68 baja build

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
TimS

Re: 68 baja build

Post by TimS »

Yes. You can swap them around. I think one is 17mm and one is 19mm. I ended up using 22mm off of a super beetle in my rear when I went to type 3's and 19mm up front but I have e the larger bus master to compensate. I'm sure there is a chart or a post somewhere about what sizes were made through the years.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

anybody know what kind of lugs i need for the centerlines? 5lug
got the rear seat pulled put today and most of the interior removed
Travis
I spend way to much time on this site
chuckput

Post by chuckput »

bikesndbugs wrote:anybody know what kind of lugs i need for the centerlines? 5lug
For Centerlines you will need ball seat and not a tapered cone seat lug nuts. Tapered cone lug nuts have a 60° taper on them where the lug nut makes contact with the wheel, and the ball seat lug nut is rounded as the name implies.
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

chuckput wrote:
bikesndbugs wrote:anybody know what kind of lugs i need for the centerlines? 5lug
For Centerlines you will need ball seat and not a tapered cone seat lug nuts. Tapered cone lug nuts have a 60° taper on them where the lug nut makes contact with the wheel, and the ball seat lug nut is rounded as the name implies.
thank you also found some spacers that go from taper to ball seat one is actually stuck to my wheel right now.
Travis
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

so i pulled out some cut down drums today to see how they fit on the wheels. WHY IS THERE SUCH A gap arounf the lug? seems dangerous
plans for the light layout

the back is pretty rusted out (rust neutralizer and bondo?) bought rust nuetralizer and bondo

also grabbed my spindles from the yard the rusty one has a inner bearing practically stuck to it
ive been looking for a complete beam drum to drum.just so i dont have to deal with all the hassle of cleaning mine up and rebuilding it. also got a cigarette lighter and usb ports

some ideas for what to paint it
Travis
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

Looks like a score on the wheels and tires. The wheels do not look to be actual Centerlines, or even bolt-together 2-piece like CMS. But they appear to be cast imitation Centerlines, and those are fine. Not quite as light. Plenty sturdy. My friend had a set on his Baja and used stock lug nuts. Those look like they've been used with stock lug nuts too.

I approve of the flat black on the steering wheel center. Chrome wheels are good for blinding the driver at the worst times.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

Number 3,5,6, 7, 8, and 9 all look very 70's-80s. That's not a bad thing, I suppose those your age who knew that would call it "retro". My preferences are a close dice between #1 and 4, followed a little ways back by #9. None of your sketches are ugly.

For the rust fix, one of the 1st things to fix would be the window seals that let the water inside in the 1st place.

The lug stud holes in the wheels are large so the wheel centers on the ball shape of the lug nut. Some other cars like my son's 4th Gen Jetta, use "hub-centric wheels, that center on the hub itself.
Richard
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

ya i was going for a bit of an 80s look for those I like it. My uncle did the rear window seals before i bought it so thats done i hit it with some rust neutralizer now im gonna bondo up the holes. Got a shift rod bushing and aluminum quick shift kit yesterday. Ordered the rear lights last night. IM really pushing to find a linkpin panhead for not a completely insane price.
Travis
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

having major issues with finding a linkpin panhead that doesn't cost an arm and a leg even used i cant find any. on the positive my shifter doesn't feel like trash anymore with a new shift bushing and the quick shift kit.
Travis
bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

#5 and #8

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

my favorites are #7 and #2
Travis
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

Might be trading for a one piece bug eye fiberglass are there any cons for a bug eye
Travis
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLcGpKqDoz6/
replaced the ground strap and got it running. Its got an occasional backfire out the exhaust does it at idle and at revs any idea what it might be?
Travis
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

any ideas on the backfire i messed with the timing a bit that didn't help.
Travis
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

Could be a vacuum leak.

The 1-piece Bug eye is fine if it's going to be pure offroad. For dual purpose, it gets more air under it, along with more water, mud, etc. So it requires more effort sealing up the electricals and dash.
Richard
Retired Fabricator