Honda V6 with Subaru transmission

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
tikotiko

Honda V6 with Subaru transmission

Post by tikotiko »

Has anyone married a subi trans with a honda v6
I just wanna drive it that's it.
Spheromike

Re: Subaru Baja Bug

Post by Spheromike »

Do they even make a adapter plate for that? That would be the question? I plan on using hydraulic clutch set up
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

tikotiko wrote:Has anyone married a subi trans with a honda v6
Good question!
Spheromike

Post by Spheromike »

Turns out they do not make one
ttriebler

Post by ttriebler »

I could easily make an adaptor plate and flywheel to suit Honda V6 to Subaru trans.
Design would take about two days. Manufacture a couple of weeks.
I have all the relevant software and have already done a bunch of different adaptor plates like LSX etc.
All I need is someone that wants to do it, has access to a motor and a pair of digital calipers.
Leatherneck

Re: Honda V6 with Subaru transmission

Post by Leatherneck »

I split this topic to not cluster the Subaru engine Baja build. What year Honda V6's are the same and is an Acura the same specs as a Honda?
ttriebler

Post by ttriebler »

Cool! If someone on here has the V6 Honda motor that is used in offroad and wants to create the adaptor, I will create it and share the process on STF. It can then be available to purchase online at www.subarugears.com

Just come forward and I will outline what measurements are needed (digital calipers a MUST) and we]ll get it done. If someone already has a Honda V6 to VW trans adaptor plate then that will be helpful too.
ttriebler

Post by ttriebler »

Here's a guide to the measurements needed off the crankshaft (LSX motor shown purely for example) :

1. The hole drilled in the center of the crank for the transmission input shaft. O.D. of this hole (probably about 12mm) and depth of this hole (probably about 10mm).

2.The nose that supports the flywheel. O.D. of this nose and depth of the nose past the mounting surface of the flywheel. (i.e. how much material supports the flywheel).

3. The size and thread of any holes and dowel holes that bolt the flywheel to the crank. These are likely to be metric (e.g. 12mm x 1.5 pitch thread). How many holes are there and are they evenly spaced? (Sometimes one hole is slightly to the left or right of even spacing in order that the flywheel is always put on the same location relative to the crank.) Easy to measure the distance between holes with calipers to confirm. Also need to know the PCD of the holes (Pitch Circle Diameter). This is found by measuring distance between the insides of two opposing holes and the outsides of two opposing holes. Calculate the distance between 'inside' and 'outside' measurements, halve it and add to the 'inside measurement' to get the PCD.

4. The distance in depth between flywheel mounting face on the crank and the bellhousing face on the block. Often these are on the same plane, but sometimes the flywheel mounting face on the crank can protrude past the back of the block.

Any pictures and measurements of the transmission input shaft support bearing are also helpful. (I.D. , O.D. , Thickness and if it runs in the crank or in the flywheel.)
ttriebler

Post by ttriebler »

Here's what needed for the engine block (again LS engine as example):

1. Distance from crank center to all engine block threaded holes and dowels. (absolute CRITICAL dimension to ensure transmission input shaft is centered in crank). ID and threads of holes and dowels and O.D. and depth of any dowels.

2. Distance between all engine block threaded holes and dowels. This provides the locations of all those holes in conjunction with their distance from the center of the crank.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

I will get you some measurements.
tikotiko

Post by tikotiko »

The messed up part for me is I have a brand new adapter plate and flywheel on my v6 mounted to a 002 trans it would be a waste of money to start over but doesnt mean im not interested maybe I can hold on to that setup and try something different
tikotiko

Post by tikotiko »

And by the way thank u for moving this leather
Getrdone

Post by Getrdone »

Although I lack the time at the moment. I have a Honda block, digital calipers and a aces to large laser scanner. I'll check back in the future to see where this ends up. I could set the block directly on the scanner and probably get all the measurements in a few minutes
ttriebler

Post by ttriebler »

Let's see how we go. Leatherneck hopes to post some dimensions up here by Friday(ish) so we'll see how we go building a model. :-)
ttriebler

Post by ttriebler »

Is it this bad boy?

1996 - 2004 3.5 V6 ?

What are the different engines, engine designations and vehicles that use this V6 or variants thereof, that could use this adaptor plate?