountains. Would probably take all day from Mesquite.
I learned a lot routing this trip and discovered many places that I want to explore further. The west desert is huge and begs to be explored more.
Thanks to all my old and new friends for making this trip truly a trip of a lifetime!
Looking forward to the next adventure! And subie power!
TimS

Post by TimS »

69yellowbug wrote:1 thing for sure I'll be better prepared next time. I will have a spindle on hand.

I took this snippet from a conversation Rattlesnake Ed and I were having months before the trip... I believe him when he says he will bring more stuff.

I learned a lot, too, this trip.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
69yellowbug

Post by 69yellowbug »

That's funny stuff. You need to quit predicting what's going to brake.
TimS

Post by TimS »

It's good to know one's weaknesses...

1. My front end
2. I will not slow down just because I'm worried about my weakness.
3. I will fail to prepare for failure of my known weakness.

Two of those can be fixed.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

fire extinguishers should be mandatory in all of the vehicles.....

I won't mention any names though!
no1clyde

Post by no1clyde »

OK Herbie I will get one.

Ed
kyle_pc_75

Post by kyle_pc_75 »

bajaherbie wrote:fire extinguishers should be mandatory in all of the vehicles.....

I won't mention any names though!
That's a really good point for all of us.
bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

fires sorta freak me out.... my parents house burned to the ground, all they got out were 2 cars, 2 coats and the dog. six months later my wife's gift shop burned...

I keep my fire extinguisher on the floorboard in front of my suspension seat for easy access.
TimS

Post by TimS »

I happened to be at the store when I read that.