68 baja build

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
chuckput

Re: 68 baja build

Post by chuckput »

I tried to find a photo of my front end set up, but I couldn't find anything that showed what I wanted. From the front firewall forward to the beam my tubes curve downward a couple of inches. There are a couple of advantages for doing this. First, it gives your front end some added ground clearance. Second, if you're running an adjustable front beam, you do not need to run as much pre-load which can cause a stiffer ride.
Good luck! I hope the seats work out. It was great meeting you. Get that bug done and come on down to Plaster City and I will help you get it dirty.
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

chuckput wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:49 pm I tried to find a photo of my front end set up, but I couldn't find anything that showed what I wanted. From the front firewall forward to the beam my tubes curve downward a couple of inches. There are a couple of advantages for doing this. First, it gives your front end some added ground clearance. Second, if you're running an adjustable front beam, you do not need to run as much pre-load which can cause a stiffer ride.
Good luck! I hope the seats work out. It was great meeting you. Get that bug done and come on down to Plaster City and I will help you get it dirty.
so youre saying your beam is basically mounted a bit lower to add more lift thats smart as it would also allow more tire clearance to the fiberglass and just all around more clearance. My beam doesn't happen to be adjustable and its just about maxed out on how much you can turn one up the grubs almost point straight up.

I think the seats are gonna be perfect i find myself sitting in them while i supervise the tear down of the bug. very comfy thanks again for those. It was nice meeting you. Most people i go with go out to ocotillo or plaster anyways so next time im down there ill see if we can meet up. Most likely next season as im broken and so is my car.

Went to welding class today tried using the broken leg but it ended up getting shakes about 5 seconds into a weld causing my arm to twitch and dip the tungsten. so i just started using my left foot.

was discussing some front end stuff with dusty on tos and he has tubes from the upper beam support tubes down to the tunnel. I was thinking im going to do this as its ties the cage to the pan.
I want to do either a "v" between bottom tubes that connect to the tunnel or an "X" between the two not sure what would be better. also wanna get some diagonals between the upper and lower but that has tie rod clearance issues.

door bars. I will for sure have ones from the harness bar down
structurally i want one going the other way too but that gets in the way. if i just take these down to the bottom tube and not go to a prestablished joint is that a big deal?
Screenshot_20170423-174503-337x600.png
I like this one but structurally I don't like it too much as the force would transfer into it and the bends would buckle I'm probably way overconsidering this but I like to think to the extreme if a major impact was taken.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Travis
I spend way to much time on this site
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

You might try a diagonal door bar with the rear end at the shoulder, and the front end in the corner of the junction of the floor bar and the A-pillar tube.

Then a 1" diagonal from the base of the B-pillar up to the center of the door bar.

A diagonal from the dash down to the same middle of the door bar to make an 'X' would transfer loads from the upper front structure to the floor bar and the B-Pillar. That gets pretty awkward and PITA for entrance and exit for a Baja that might see use as a daily driver. Ladies, in particular are likely to object.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

I like the side protection those have but dang that is a bitch to climb in and out of for a driver car. I like an x much better. I way over thought mine, or maybe I didn't as its pretty easy to get in and out of. Look in Busk's baja. Similar to mine but a little simpler. also look at the Chillinintheoc "Going in deep build. The X door bars that Crumb did on that car go from B-pilar floor but from A-pilar to the chassis at a crossbar about the rear set mount. This puts the X a little farther forward making egress easier. Just food for thought.
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

yeah i was worried about getting in but i was thinking with the whole tubular front end meeting just the a pillar would be in my opinion not super structurally sound.
I was thinking a bit about other ways to do it. I know its common to bend the b pillar to floor bars down around the seats. SO if i were to bed both door bars lowering the x down and depending on where the bend was i could also move it forward. The bend would create a weak spot but if i backed the bend with a support bar going down to the a pillar to floor joint and from the back of the b pillar door bar to the floor it would support it and keep the door bars out of the way.

If my explanation is unclear i can sketch up a picture. Actually doing this would allow some different structural supports im gonna mess with the cage i drew a

but thank you for the 2 build threads ive tried to look for crumco stuff in the past and wanted to see what they do.
Last edited by bikesndbugs on Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Travis
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

yes it makes sence. I think baja5 had a similar door bar with a lower horizontal bar in his old baja

Have you looked at mine close? it is smooth series of x supports when you break it all down.
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

CentralWAbaja wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:53 am yes it makes sence. I think baja5 had a similar door bar with a lower horizontal bar in his old baja

Have you looked at mine close? it is smooth series of x supports when you break it all down.
I havent ill pull that up i was currently going through the crumco build i see they just end anywhere on the lower tube that makes it a lot easier.
any idea on what page id find that as your thread is very long.
Travis
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

The crumco does not end just anywhere, nor do mine they all end at intersections of cross tubes in the chassis floor. Not just in the mid span of a tube.
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

CentralWAbaja wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:11 am The crumco does not end just anywhere, nor do mine they all end at intersections of cross tubes in the chassis floor. Not just in the mid span of a tube.
ahh so they end at lets say where i would have tubes tying into the tunnel and doubling as seat mounts. i see
Travis
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

You got it....Can't say its the best way or the correct way, but there is some thought to it.
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

CentralWAbaja wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:28 am You got it....Can't say its the best way or the correct way, but there is some thought to it.
i mean this isnt going to be a racecar i just want to make sure its built well and done right the first time.
I dont really ever plan on having this super long travel i want like 10 in front and 14 or so rear. near stock width.
Travis
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

so im gonna need harnesses anybody know a cheap place to get those.
I need to do something about my steering as my shaft is bent and that really messed up that rubber damper thing. also my steerng colum has always pulled out of the dash. so my steering needs to be addressed. any cheap ways of fixing this. I also have a bent tie rod so my steering is all messed up. i got it aligned but still.
I might just leave it and save for a rack
im not doing shock mounts yet just because im trying to do this quick

Im not very familiar with seat mounts suggestions would be appreciated.
my dad wants it adjustable because hes a good 6 inches shorter than me and my girlfriend is even shorter than that so adjustable is a must for drivers at least. Dusty mentioned his slide forward allows more rear access than flipping forward so they don't need to flip forward.

now as far as fiberglass mounts. IM going one peice gonna cut similar to dusty to keep inner fender wells my friends were like keep the stock hinges and make it flip that way i told them that was dumb then was thinking about it the other day. if i were to use bolts then a sort of angle iron it might work id worry about the tires interfering though.

feel free to chime in or point out anything im forgetting.
Travis
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

On the harness I guess in you mean seat not electrical. Only suggestion is get the harness wth the pasts built in..
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

Leatherneck wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:28 pm On the harness I guess in you mean seat not electrical. Only suggestion is get the harness wth the pasts built in..
yes seat my electrical works as of now so it stays
what are pasts? the like tabs and such?
Travis
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Travis, did you see the seat mounts I am playing with in my black buggy build. Those tracks can be had with about 6" of adjustment and a solid mount seat or a fixed location with tilt forward seat mounts. NOT REAL CHEAP THOUGH!

If your stock tracks are bad this is an option.

IMG_0557.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.