68 baja build

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
bikesndbugs

Re: 68 baja build

Post by bikesndbugs »

All of those are good ideas I'm sure I'll do something someday just not sure when

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Travis
I spend way to much time on this site
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

Take your time. You're still young. Do it when and how you can.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

A mutant tube frame WRX would rock.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

One of you guys should really buy my car 3500 and it's yours 4500 and you can have a trailer and a pile of parts too.

Travis
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

Haven't had a whole lot of much selling it dropped the price from 4k to 3500 still nothing. I might bring it down to 3.

I'm really only in it 3500 or so.
Wont be losing that much money on it. I see bajas without cages in the same price point though.
I thought I was offering a pretty good deal 4k out the door with a car that's desert ready add an interior and it's a good street car with spares for everything and a trailer

Travis
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

Good deal. Everybody seems to want to build their own from scratch. When my son was working at Crumco, he built well over a hundred, maybe a couple hundred cars. I NEVER saw one of the customers bring a bare Baja Bug shell. But I SAW a few really nice street/dirt Bajas. And a bunch of nice stock Bugs. Gotta build their own!
Richard
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

Very true
I've had an extreme lack of interest in this thing. I did fix the crankcase pressure relief rhe other day and ran it back iin the carb so it stops blowing oil on my firewall.

I might start putting an interior in it. See If I can get it to quiet up. Maybe throw my dual port heads on it.
Because the answer to it not selling is always put more money into it.

I still want something that handles well so I might try to get some adjusters in the front and rear to get my cog low for street use.

Daily driving a Baja bug isn't insane and I used to enjoy it but now my car is way too loud. Could be the exhaust or possibly the holes in the floor

Travis
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

bikesndbugs wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:29 pm
... Daily driving a Baja bug isn't insane and I used to enjoy it but now my car is way too loud. Could be the exhaust or possibly the holes in the floor

Ain't it the truth, ain't it the truth. Plug the holes to keep the exhaust and noise out, add some sound Dynamat or equivalent to the inside for sound deadening then floor mats to protect it then look into quieter mufflers.

You are getting older now and you are changing so you will now have to deal with that. Getting older eliminates some kinds of fun doesn't it!

Lee
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

Yeah still trying to sell it but I might do some interior. My best friend moved to vegas and I want something to reliably drive there.
I don't trust the bug
The truck gets really uncomfortable at about hour 3 and gets horrible mpg

Travis
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

and it sold 3000 for everything i had but coil overs. those might go on the truck. now im on to a miata maybe someday ill get bored and go back to buggies. i still get notifications from here so i might pop in sometimes
Travis
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Travis, good luck in anything you try. You build and your changes were fun to follow and help.

Lee
bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

I have a 95 miata, 126,000 miles, hard top, Hard Dog Sport Bar, v-maxx coilovers from Flyin' Miata, cold a/c, etc. $2500 special STF deal.... you just have to come to Oklahoma to get it.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

It's a 91 full stainless exhaust with header.
Cold air intake bigger valves stripped for autocross I'm working on getting windows and the top is back on it. gonna have to make some headlight bracketry. Good wheels adjustable shocks suspension bracing. Swapbars. Quite alot done to it. 119k miles. No ac but heat works and it's got a softtop so ac isnt really needed.

Work is nice still working on prerunners and such not getting paid great but I can afford that and it's good experience.

I miss the forum not to many helpful people on the 4x4 ones for my truck. Slowly collecting parts for that. Just got some foxes in the rear gotta rebuild some in the front. The front axle I have was only made for 3 or 4 years on my specific truck so it's a bit rare. Truck is gonna get a prp bench, roll bar new front radius arms to help flex, make it a mix between jeep and prerunner. So itll everything alright. Main concern is reliability.
ImageImageImage

Stuff I've been doing at work my welds have really cleaned up. Getting better at fab with good tune fitment and have done a bit of sheet metal work.

ImageImageImage
Travis
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

Looking pretty. But those last TIG welds need more filler rod. They're undercut.
Richard
Retired Fabricator
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

well I stumbled my way into another vw.
Uncle passed away
bug was given to me
1965 3 inch body lift torsions maxed
heard its got a big motor also heard its got a 1600
single webber 44
brakes are shot
fuel system is sludge
a pillars by the heater channel are rotted
I remember this thing being a beautiful metal flake when I was about 10
then it sat for years

see google album for some pictures
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipP ... p3OTdxUlR3

got it running on just fuel down the carb and it sounded healthy
pulled the carb off took it home and rebuilt it haven't been back since.
trying to bring it home soon to rebuild the drums

https://forum.badlinesgoodtimes.com/thr ... -f100.247/
this was the off-road project after the bug 4x4 71 f100 with 78 3/4 ton axles and t case
14 inches of wheel travel all around coil over radius arm front leaf sprung on a ratio arm for the rear
roller block 302 holley sniper
exocage/chase rack thing