Here We Go: DD Build

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: Here We Go: Desert Dynamics Build ( Desert Dynamics Sucks )

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I thought it was "purdy" too (jealous!) 8)
DeMinimis

Post by DeMinimis »

Thanks. Okay, here you go:

Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

You've checked threads, all is good?
DeMinimis

Post by DeMinimis »

Yup. All Bueno.

Haven't touched the DD in a couple weeks. Snagged a '86 CJ7 w/<80k miles and has what appears to be the orig shocks, u-joints, tie rods, etc., etc., etc. Dragging it to Baja, so it's getting a lot of attention right now. Getting wheels deflowered this AM so I can clean them up, paint, and put new rubber on it. Noticed the metal housing (rod cover) on one shock was partially rotted away. Lots of deferred maintenance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by DeMinimis on Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeMinimis

Post by DeMinimis »

A couple more. Planned on just selling when we got back, but The Boy wants to cut his teeth on his first project. So, gonna be a body-off resto and KTM orange when done.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DeMinimis

Post by DeMinimis »

Blasted two wheels tonight and got some primer on them. Top coat will be a very similar color/luster. Looks better I'd say.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

U dood gud! Congrats. Put the rim on with a paint brush on a jig, rotate the wheel and paint on a nice pin stripe.

I know you said no pin stripes but just for the record Buegler still makes a wheel style of pin stripe tool but very expensive compared to the one I bought many years ago. Not even sure where it is now.
Last edited by Ol'fogasaurus on Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeMinimis

Post by DeMinimis »

Thanks. No pin stripes for me though.
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

Just dingle balls and low profiles? Oh...and a chrome chain rim steering wheel?
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
DeMinimis

Post by DeMinimis »

More like dingle berries
DeMinimis

Post by DeMinimis »

Still haven't touched the DD in a while. That damn Jeep has eaten up all my time and then some. Front end got new wheel and spindle bearings, seals, axle u-joints, custom tie rod and drag link (I made them from sleeved 1.25" 4130), new locking hubs, stabilizer and shocks all around, new sneakers, etc. Despite all that, it didn't make the Baja trip (had to return home after filling everything up because of forgotten items and discovered a pistol-hot rear drum). I took a chance and didn't touch the rear brakes. Of course, that was the one thing that needed attention the most. Jeep stayed home and we certainly could have used it. Once back, I tackled the rear brakes (everything new including the p-brake cables) and cranked out new exhaust over the weekend (oh what a mess the former exhaust was). This damn thing just purrs and now it's pretty quiet too. I'm having a heck of a time deciding if I'm going to keep it or not. I really need to focus on the DD (and my old VW vert project), but I do like the Jeep too. Just don't really need a Jeep (once the buggy is done) for Baja. Would be an awesome toad when running around the US, however. I was planning on holding off on new suspension bushings, but I think I may try and tackle them in the not-so-distant (I have the bushings and all new Grade 8s, so it's only time, right?). I really should just sell it, but... Starting to take shape (pre-exhaust):

I believe you really shouldn't rip on a PO (you didn't have to buy it, right?), but holy hell what a late term abortion the exhaust was. One of the 3/8" manifold studs was removed and a #10 stainless bolt was being used to kinda keep that side of the flange, loosely, in place. Obviously, I took care of that as well (just had to run a top up the hole to clean it up a bit and install a new stud). The down pipe was original (rusty, leaking, big split) and the rest of the exhaust was cobbled together with an assortment of pieces over the years. Welds were just horrible (none on them completely sealed) and the tailpipe section actually rubbed a hole through the old (probably orig ) steel shock rod protector it was laying against. Now it's all new aluminized tubing. If I ever weld like this, please, come slap me and take away my welders.

Anyway, thankfully, the old guy didn't do much with the Jeep, but what he do ended up being generally a mess. The only thing he did that was good was to replace the orig carb with a true Weber 38 (Spain). Everything else just leaves me scratching my head in wonder. At least I'm just about finished unringing that bell.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Like you didn't have enough projects.
DeMinimis

Post by DeMinimis »

Yes, project logic is seriously lacking.
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Hmmm, I keep poking my head in to see what kind of progress is being made on the DD car but......................
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

hmmmm still nothing? whataya been sippn umbrella drinks on the shores of Mexico or something?
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!