STF GTG- The Grand Canyon Adventure Oct. 9-13 2015

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
TimS

Re: STF GTG- The Grand Canyon Adventure Oct. 9-13 2015

Post by TimS »

I have a little break action 22/410 that would be perfect for this. You can buy them for under $150, it's super lightweight, and cheap enough that I don't mind if it gets dusty. That might be an option, too, as opposed to a pistol.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
kyle_pc_75

Post by kyle_pc_75 »

TimS wrote:I had actually started on that journey, Google searched shops and planned to call and get contact numbers for weekends, but I was more concerned about tire repairs. Life got busy and halted that, though.

Good thoughts for future trips in areas where we will be on a Sunday.

How many carry a snake bit kit? Maybe, Ed, should give us all an in-service on handling snakes, too.
Great idea for future trips. You had already packed a lot of data into the GPS file such as gas, camps, fuel stops, etc. I was stoked to find anything open on Sunday in Hurricane.

I want to see Ed's list of everything he packed into that bug. As I've said, I was surprised any time I heard him say, "I don't have one of those."
smiley

Post by smiley »

Are any of you guys running a 12V fridge in your cars?
They are great for trips where you are going away and can't get ice for a while. But it looks like on this trip there were enough stops on the way for supplies and stuff.

Smiley :)
JUSSUMGUY

Post by JUSSUMGUY »

No one had a 12v fridge on this trip. We were able to replenish ice nearly everyday. Fridge would be a handy item on most trips.
I was just reading the other day about some on a site equipt.com.
Fridge would have to go inside which takes up a lot of room where most people were storing tents etc.Only a few of us had roof racks.
You are putting one in your car behind the front seats. Are you planning on a roof rack?
bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

I think ice works better...
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
smiley

Post by smiley »

Not planning on a roof rack. I might if I go with a rooftop tent, but I still haven't decided if I like that yet. But I don't really like the idea of putting stuff on the roof (probably a fear that has carried over from rolling the car :cry: ) I don't want to make it too top heavy.

The little Engel fridge I have is only a 29L but I can comfortably fit enough food in it for two people for an 8-9 day trip away. Doesn't leave much room for drinks, probably only on or two each initially, but you can fit more in after a day or two. I also have a lead on the exact same fridge but it's a 40L. Same dimensions it is just taller. If I can get that I think it would be perfect for bigger trips.

Smiley :)
TimS

Post by TimS »

Those 12v compressor fridge/freezers are very nice, but pricey. They seem to have been proven durable.

I traveled the country with a cheaper 12v cooler(not the compressor type) and it actually did quite well at keeping things cold, but sucked at getting things cold. We would leave it running around the clock and stuff would be almost frozen by morning and would warm up through the day. Never needed ice.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
takotruckin

Post by takotruckin »

For those not on FB, here are some of the best photo's I took uploaded to Flickr.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskjYaytg
TimS

Post by TimS »

As hard as it was to capture the grand canyon, you took some great pictures that made me feel the vastness all over again. Nice job, tako! Those aspens, too, were a wonderful backdrop of color.

There is one panoramic at the GC that I hope to print and enlarge. It is the panoramic with three people shadowed on the left, the sunset on the right, and the grand canyon in the middle.

Thanks so much for sharing.
bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

great pics!

most of mine suck!
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Good stuff
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
takotruckin

Post by takotruckin »

This was one of my favorites in the aspens. My Canon had a dead battery by this point, so it's a phone shot.

JUSSUMGUY

Post by JUSSUMGUY »

Outstanding pictures Tako!
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Keep them coming guys
no1clyde

Post by no1clyde »

A couple from the first day.
011 (480x360).jpg
021 (480x360).jpg
020 (480x360).jpg
Ed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.