Here We Go: DD Build

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
dustymojave

Re: Here We Go: Desert Dynamics Build ( Desert Dynamics Sucks )

Post by dustymojave »

Better to use NAS bolts that are designed for shear loadings. They have longer smooth shanks and short fine threads. Regular hardware store bolts, even grade 8 supers and such are designed for tensile use, NOT for shear loads.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
DeMinimis

Post by DeMinimis »

Thanks. If I bust one of those US made 3/4 Gr8 bolts, I'd wager I have much bigger concerns. 1/2" bolts used are 12pt (DB, ARP).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

:twisted: (giggle !) While Dusty is correct about having a shank on them and not fully treaded, based on the head design they do look pretty stout.

Threads should never be in shear, single or double nor should they be on the load end of something, that is what you washer out for. No more than three washers per end w/o going to spacers as you could be reducing the direct loading by the head or nut if any misalignment by any of the washers happens.
DeMinimis

Post by DeMinimis »

The threads aren't! Why do you keep saying this? See how long those bolts are? That's because I sized them based on shaft length. I just havent loped off the extra length yet.
DeMinimis

Post by DeMinimis »

Sorry. I'm tired and pissed off and tired.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Sorry!

You aren't the only one that reads this and it may be new to someone else. Over the years I have seen see more than a lot of fasteners not done correctly, I even bought a car where most of the critical bolts were bent in the middle because they used the wrong type and grade of bolt; fully threaded! I've even seen all-thread used on suspension and spring bolts. Imagine 17" rear shackles tied through the rear spring eye using all-thread. the back of the spring was parallel to the road and almost in contact with it too.

I'll try not to do it again! :roll:
DeMinimis

Post by DeMinimis »

Copy Lee. Thanks.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Expect a PM later today :oops:

Lee
DeMinimis

Post by DeMinimis »

I did a little buggy therapy yesterday (actually, dialing a-arms really helps keep the mind off other poop). Short of that, my singular focus has been one of my closest friends. Again, sorry I snapped at you. My focus is elsewhere right now. Thanks.
Last edited by DeMinimis on Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

DeMinimis wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:47 pm Sorry. I'm tired and pissed off and tired.
I can understand that issue. I've been working on taxes. So much fun it should be outlawed. SERIOUSLY!!! I'm gaining a huge amount of insight into why people go and shoot up crowded places and do suicide bombings and other SH...errr... shtuff... like that.
Richard
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
Vanillagurilla

Post by Vanillagurilla »

Looks up Ave on you tube, he's been testing different bolts lately. Taiwan grade 8, USA grade 8, titanium bolts and such. You might be surprised at the results lol.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Sorry Mr. D. I've moved it to the newbie area and called it "fasteners" http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 1&t=150479

Lee
bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

Nice bolts.

I would feed them from the front also, that way when the nut rattles off the bolt would maybe just maybe not fall out from the massive forward motion of yer buggy.

Taxes are done but haven't written the check....

Have you guys seen the nat'l news? Oklahoma teachers are on a walkout and demanding more school funding, 35,000 at the capitol yesterday on day 8.

Our state is broke and no one knows where the money was spent.

Nice bolts.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

"Our state is broke and no one knows where the money was spent." Now where in the world have I heard THAT before???? :shock:
8)
Richard
Retired Fabricator
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

DeMinimis wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:47 pm Sorry. I'm tired and pissed off and tired.
You cranky pants...Knock it off. Working on this stuff is supposed to be fun an therapeutic.

Before you get all twisted up....Thanks for working on this thing again...gives me a reason to pop in from time to time.
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!