64 Baja Bug BUG JUNK upgrade thread

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
5.0 Chero

64 Baja Bug BUG JUNK upgrade thread

Post by 5.0 Chero »

New to forum picked up a 64 baja awhile back will be posting some about it Joined Samba do not really care for their sites atmosphere

Changed the name of this thread did not see the need to start a new one for the Build/up grade this will be a beater street Baja Bug to drive while I part the Chero for much needed work
Last edited by 5.0 Chero on Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
no1clyde

Re: new to site with 64 baja bug

Post by no1clyde »

Welcome to the forum, a lot of us started there and came here. I will guess you have a 5.0 Ranchero, well I have one too. Mine is a 67. We like pics so put some of your Baja on for us.

Ed
bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

w-w-w-w-welcome...
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Welcome to the dirt pile, you like it here way better then TOS

We like pics here also so post up your ride
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Welcome to the dirt pile. I've had 5 rancheros over the years. Fun things to have and to play with. Another one of those "I wish I had another one of them" things.

Lee
Getrdone

Post by Getrdone »

Welcome, ignore Herbie. What ever he says from this point forward is all down hill! There is good info here, but we are all more on the dysfunctional side than the functional side. I'm really the only real normal person here. Everybody else is NUTS!
JUSSUMGUY

Post by JUSSUMGUY »

Welcome to the Dirt Pile. Now let's see some pics!
5.0 Chero

Post by 5.0 Chero »

Thanks for the welcome
Remember you guys asked for pictures
Yes I do have a 5.0 powered Ranchero its a 73 mild custom JUNK PYL in on the tags its been my Daily driver for close to 15 years now
more pics http://www.supermotors.net/registry/2171/10365

Picked up the bug to use so I could park the PYL and do some much need work on it
as bought
first thing to go was seats the day I bought it
they were ok but I found these the next week at PIP 1/2 price sale Porsche 944
Had issues with brakes fount that they were shot only thing good was backing plates took me A month to decide on swapping in Disc or just replacing all the drum parts could not stick with drums used an EMPI wide 5 swap kit ok but not all that great. lost interest for a few months after starting install. Picked up 944 brakes to use on the rear Have not started that swap yet been working on a "BAJA RACK" for it
first rendition $100 ebay rack
then I decided it would look better on the bug turned around
I liked the look better and the lights would even fit in the 5 openings
baja rack need a high lift
will be adding a tube over the locking lug nut to make it harder to remove
more trimming will be done on light mount

working on a spare tire mount for the rack will post more pics as I work progresses
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Looks good but I am not sure about the air-foil shape at high speeds though :wink: .

You are starting with a better the average Baja which is always nice to have. Very clean looking in the photos. The brake issue always seems to come up sooner or later.

Two of my Rancheros were from the same era as yours. Nice comfortable ride. I do like the treatment of the engine though; I have a SBF sitting on a stand right now that would look good gussied up like that. Need to find a body for it first.

Lee
5.0 Chero

Post by 5.0 Chero »

I got two sbf on stands in the shop a exploder 5.0 and a 408 windsor stroker motor as well as a spare bug motor sittin on the ground

Do not think I will need to worry about high speed lift with the bug...
Last edited by 5.0 Chero on Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
turbobaja

Post by turbobaja »

Cool Baja! I like the profile of that rack too, especially in the current position.
Karl

DON'T QUIT
no1clyde

Post by no1clyde »

Baja looks like a nice clean car and I too like the rack this way. I like your seats, that will be far more comfortable to drive and ride in.

My Ranchero was the first car I drove back when I was 12 years old, my dad bought it new in 67. I hit a cow with it in 77 and it sat in a field for over 30 years after that. About 6 years ago I went to work on it and this is it now.
001 (480x360).jpg
002 (480x360).jpg
It is just a stock 5.0 out of a 88 Crown Vic with the matching AOD behind it. I did the body work and paint my self and the seat is out of a Town Car and comfortable. It has been a great car again and was my DD for the last 5 years but I now have retired it for awhile to drive a modern car with air and cruse :lol:

Ed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fred1214

Post by Fred1214 »

Welcome to STF!
What area of California do you live in?

Fred
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

Welcome over from TOS!

Another Ranchero guy! I used to have a '61 Falcon Ranchero with a '63 260 V8. But it had rust issues around the bottoms of the B Pillars from time it had spent in another part of the planet. But I already had a '61 F100 with a 428 Cobra Jet and a '61 Falcon Wagon that's a family heirloom. So I passed the Ranchero on to a friend. I knew about Ed's Ranchero. I have similar drivetrain plans for my Falcon Wagon. 5.0 with fuel injection and an AOD. It has a 170 with a 68 Mustang C4 from behind a 302 that I swapped in many moons ago. Granada disc brakes for the front and an 8.8 axle.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

glad to see you turned the roof around...... :D
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.