ugh, not again already

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
cbeck

Re: ugh, not again already

Post by cbeck »

Front uppers and lowers, 1/4 key stock on each side of each beam clamp, and some tabs for a later to be installed front bulkhead.Stripped and ready to go out for final welding as soon as I clean the garage enough to squeeze it out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Is your compression stop the round stock against your upper arm in 2nd picture? Your making some nice progress.
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

That piece of round stock is the new droop stop.

I strongly recommend that round stock be welded into a hole through the shock tower upright. Then weld both sides of the upright.

I tried to copy the location of that pic that cbeck posted of the round stock droop stop, but the new STF doesn't allow that apparently.
It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image. Please verify that the URL you entered is correct.
So just scroll up your own self. :(

The new STF doesn't like pictures from Photobucket or other online photo storage and sharing sites either. So maybe I just won't help in the future. :roll:
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

From my experience Photobucket is a problem in itself. Since you now have to pay to no see ads it seems to be harder and harder to deal with it. I have been using the "attachments" thing here using my edited pictures on my PC but weird things are still happening here.
cbeck

Post by cbeck »

Yea,I thought that droop would be better than using the shock. Since that is a unused shock boss with a 1/2 " inside dia, would drilling a 1/2" hole thru the backside (shock tower) and into the 1/8 plate between the tubes 1/2-3/8", cut a 1/2"bolt (shank only grade8) and weld on the back side while welding the shank flush with the boss to fill the bolt hole be acceptable at this point?

I have been resizing my pics on the desktop to 600x400 before stf will accept them.

Have a android but don't really care to use tapatalk. (You know us guys in the midwest avoid change)
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Try dropping jpeg quality to ~85%, makes for a much smaller file with ~no noticeable visual loss, and should allow 800x600 at least.
(I think the current limit is something weird like 1000x1000 and 256kb)
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

cbeck wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:38 pm Yea,I thought that droop would be better than using the shock. Since that is a unused shock boss with a 1/2 " inside dia, would drilling a 1/2" hole thru the backside (shock tower) and into the 1/8 plate between the tubes 1/2-3/8", cut a 1/2"bolt (shank only grade8) and weld on the back side while welding the shank flush with the boss to fill the bolt hole be acceptable at this point?

I have been resizing my pics on the desktop to 600x400 before stf will accept them.

Have a android but don't really care to use tapatalk. (You know us guys in the midwest avoid change)
Tapatalk images only show when reading the forum posts on phones with Tapatalk app working. They have never shown on my computer from any of the posts on any of the forums where I find them. I find them rather irritating. Sort of like if I were to write a post referring to images that I didn't add to the post.
drilling a 1/2" hole thru the backside (shock tower) and into the 1/8 plate between the tubes 1/2-3/8", cut a 1/2"bolt (shank only grade8) and weld on the back side while welding the shank flush with the boss to fill the bolt hole be acceptable at this point?
Not as good as boring the plate to the OD of the shock boss tube and welding it through the plate. But better than just butt-welding it to the face of the 1/4" plate. You might want to extend that bolt a good inch past the 1/4" plate. You might want to chamfer the outer end of the inside bore and let the rosette weld help provide tensile strength to the assembly.
Richard
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Or use straps...just another option.

But really the spring rates on this light buggy will probably not be pounding those stops out like mine did. dusty has good advise and has been there and done it....a lot.
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
cbeck

Post by cbeck »

Finally welded. 10+ lbs wire. cage shifted 1/4" after I took it off to weld the inside. Also has a jack stand incident that will cause me to redo a ebrake cable tube.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

You are making some good progress, able to roll the frame around on it's back. That is the only time it is acceptable.
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Nce! they are heavier then they look like they should be huh?
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
cbeck

Post by cbeck »

I am guessing 250-300 lbs heavier when finished. It wasn't much more than a basic frame when I started.
cbeck

Post by cbeck »

Got to roll her over and prep the other side. Earl schieb is starting to sound good right about now.
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

Dude! I have a receipt from when Earl Scheib painted my '61 Falcon! "$29.95" - Bottom line! Of course, the Falcon was my grandfather's then.

Your frame looks more like primer now, not so much like rust.
Richard
Retired Fabricator
cbeck

Post by cbeck »

I didn't think it would take a year and a half to get this far. I can see how easy this would have been to turn into a 5 year progect.