ugh, not again already

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Piledriver

Re: ugh, not again already

Post by Piledriver »

The HF notcher makes a good basic foundation for one of these DIY setups:
The Notch-O-Matic:
http://www.chopperhandbook.com/notcher.htm

I haven't gone there yet as I just modded my HF unit a little to do what I wanted to get done... but the notch-o-matic looks like a simple and very useful mini-project.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

I replaced the bolts in my HF notcher many years ago. And learned that sometimes it needs a little shimming to get the tube centered vs the hole saw. My biggest issue with it has been the threads on the arbor where the hole saw threads on. They're not real good. But for the buck...they're the best bang by far. I could buy a few of the HF ones before I could pay for the next lowest price one.

Your bumper cage is becoming quite stout for a buggy. You may need to step up to beefier torsions once you're done.
8)
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

IIRC I had to grind the "V" notch a bit to get the axes aligned on mine.
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
cbeck

Post by cbeck »

I am thinking about resizing/tapping the 2 bolts that hold the arbor block onto the frame as opposed to returning . Probably would strip the next one also.
I am sure I need bigger torsions. I am going to weigh the rear so I can try to get the right ones the first time. I am at 30* preload already and the axles are almost running level out to the stubs. (Stock 22mm bars currently )
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

:shock: 30°, with that much preload my buggy rode almost like a tank. I think you do need to upgrade... a lot :lol: .
Lee

My opinion is worth slightly less than what you paid for it.
cbeck

Post by cbeck »

Got the cage tacked together and flanges added. After I break it down I plan on trying to sleeve the flanges, and do a skid plate/tabs. Need to do a punch list before I take it to a friends millermatic for final welding. If you see anything I am missing, please speak up. Jacked up the rear to where I want it to sit, and have 11.5" to the bottom of the cage. It used to sit at 12" with the torsions cranked to the factory stops. The front has settled in at 16.5" with the adjusters all the way down.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

That's a serious lookin rear cage, all nicely done!
cbeck

Post by cbeck »

Wow, look at the fancy new controls I'll never use. Guess I haven't posted since stf came back online. Got the cage off, looks like I need a few tweaks. Measured the tubing in the cage, came up to over 29 feet. Trying to make a punch list to do before final welding while breaking it down. It's almost a full page long now. Ass end raised back up where I want it after all the weight was removed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

'S coming along! Paint always does clear up a lot of confusion with tubes running every which way :wink: but it is looking much better.
Lee

My opinion is worth slightly less than what you paid for it.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Engine cage is looking real good . Keep it up.
cbeck

Post by cbeck »

Working on the punch list. Got 3 items today. IRS upper bumps, pivot bolt retainers, and the trans strap bolts.
cbeck

Post by cbeck »

Engine cage tweaked and ready for welding. Except for skidplate tabs.Added 3 pieces of tubing across the bottom between the a pillars to try to push out po's good times. Would putting a 1" X in the 4 kinda square sections under my ass and knees be worthwile :?: Remember I am a f@#ktard magnet :shock:
cbeck

Post by cbeck »

Piddled in the driveway for a couple of hours after work.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Room for a spare//armrest? :lol:
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Piledriver wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:11 pm Room for a spare//armrest? :lol:
Have to have room for a cup holder, oh and don't forget the USB charger and room for firewood, might as well put a hitch on it. .