Here We Go: DD Build

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Leatherneck

Re: Here We Go: Desert Dynamics Build ( Desert Dynamics Sucks )

Post by Leatherneck »

CentralWAbaja wrote:
Leatherneck wrote:Ya have to stop stroking Wades ego, he is ridiculous now.
Dude I totally hijacked his thread with my own coolness pics. I had to do something to make up for it. :lol:
Thought for a minute you were going to just start a new thread in this one. :lol:

BTW Wade, went out on the river today in the Boat. First time I have seen a Pontoon boats motor come out of the water, well coming to a sudden stop because he hit a sandbar might of helped.. Guy blew right past " Closed Area" buoys, I asked him if he saw them, he said" THougth it was closed to PWC" $450 later they pulled him off the sandbar. Worse then that a Boat from MN was falling close behind, he saw the boat stop, people fly forward and he was still hell bent on following his wake past the buoys too, ignorance runs rampant on this river. . It was funny.
DeMinimis

Post by DeMinimis »

I know those guys. Up here they drive 70mph on icy roads, but it's cool because they have four wheel drive.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Got home today from doing pottery then going shopping for chow and turned on the TV where a car build show I had never seen before was on. Their guest was someone from Rod End Supply and he had a whole cart full of rod ends laid out to display and talk about. Most of them I either was familiar with or variations of versions I was familiar with. One in particular I had never seen before was a offset rod end where the "eye" was not in line with the tube/shaft. All of them were interesting to say the least but that one especially was so.

For what its worth.

Lee

Typo fix
Last edited by Ol'fogasaurus on Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeMinimis

Post by DeMinimis »

Thanks Lee. I think I have this worked out. We shall see.
DeMinimis

Post by DeMinimis »

Okay Dave, keep up. The correct "T" (shock mount tube gussets) for these mounts requires 1.5" tube (top tube of a "T") and 1.25" tube (vertical part of a "T"). Thats how they're set up on the chassis and that's how the mounts are designed to be used. "T" gussets on these arms are just 1.25". So cut off the wrong 1.25 tube and left the correct 1.25 tube.
20170211_200343-600x800.jpg
So the 1.25" tube gussets are centered in the 1.75" tube arms. I had to make the 1.5" tube gusset to replace the now gone 1.25". Now the easy thing would be to also center the 1.5" tube. However, if I mounted the 1.5 tube I'm making flush with the bottom of the arms, that would be better for shock positioning (want the mounts as low as possible because the arms are narrower than orig). That basically lowers the mount by .25" (actually more because it tilts down more because of the asymmetrical way I'm making the "T" (the 1.25 tube top is flush with the top of the 1.5" as not centered). I'll post a pic later that better 'splains this.

So, I had to make some crazy, complicated, offset and asymmetrical notches to do this with the 1.5" tube. Behold:
20170211_200439-600x800.jpg
Old pic of the underside on the mounts for reference. Just gotta trust me, I'm doing some engineering.
20170211_222644.jpg
Still slowly chipping away at it (trimming to fit). Almost there.
20170212_101118-600x800.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

You have got yourself one nice erectorset. Your getting there. Bet you have learned a few things on this one.
DeMinimis

Post by DeMinimis »

Thanks. Learned lots of things: James David (Dave) Lawson (Owner of Desert Dynamics) is a giant piece of_____. He's a ___ sack of ____. And, he's something of a ____. Learned a few other things too.

Also learned if you care, you can make tight joints (if you care).
20170212_121146-600x800.jpg
Left lower tacked and ready to go to the welder (then back so I can fit the center (bushing section) and BP mount). "T" joint is now 90 degrees, like it should be (not like how poop-for-brains slapped it together). Now it will be equal distance between upper and lower COs and BPs (was approx a 25" difference as it was). Bottom of left lower:
20170212_164426-600x800.jpg
Parts built for the right lower, so I'll tackle that one as time allows this week. Time to go workout.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by DeMinimis on Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeMinimis

Post by DeMinimis »

And a shot of the topside. Look mom, not a crooked piece of garbage. Again, still needs the new center and BP mount parts of the dual mount setup (can only weld one section at a time).
20170212_180220-800x600.jpg
DeMinimis

Post by DeMinimis »

Fitted the remaining bung sleeves on the lower right a-arm tonight. Hope to cut off the garbage lower mounts on the right arm tomorrow evening and clean it up. If time allows, I'll start fitting the 1.5" gusset and the CO mount.
DeMinimis

Post by DeMinimis »

Second arm has been more work. Although tubes lengths were the same, as well as the bend on the trailing tube, the tubes were not welded at the same angle (comparing arm to arm). Figured this out when fitting the new shock mount replacement tube. There was a small gap. So, pulled the cut off wheel out, carefully cut the long 1" tube brace at the trailing tube weld. Took a long clamp and squeezed the ends of the arms tubes closed until they squeezed my new replacement tube. Tacked up the tube. Measuring the chassis bungs spread still shows a 1/8" difference between the two arms. That's pretty close and much closer than they were. I'll make up the difference when I install the arms. In time, they'll settle in nicely. Didn't get a chance to finish up tonight, but I'll finish it tomorrow night. Well, enough to take to the welder.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

It is looking good, how do you feel about your project so far?
DeMinimis

Post by DeMinimis »

Thanks. It's coming along. Shock mounts largely done. Had to tig more than I wanted so I could do up the mounts. To the welder Tuesday to finish up the lowers.

Picked up a horse trailer today. Guy builds planes (twin RR Merlin P Mustang is their latest project (near finished)). Anyway, FAA wants 4130 air frames mig welded, not tigged, unless heat treated. Found that very interesting.

I pulled out the mig for the actual shock mounts as they are made from mild steel. Mostly tigged in place (tacks on the outer seams, complete inside welds as building them as they are three-piece). However, a couple of the inner seams I just migged. Went the ticka-ticka-ticka method (trigger pulse) as it's a pretty cold weld. Those were the best looking welds, but not super strong. Definitely keeps the HAZ to a minimum. No pics.
DeMinimis

Post by DeMinimis »

Lowers done. Might have time this weekend to mock up everything and check clearance for the upper arm tube gussets (then send those off to weld the tube gussets in place).

Tired of resizing, so here it is. https://farm1.staticflickr.com/700/3290 ... 457f_k.jpg
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Nice job on the welding.
DeMinimis

Post by DeMinimis »

Wish I had done that. Maybe someday.