Freaking idiot Wilkey! Police will be on us now.

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Piledriver

Re: Freaking idiot Wilkey! Police will be on us now.

Post by Piledriver »

Bruce2 wrote:You guys should know better than to babble on about a vid without posting the link!

I didn't want to reward idiocy with more link hits..
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Spheromike

Post by Spheromike »

Piledriver wrote:
Bruce2 wrote:You guys should know better than to babble on about a vid without posting the link!

How I feel. And very worried for guys that like to take there car for a cruise may now be harassed.
subwoofer

Post by subwoofer »

Are these things actually street legal over there? I can't even start to imagine the paperwork needed to get plates on a thing like that over here.
Joachim
- Fia, '14 Fiesta Titanium
- Frk Jensen, '74 Jensen-Healey
- Kengu, '90 Caravelle C Syncro

Diesel is good for cleaning parts...
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

subwoofer wrote:Are these things actually street legal over there? I can't even start to imagine the paperwork needed to get plates on a thing like that over here.
In some places in the country the can be licensed for the street but in other places ... no!
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Ol'fogasaurus wrote:
subwoofer wrote:Are these things actually street legal over there? I can't even start to imagine the paperwork needed to get plates on a thing like that over here.
In some places in the country the can be licensed for the street but in other places ... no!
Rules vary by state. Some municipalities impose additional restrictions.

There is a DOT (federal) total width limit of 80" that Baja may have had issues with.
Usually its for trailers.

In Texas, windshield wipers are only required if you have a windshield, which is optional.
I think that's logical.

Fenders? No.
You can register a rail as an antique given the tunnel section with the VIN from a VW pan welded in, its easy.
A Meyers Manx is explicitly called out as an example of what's allowed.
So would be a TOW'd
Rest of it is pretty straightforward if you have a valid title already.

Safety wise, It has to have safe tread depth, stop, have a working parking brake, have turn signals, brake lights and headlights, hi/lo may be an option, if it HAS high and low beams they must work and be aimed properly.
I haven't seen a headlight aim tool in a shop in a long time, but I don't get out much.

If its a late model it need to pass emissions testing if your county has emissions testing.
sniff only, there is no visual, but must not be showing a check engine light.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Getrdone

Post by Getrdone »

The problem is someone is asking these questions here now. Hoping it will blow over. I haven't had the car out since. Just because I've been busy
Projectile Motion

Post by Projectile Motion »

A buddy of mine sent me a link to that video a few days back. I must admit I was amused at first only because I recognized some of the streets and had imagined jumping a car on them when I was a kid. Then I thought, "that guy is going to make us all look bad." A few minutes later my friend sent me another link to a video clip of the channel 8 news "investigating" the reckless YouTube driver. Then I just thought, "great, here we go!"
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

That car may have been street registered, but it DEFINITELY was NOT "street legal" for driving in California. There are many issues where that car itself violates the California Vehicle Code, aside from the "reckless driving", trespassing and other shennanigans.

Another vote for What a FOOL!

My community is used a great deal for filming for TV, movies, ads, music videos, still photos, etc. The roads being used are ALWAYS closed or at least police controlled.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
GoMopar440

Post by GoMopar440 »

Well, the long arm of the law finally caught up to this idiot.
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/new ... ing-stunt/

End result: 45 days in jail, 3 years probation, plus a minimum of a 6 month suspension of his driving license. They also added two more weekends in jail for a probation violation as well. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
Piledriver wrote:
The article claimed the video had over 1.1 million hits to date. I'm not going to the vid to check the exact number just to end up giving it another "view" in the process.
Home made rail (street legal), 1600 DP, 34PICT-3, T3 brakes, 4-1 glass-pack exhaust, 31's in back and 7.00x15's up front. Link to build thread: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=147561&p=1227553#p1227553
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

And you thought the rides at Disneyland were expensive!!!!
Marc

Post by Marc »

He got 45 days in jail & 3 years probation. I presume he took a plea deal to get 20 of 26 charges dropped; no idea what his legal costs were. http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-m ... story.html
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgoG8O4wal4

cant figure out how to post the video but heres a link apparently hes gonna make another one. Maybe he will never learn not to be an idiot. Ive heard this one will be all on private property.
Travis
I spend way to much time on this site
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Some people love that 15 min, no matter the cost.
TimS

Post by TimS »

$2 per thousand views. Do the math.

I bet the next one is all on private property or he gets permits.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

I value my integrity and morals to not sell so cheaply, now $2.24 might do it though.