ugh, not again already

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
cbeck

Re: ugh, not again already

Post by cbeck »

Yes, that does make sense. Once it is all in place, I plan on adding the flanges one at a time. After those are complete I can unbolt it and see how much wiggle room I have. I would like to do slugs to support the flanges on the rear verticles.I think a even a .5 or .75 overlap will go a long way for additional support of the flanges.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I agree with the short length; 1/2 would be minimum with 3/4 maybe being a bit stronger... again, maybe. The 1/2 should be easier to make the join if the fit is tight or flexing is at a minimum. I think I would not make the flange up tight against the horizontal tube mostly for bolt head access. I would not weld the bolt head in place on the flange Incas the weld breaks or the bolt bends or breaks. Been in that situation a couple of times before when someone else got a brilliant idea :roll: .
Lee

My opinion is worth slightly less than what you paid for it.
cbeck

Post by cbeck »

What a shock, wind chill in the teens all day after mid 70's for the last couple of weeks. Got some more tubes fit. Put in a tube to start my push rod protectors. Stared at that tube for a hour, don't think it is going to stay.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

An inner sleeve at a flange is a great way to reinforce the joint. It doesn't even need to be extra heavy wall. Just .095 wall would work great. The sleeve needs to be about 3" long from the joint. That inner sleeve should be rosette welded to the outer tubing. Then the sleeve needs to extend the other side of the joint by only 1/2 to 1".
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
cbeck

Post by cbeck »

Should have done this a year ago. Knocked this piece out in about 3 minutes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

It will be heavy when it's done. Especially with the angle iron on it. But it'll be strong.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
cbeck

Post by cbeck »

My drunk had his day in court finally. I will start by thanking law enforcement for puttong it on the line every day, and their family's for stressing out wondering if they will come home today. For the judges, I hope there is a special place for you :evil:
3 90 day sentences. Wait, my favorite part, suspended imposition w/2 years supervised. And my next favorite part, a ignition interlock.WTF :shock: he doesn't have a car or a license. No wonder cops shoot the dirtbags they must be tired of arresting. I have been telling my wife for over 30 years they all suck except you and me :lol:
If you have nothing better to do-mo casenet.gov,search thomas ridens. 3 full pages dating back to 1999.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

As I told Travis today: this is pretty much how the world works. Some times you don't know who really is on top, the legal system or the drunk but you can bet that 99% of the time it is you on the bottom! :roll: :twisted:
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

at least you dont get a sunburn at the bottom
Travis
I spend way to much time on this site
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

bikesndbugs wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:27 pm at least you dont get a sunburn at the bottom
:lol: :lol: :lol: True Travis, very observant but... there are other types of "getting burned" out there with a sun burn not being at the top of the "least wanted" list.
cbeck

Post by cbeck »

I keep seeing a 86 vanagon for cheap, 200$. Is the trans in that desirable?
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

cbeck wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:14 am I keep seeing a 86 vanagon for cheap, 200$. Is the trans in that desirable?
https://weddleindustries.com/transaxles ... ty-vanagon

sounds like it take some funky linkage but is stronger.
Travis
I spend way to much time on this site
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Do a search here as there have been some pix of shiftier conversions to this style of transaxles.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Some of the early vanagon transmissions can be converted to std 091 shift setup.

The Vanggon automatic is bullet proof with any VW motor you could possibly ever build.
They have seen 800+ HP with some internal mods.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
cbeck

Post by cbeck »

Cage starting to come together. One side tacked. Not quite how I saw it i my mind, but I am my own worst enemy. She's not fat, she's sturdy.
The hf notcher is going to go back. already stripped 2 of the 5 bolts used for adjustments. 60* notches is not a pipe dream, but needed some creativity on my part. If you try for more than 60* you may cut into the bottom strap that secures the tubing in the notcher. It doesn't have enough adjustment built into it to raise the hole saw high enough to start, and then I ran out of saw depth to cut in one pass without removing some of what will be offal. Won't notch near a bend either. While I was sitting there staring at it, I had the urge to do a straight cut on the exhaust above the collector, and rotate it to the rear and up a little {here I go thinking again}.