Building Manxter DualSport to Race NORRA Mexican 1000

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Iguana

Re: Building Manxter DualSport to Race NORRA Mexican 1000

Post by Iguana »

Buy a Kit, Build a Dream
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

All that cage work...

And paint and fancy work

And STILL NO lateral diagonal in the roll cage... :shock:

Tsk tsk tsk... :roll:
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
Iguana

Post by Iguana »

dustymojave wrote:All that cage work...

And paint and fancy work

And STILL NO lateral diagonal in the roll cage... :shock:

Tsk tsk tsk... :roll:
Thanks for your concern, the pictures don't yet show the wires, brake lines, dust lights, window nets etc either and funnily enough just like them the lateral braces will be bolted in once in the buggy.

As this is not a Race Car it is a DualSports one of the primary aims was to keep the rear seat. This meant that we had to have a bolt in lateral as well as fuel cell mounts and spare tire rack.

We have one in the Tow'd, maybe we can share :D

Buy a Kit, Build a Dream
Iguana

Post by Iguana »

With no to long to go we are still soldiering on. We have a lot to do and not much time to do it in so hopefully it will all come together and work out.

The Manxter is still on the lift and Paul is focused on buttoning up as much as possible. I begin the wiring loom tonight so that should be a fun 24hrs of joy.

We have our race stickers in place and will add the sponsors on in the next few days as we button everything up..

The new 14" Jamar Pro X pedals have been mounted and will make sure there is plenty of pedal pressure

The shocks have arrived from Sonny at DownSouth Motorsports. It was great dealing with a guy who had a clue and was very helpful. We are looking forward to shock testing and tune as soon as possible so we can make sure the rates are right and they are performing as best they should.

Paul has finished the custom radiators and we managed to get the same setup to work in both the Tow'd and the Manxter which makes spares better.

Buy a Kit, Build a Dream
Iguana

Post by Iguana »

Days are turning into hours and the boys are still pumping stuff out. The last few hours have been all about the wires and hopefully the Manxter will fire up today some time.

The loom is custom and made in house using stuff from ProWire USA. It all looks so simple when it is sitting there looking after itself.

As I have the buggy here and it is mine to do with what I want I am free handing the loom as it will be a one off. Once I have my wire lengths I cut them out and bundle them.

You will note there is NO electrical tape here only blue panters tape. If you use electrical tape it leaves a residue when you pull it off and that makes it a PITA to get into the heat shrink. By using blue tape you can peel it off as you feed it in. If I get stuck I use baby powder or food frade stick and bake to help get it in.

Wire is a mix or gauges depending on the circuit.

Next I do the dash LayOut, having in house CNC from Arclight it is very easy to play around with different designs until you get one you like. In this case I have added the battery isolater to the dash as I will swap it out after the race but need it accessible in accordance with NORRA for this one.

Panel has the Pash Pro 2 and Motec KeyPad all running through a Motec PDM.

Image Image

Now I get some seat time and hopefully in another 10 hrs of so the loom will be done, tested and installed. It will all be done in DR Heat Shrink and any areas of concern will be dual wall or triple wrapped..
Buy a Kit, Build a Dream
Iguana

Post by Iguana »

So the loom was finished up on the bench and then off to Delicious Tuning for a once over and to check out the MAP's after doing some learn runs. As we are behind on the time line we tested it in the Tow'd but that is the same setup and engine as the Manxter so it will be close enough.

All the ECU Box's we build are universal and can be swapped in and out if the need arises. They contain all the functions we need and interface through a few panel mount deutsch connectors and then use fly leads to ODB2 etc as needed.

You can view the Map's like any aftermarket ETC and modify as required, that is as long as you are smart enough which the guys at Delicious are :)

Meanwhile back at the shop Paul is still busting ass on the build.

Pedals are all in and bled up, PDM is mounted and I am just trying to find clear slace to get in and hook it up.

Paul has weaved his magic and finished off the RPM Headers with a sweet centre output muffler. The Donaldson power flow is in clear air and easy to swap cartidges should the need arise.

Not much left to do but tick items off the board and hope time left = time needed.

Buy a Kit, Build a Dream
BAJA-IT

Post by BAJA-IT »

Keep going, just a few more days left.

You're doing a great job!
BRAT Motorsports #936
Bolt Center: Salt Lake City, Ut
ACE: Air Cooled Engineering, now Black Line Racing
Iguana

Post by Iguana »

Down to hours and no longer counting in days the boys and I were lucky enough to make it out to the desert to do shock test and tune with Sonny from DownSouth Motorsports (http://downsouthmotorsports.com/). It was funny to watch them drive the buggy back and forward and see the look on their face as Sonny did his thing and made the car improve with every run.

End result was 15" a corner of usable travel and taking the woops as a respectable speed. By the end of the day it was well worth it and I can't recommend Sonny enough as his knowledge and explanations have made us all that bit smarter.

The DSBE is starting to take shape and should have a great race in a few days time.

We got good and pulling the shocks off and on for Sonny but it was well worth the effort

Engine ran well and Chris from SubieWorks gets a big thumbs up :)

The amount of knowledge Sonny had on what needed to be done was very impressive. He just stood back, watched and tweaked .. sweet.

Another big bonus was the info Sonny passed on and how he not only did his thing he passed on explanations and experience. Paul from SteelArt Creations in Brendale as in his element as a fellow shock tuner.

The Man is his Magic Cave.

Team Tow'd came out as well and got some shock love.

All that said and done I think the last picture is the best. This is Paul from SteelArt Creations in Brisbane and his is my main fabricator. This pictures was after we had been up for about 40 hrs straight getting the Manxter to where it is, he slept all the way out to the desert but after a quick ride he was happy to say it was worth the effort.

That is the biggest thing we all love what we do and working with Meyers Manx just makes it all that much better.

Buy a Kit, Build a Dream
rickosuave1987

Post by rickosuave1987 »

I think I've said it before... but I will say it again...

You guys are nuts!

And I mean that in the kindest way...

I will be in Ensenada Saturday! Hopefully I will get a chance to talk to you!
Baja
HookIt

GK Electric & Suave Racing - Looking for sponsors!!
SuaveRacing FaceBook
Thank you to SuaveRacing Sponsors for your support!
Iguana

Post by Iguana »

rickosuave1987 wrote:I think I've said it before... but I will say it again...

You guys are nuts!

And I mean that in the kindest way...

I will be in Ensenada Saturday! Hopefully I will get a chance to talk to you!
lol thanks for the comments, you are correct we are NUTS ... all part of Being Aussies in the US of A.

We will be there with the team and a few last minute surprises...
Buy a Kit, Build a Dream
bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

good luck!
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Awesome Job guys! Good luck have fun
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
TimS

Post by TimS »

Wow! Best of luck!
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
rickosuave1987

Post by rickosuave1987 »

Well Iguana, his team, and both cars made it to Ensenada! Saw them there yesterday, got to meet and chat with him for a little while.

The manx was looking good, and the team seemed excited.

Good luck fellas!!

Baja
HookIt

GK Electric & Suave Racing - Looking for sponsors!!
SuaveRacing FaceBook
Thank you to SuaveRacing Sponsors for your support!
race-desert

Post by race-desert »

Glad to see these guys make it! if you wanna follow/track them here is a link..
http://www.volocore.com/index/m1k_2015/
look under the truck catagory, then in "vmeyers" and click on there name and number
the manx is #00
the towd is #166