68 baja build

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
bikesndbugs

Re: 68 baja build

Post by bikesndbugs »

Ol'fogasaurus wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:24 pm Travis, did you see the seat mounts I am playing with in my black buggy build. Those tracks can be had with about 6" of adjustment and a solid mount seat or a fixed location with tilt forward seat mounts. NOT REAL CHEAP THOUGH!

If your stock tracks are bad this is an option.

IMG_0557.JPG
stock tracks are getting cut out ive got access to some sliders but they dont fit the seats the spacing is wrong. seats will be cage mounted
Travis
I spend way to much time on this site
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Make new mounts for the sliders to mount to. The sliders are separate from the mounts.Or are you saying the front to rear spacing is off?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

CentralWAbaja wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 7:47 am Make new mounts for the sliders to mount to. The sliders are separate from the mounts.Or are you saying the front to rear spacing is off?
the sliders that were offered to me are very similar to those ill look at them some more see if i can come up with a plan for them to work theres a set of all 4 so it will do both seats. I dont have angle iron or anything so ill have to pick some of that up for the frames
Travis
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Friggen autocorrect, I meant to say Pads, not Pasts.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Those sliders look to be the same as I am using. I am running a piece of flat stock between the two sides and putting the seats mounting holes in them. One of several ways of doing it.

Lee
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

Leatherneck wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 9:00 pm Friggen autocorrect, I meant to say Pads, not Pasts.
ok i was really confused yeah pads are a good idea
Ol'fogasaurus wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 9:13 pm Those sliders look to be the same as I am using. I am running a piece of flat stock between the two sides and putting the seats mounting holes in them. One of several ways of doing it.

Lee
ill probably be very similar to the way cwb is with angle iron and bar stock.
Travis
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

getting more convinced on keeping swing axle for longer. due to that wonderful thread that cwb started. really seeing there is nothing wrong with it but i am feeling the need for new wheels or at least front. MIne rub the trailing arms due to too little offset. and a little wider stance might be nice. i have the exact same wheels my uncle has on his class 11 style and he tucks 235s all around on a stock bodied bug (lift and body lift). Ill throw them up on craigslist for trade see if anything comes up. ive got 2 of wide 5 steelies like 15x7 those are what were on it when i first bajaed it. those wouldn't work for the front either. the rear theyd be fine but a more offset wheel would get it wider and more stable. I can get some 4 lug 14s for the rear idk the offset but i like the 15s. the 14s might be good for some cheap utv paddles if i ever go to dunes.
Travis
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

As long as you realize a swing's limitations and don't exceed them plus have camber compensator (and a kaffer/truss setup) you should be OK to have a lot of fun. Get to play in your Bake between changes otherwise you could easily loose interest in it.
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

Ol'fogasaurus wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 9:00 am As long as you realize a swing's limitations and don't exceed them plus have camber compensator (and a kaffer/truss setup) you should be OK to have a lot of fun. Get to play in your Bake between changes otherwise you could easily loose interest in it.
legs broken so i cant drive it trying to get alot done while im out the local vw parts store has some used steelies that have good offset ill check how much they want maybe try to negotiate a trade im willing to add some weight for the wider stance . My car is about to be a lot slower. cage and heavier wheels :shock: i want it to be solid for next season so i dont have to worry to much i can actually use it.

the camber compensator and truss setup are street car things i dont see why you would want them offroad the compensator is just more to drag on the ground and the truss might help but hopefully the cage does.
Travis
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

They both are very important offload!

The Kaffer/Truss bar keeps the "pickle forks" from bouncing up and down and side to side when getting aggressive when offload. Remember, the engine is hanging off the the transaxle which is partially supported by two tubes and is otherwise unsupported (cantilevered).

The camber compensator helps limit the "tuck under" at a full "hang" position; a problem that is a big drawback when getting aggressive when offloading.

Back in the 1960s I did have a small displacement "dual purpose" motorcycle (I also had had some Harleys but they were not at the same time) which I did take off-road some. Not a whole lot and not too far as I had no one to ride with me (on their bike) in case there was a problem. In the late '60s I had a '42 MB jeep that I took off-road but, again, no one to ride with other than as passengers so I have been beat around off-road some. Granted I do ride in the san mostly but in many ways that is like riding in the back roads but can be harder on things. I also don't push things as much as I could but set things up for occasional "Aw $#it" situation that can come up.

We see old rails (not too many buggies though) with swing axle setups out having fun... usually these are people who have experience in the sand or with someone with them who does and can/will give advice as how far to push things. We also have seen newbies being towed, drug or trailered in to camp because they tried to push their (new to them) swing axle rigs farther than they should have... they didn't know better and/or didn't have them setup correctly.

I had to go through a lot of similar things when I got my buggy. I got stuck a lot because I didn't know what to look (read the sand) for and what to avoid. I almost endowed my buggy once due to a P-poor setup that came with my buggy, which I did get rid of (how I leaned how to set the preload up). Only once have I been towed back in (a couple of blocks from camp) when my R-Rear paddle clipped a tree on the access trail (the tree had been hit so many times it was finally removed) and bent the trailing arm.

Safety first!
Last edited by Ol'fogasaurus on Tue May 02, 2017 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

Ol'fogasaurus wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 9:57 am They both are very important offload!

The Kaffer/Truss bar keeps the "pickle forks" from bouncing up and down and side to side when getting aggressive when offroad. Remember, the engine is hanging off the the transaxle which is partially supported by two tubes and is otherwise unsupported (cantilevered).

The camber compensator helps limit the "tuck under" problem that is a big drawback when getting aggressive when offloading.
camber compensator i was gonna do what it says in the bugs and buggies book with the spring plate retainer with a little tab to stop down travel also suggested by dusty. i hope to tie the cage into the pickle forks sometime. I gotta get trans straps too.

does anybody know anything about this car is it swing axle? it has camber but the wheelbase looks too long in the rear.
I really really like this car very similar to the look im going for
Travis
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Stops or camber compensator one needs to be added for your safety.
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

Ol'fogasaurus wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 10:59 am Stops or camber compensator one needs to be added for your safety.
yeah gonna do stops brining the lower spring stop about 1/4 inch up

i do happen to still have the z bars on my car as i was too lazy to take it off and they never touch the suspension anyways

my friend had a wheel idea. he said why not just flip them around. i dont see why it wouldnt work as both sides are flat. itll look a bit ugly. but get the stance i want. might scratch up the wheels and the vaulve stems would be inside so bit harder to access but its a baja bug so still not hard
Travis
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

so im starting to think forward to next season to get the car ready and dialed in. what are some suggestions for me to do i gotta figure out why i never have had good brake pedal feel. i think i might swap the cylinders front to back because i lock the fronts up a lot. I need a five or 4 point harness for the new seats. My steering needs some work as my column is bent and so is my tie rod. Im thinking that needs to be redone and if im doing that i might as well upgrade it but im pretty sure that gets expensive what are my options?

anything else i need to do to really get this thing ready for the desert maybe some lights just for night.

1 |cage/bumper/skid plate/seats
2 |front shock mounts
3 |brakes
4 |steering
5 |more offset wheels
6 |lights

and as usual this stuff has to be done cheap as i cant do side work right now so im very limited on funds
i am picking up a scratch start tig today for $120 its harbor freight but itll do. gonna be easier on the power being an inverter rather than transformer.
Travis
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Shim up that Z bar its better than a camber compensator.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.