Here We Go: DD Build

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Leatherneck

Re: Here We Go: Desert Dynamics Build ( Desert Dynamics Sucks )

Post by Leatherneck »

So has this project taken a dive or are we slacking on updates?
DeMinimis

Post by DeMinimis »

Up for sale. No time and too many irons in the fire. 10-year plan and you know why, so thinning the herd.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

DeMinimis wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:00 pm Up for sale. No time and too many irons in the fire. 10-year plan and you know why, so thinning the herd.
You're serious?
DeMinimis

Post by DeMinimis »

Only as serious as finding a buyer. Heck, truck (Ram 5500) and camper for sale as well.

10-year plan:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

My niece lives on a catamaran in VA. For sure a differ t life style
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Done the boating thing; fun but in my opinion it takes a "special person/couple to do it. You will find that a "tiny home" is about as roomy as a pretty long boat. Narrow and fairly short living quarters even on a fairly larger sail boat.

Never been on a ""Cat" so I am not sure how they are room wise.

Lee
DeMinimis

Post by DeMinimis »

Yea, but the back yard is huge.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DeMinimis

Post by DeMinimis »

Lee, I've been following the market for five years. Although a different make than above, we might be able to afford this one at retirement (given depreciation of similar boats from this builder at 10-12 years, etc). Master suite is bigger than in any home/condo we've owned (plus a a better view). There's a reason those purist monohull types disapprovingly refer to cats as condos on the water. I'll take room, short crew handling and no heeling anyday.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

As I said, I have never been on a cat or tri but I have known people who did/do live on board some kind of boat. Some do it for a long time and some for not so long.

With moorage rates continually going up and the rules for heads continually getting tightened up (one of several reasons I got out of boats) you have to retire to the right place that has proper facilities for handling waste. Kind of the same for the limitations on new house boats here; moorage, sanitation and all the new pollution stuff now coming into play.

It also can get very (moist) cool on the water at night too and I am not talking about rain either. :wink:

Lee
DeMinimis

Post by DeMinimis »

We would be cruising. Plan is approx 5 years in Pacific and five in the Med (storing on the hard during Med Winters and flying home). We shall see. Won't know until we do it. Never know, we could decide the Caribbean is plenty fun and just do that during the annual seasons. I have possible moorage in Fla with a family friend (owns three slips, but only uses one). Of course, this could all change in a decade (we might all be trying to simply survive in a post-apocalyptic desertscape, living off bugs and the flesh of our victims).
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

The plan on Cruising does sound interesting but not for me; I don't like to travel much farther than a couple of blocks assuming I have a choice... which I usually don't.

With all the claims now days of global warming I think I would be looking for moorage some where close to the upper areas of the Rocky Mountains. This is assuming the Yellowstone Super Volcano doesn't become active again and off us all. :lol: . Remember, Yellowstone is still rising the last I heard(https://archive.unews.utah.edu/news_rel ... ne-rising/).
DeMinimis

Post by DeMinimis »

Yea, we're pretty much doomed. We've been around, what, a couple/few hundred thousand years? Dinosaurs were a nearly couple hundred million years? We're bad, short term renters at best. We can kiss our deposit goodbye.
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

I seen the ad for the 5500....it made me think a little for sure.

I had just told a guy earlier in the day that I have the urge to have something a little bigger then my 2500 and then maybe a runaround rig that is much smaller. Nice truck Wade, but I think it falls into the want vs need category for me and I only allow so many wants in the that category.
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
DeMinimis

Post by DeMinimis »

Colette tells me you "need" that truck. Just had someone look at the camper. Me thinks he's gonna jump on it.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

DeMinimis wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:08 pm We can kiss our deposit goodbye.
Is that what you call it? :shock: