68 baja build

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
CentralWAbaja

Re: 68 baja build

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Cool old truck. Been thinking I might do the same real soon. Trying to find an "Extra truck" for our family. Something the wife can tow a horse trailer without stealing my DD work truck. There is some clean old iron out there that sure has me thinking.
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

Yeah I really like it has one of those vintage look Bluetooth stereos in it. Interior is beautiful. Gas mileage doesn't seem to be too bad I got the I6 for a reason

The torsion bars I got appear to be 22 mm based on my micrometer. Anybody know the stock thicknees for a 68 bug. They are stamped vw so I may have another set matching mine.

If mine are 22mm I know 67 and 68 are notoriously soft and stock irs has 22mm with longer bars so they are softer. Thus I'm assuming the 22mm ones are harder than mine

Travis
I spend way to much time on this site
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

Anybody have sugestions for motor? Got some dual kadrons and a tri mill exhaust. What bore stroke cam? Should I do I wanna make like 80 or 90 hp

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Travis
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

how much cash you wanna spend?

Great thread with a ton of good info
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 3205&hilit

How do you know you want to make 80-90hp just curious? have you run a baja with 80-90 documented hp? do you want that motor to make that HP at 6500RPM or do you want a motor that makes a ton of low end grunt the kicks but in the trails? Again the above thread is worth the read.
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

About 1500 bucks a few more or less. I have more but that's how much I'd like to spend
80 or 90 just seemed like a good number I could do less Idk about more ill read that when I get a chance

I like the way top end power feels but currently low end would be more useful as my trans is geared a bit high.
I would most likely use single port heads for a low end motor. I have some in the garage

Travis
cbeck

Post by cbeck »

The bars I just replaced were 22 mm long irs, I assumed they were stock.
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

cbeck wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:02 pm The bars I just replaced were 22 mm long irs, I assumed they were stock.
how stiff was your ride? as mine are short so i should be stiffer and thats good
Travis
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

So read some of cwbs post had some discussions and I'm thinking more or a low end motor for dd and pushing the big tires. Also hopefully lasts longer. Single port makes more tq so might be pulling down the sp heads intake and tins from the attick. I would still want to run the kadrons so id most likely be custom making the intake. Not a super big deal to me.

Single port
Dual kadrons
Stroked or bored? (Not sure)
I always thought a mini stroker would make for a cool motor.

I believe my case is good its rather clean never had to many issues.

Valve train. My sp heads have none. I have the setup on my dual port and some extra stuff laying aroind plus another setup on 1835 sp heads I have. I have extra stock cam and crank also.

Case is as41 pictures are of some Id stuff.

What's cheaper and what's better bore or stroke?

Please excuse my lack of engine knowledge I'm new to this stuff I've read up on a few things and have a general.understanding but still have questions.[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201707 ... 35c91b.jpg[/IMG][IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201707 ... 65cbc9.jpg[/IMG][IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201707 ... 35eb0e.jpg[/IMG]

Travis
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

Stock Bug Torsion bars are 22mm. 1961-2003. Swingaxle or IRS. The early mid-length torsions are similar. 67 and 68s seem to be soft because they used the same torsion bars and preload with long axles. The greater leverage of the long axles made them droop a little more than earlier cars.

Rocker shafts and entire assembly are the same in single port and dual port heads. Single port heads will give you a little better low end grunt than dual ports, but not really with dual carbs.

Longer stroke will make more grunt difference than single ports. Bigger bore makes the engine more rev happy. Kinda like your 5 liter inline 6 in your ridge side F100. Long stroke, relatively small pistons. Big carbs make more top end HP. Little carb makes better low rpm torque. Aggressive cam makes more top end hp. Mild cam makes more low end. In general, more air/fuel flow makes more top end power. So any mods you do in that direction will result in power improvements in the related direction. A bigger carb or cam will allow more volume of flow. Smaller intake /milder cam yields less volume but higher velocity flow for better low end.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

I have that general understanding.

What I had always thought would be a cool idea would be a single port 1600 stroked not sure to what cc but I think that's the way ill go.
The dual carbs should get enough high end to help it out there. But the stroke and single port will keep the low end powerful.

Stock valve train.

And the 5 liter six in the truck is amazing I love that truck

Travis
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

got some of the cage painted today. the front end. still have to pull the tank to get to some tubes but i was being lazy and had things to do. the floors and roof holes still need to be welded. i did order the rest of the disposables i needed for my tig setup so all i need to do now is get the argon refilled.
so progress has slowed.
i swapped the exhaust to the tri mill and snapped a stud flush with the head. so its not going anywhere for a while.
every time i set the camber on the drivers side it never comes out right so next time im just gonna take a guess and hope to get it more straight.

Ive got a few to many projects currently. a go cart that needs a frame rebuild, an it175, the baja, the truck has some minor issues (temp gauge not reading and speedo not reading think its the gear in the trans) and then the xt125 street legal bike.

the it needs about 600 to get done. so thats only money now it runs and everything. i might be able to get away with 400.
the bug needs shock revalue and motor rebuild.
the go cart needs the front end figured out and then some cage work.
the xt doesnt even run.

i might get the it175 done so i can clear a spot in the garage to do some of the bug motor work.
the truck stuff is all little so that will come slowly. id like the temp to work it reads half when i start it then goes to full heat but doesnt feel overly hot and has a massive radiator. so its for sure not overheating. and oil pressure stays correct so its weird.

go cart and xt are set to the side for now.
Travis
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

Went to the carshow today.
It was vw night.
Didn't get to take the bug because I don't wanna drive it in the current condition its in.

There were a few bajas one 5/1600 I really like those. Looked at the cage looked very similar to mine with a bit more reinforcement. I really wanna do the plus 1 or 2 longer arms when I go to irs. Then I could run 33s and be alright top speed with a 3 rib. As it has the higher ring and pinion.

There was also a crumco car that appeared to never get used as it has no bump or droop stops. Seems like a waste of a car to me.

Travis
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

bikesndbugs wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:01 pm
There was also a crumco car that appeared to never get used as it has no bump or droop stops. Seems like a waste of a car to me.

If there are no rock dings and no road rash on the car then yes it probably never gets used. However if they are running bypasses and King race series shocks then you bump out on the bypass and limit on the shocks. If set up properly they are designed to limit out on them without damage. Better have the geometry right though to keep from blowing the CVs up.
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

If customers put the car together the way Rick sets them up, using the shocks specified, instead of changing their minds and buying different length and or different brand shocks than specified by Rick due to listening to somebody who has no clue, then the shock mounts are VERY well setup and carefully cycled before final weld. Blaming Crumco for shocks not being right would be like blaming Chevy for your 1500 on 14" lift kit with 42" tires tipping over when street racing a Porsche.

But yeah, of the hundreds of cars that my son helped Rick build when he worked there, only a very small handful have ever been raced. What the hell all those people have done with all those potentially very cool Bajas is a real mystery.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

Crumco makes my favorite bajas by far. They are just so cool.

Hanging out at a offroad show tonight saw some interesting tires sizes. A 32x10.5 looked very skinny. Marketed as a utv race tire but may be a possible option to replace the 33x9.5s

Travis