68 baja build

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
bikesndbugs

Re: 68 baja build

Post by bikesndbugs »

I think it's gonna end up 1776 with a webber carb and a mild cam.
Picked up a tig welder the other day lincon square wave 200.

Have a plan for seat mounts. Still not sure on what I'm gonna do for the steering column.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Travis
I spend way to much time on this site
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

motor got sent to the mechanics.
getting cleaned up and getting all the parts
then back to my house to rebuild it.

going 1600 single port as i had some either fresh rebuild or never used single port heads.
with a counter weighted crank, a rather large cam, solid rocker shafts and a valve spring upgrade of some sort.

also going a little higher compression.

solved the seat mounts in my head so that just needs to get done now.

the steering column needs attention. not sure what to do yet or how to mount it. i may just u bolt it through the dash for the time being so it wont pull off the dash
Travis
perrib

Post by perrib »

you'd be miles ahead with the CB cheater cam.
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

I'm doing some web cam. Not sure witch one

Travis
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

So got some progress today. Some valve train parts got mailed in.
I ordered single high rev but they sent duals so not sure what I'm gonna do about that.

Pulled out the welder.
My beam had a small crack between the tubes where we accidentally ground it thin when cleaning for bump stops.
Welded that up
Fixed my camber up front
And welded on spindle gussets.

Next trip out should be new years so that's the goal.

I'm considering going back to a stock steering wheel. Is that strong enough for offroad use?

Travis
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

Use the outer spring, the stock wheel is the original off road wheel and damn safer than dubious aftermarket in shrink wrapped cardboard packaging.
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

Thanks sideshow.
Is the outer spring stronger than stock?

Travis
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

Bathroom scale and drill press, measure height at weight.
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

So I did an alignment and welded on my spindle gussets.
I found my camber issue. My drivers spindle is bent pretty bad. It became odvios when I welded the gusset on and the passenger was parallel to the rim and drivers wasn't. So now I'm looking for a spindle. Possibly those wright combos. Maybe not though.

Car drives good now all I need to do I take some lift out of the rear and charge my shocks up front. Is nitrogen a must?

Figured out the odd sound in my motor. My cam gear is loose. So occasionally the exhaust sucks in.
And that's the clicking noise I hear.
My mechanic says that can be fixed in car by removing the oil pump drilling out the rivets and tapping the holes for bolts.

Travis
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

Drilling and tapping the cam gear rivets inside the engine is not something I would recommend. Metal shavings and engine moving parts do not get along well. But you CAN pull out the oil pump to check if the cam gear is loose. If it IS loose, I strongly recommend splitting the case and replacing the cam. It will only have rivets if its a stone stock cam. If it's a high performance cam, then it will have bolts. If it has bolts and they're loose, they can be tightened, but SHOULD get loc-tite (ONLY AFTER THOROUGH CLEANING of bolt and cam threads) as well as lock washers.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

Its a stoxk 1600 single port

Travis
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

Also think I'm making the swap to combo spindles unless I can find a drivers spindle today.

Wright baby combos.
Looks like I need to swap tie rod ends. And berrings possibly backing plates

Travis
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

Since it's been over 40 years since VW Bugs were imported into the US, "stock 1600" is a relative term. It's CERTAIN to have been open and apart a few times over the decades. Not many get rebuilt totally "stock". I certainly can't remember the last time I saw a "stock" Bug on the street. And I doubt you got it out of a totally restored Bug. So I still recommend that you pull out the oil pump and check as I said before before you pull the whole engine apart or scrap it. Whether it's stock or not, I don't recommend that you drill and tap the end of the cam with it inside the engine.

OTOH, I don't remember ever encountering loose cam rivets before either. So, again, pull the oil pump out and see if the gear is loose on the cam.

I had an issue before with the cam rivets in an engine with 375,000 miles on it after I built it. On cold start-up, the engine made nasty clunking sounds that would go away quickly as it warmed up. When I pulled the engine apart, I found that the idle shaft of the oil pump (the one that doesn't spin with the gear) was pushing out of the pump body. Oil pressure between the end of the shaft and the pump cover plate pushed the shaft out of the pump body. The other end of the shaft was pushed into the cam gear face and machined a groove into the gear face, and machined the heads off the rivets. This process made the rivet holes in the gear into slots. Very neatly done. It all looked as though it was intentionally machined to be like that.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

The motor I just pulled apart has a loose cam gear. Once I build this one ill start to inspect the one that's currently in the car.

The pictures are of the wright spindles I can get. Not exactly sure on what they are ill see if I can get a micrometer on them sometime.

I might pick up a stock one for now.
Found a couple on offer up.

ImageImageImage

Travis
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

Was given a webber 44 with intake today and a complete 1600 single port and a set of kingpin spindles so good news

Travis