68 baja build

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: 68 baja build

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I tried several different ways and for some reason neither my laptop nor tablet will deal with tapatalk... and I am not going to add another problem to either them either :roll: :lol: ... sorry!

The breaking of the mount in the center does not surprise me at as that is where I have seen it fail before and been told the same thing before;it is probably the high stress location in the support connection.

I am sure you know more about welding than I do (not too many people know less than I do :oops: ) so I am sure what you do will be OK but just be careful as I am pretty sure that that is a brittle mount and under more stress that one thinks.

Even if you get it welded nicely I would also suggest that on both sides of the pan/torsion tube you add some additional connections between the torsion tube and pan (1 if not two per side) to give additional support to a weak design in the first place.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

bikesndbugs wrote:....
To see it copy the url and paste it into a new tab
In Firefox (and probably chrome) you can simply highlight the url in between the "img" tags, right click and open the selected URL in another window or tab.

Seems silly tapatalk can add a space between urls, that run together stuff doesn't work in any browser.
Thats a bug.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I tried that and... nuttin'. I tried that and several other ways too but for some reason I can't get around the odd url. Once I get it figured out I am sure it is easy but getting there is the hard part.
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

when you try to add the space from the web editor it wont let me edit and post its weird.
Travis
I spend way to much time on this site
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

If you have the picture edited to size then look down to where it says: "Options" "Attachments", pick "Attachments" then in a box it allows you to "add files". Click on "add files" and follow the directions. I have been able to use that a couple of times since photo bucket is acting up.

Lee
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

Ol'fogasaurus wrote:If you have the picture edited to size then look down to where it says: "Options" "Attachments", pick "Attachments" then in a box it allows you to "add files". Click on "add files" and follow the directions. I have been able to use that a couple of times since photo bucket is acting up.

Lee
the problem is they are on my phone so i have to edit size them then email to myself. a lot of work for little reward when i can post directly from tapatalk.

i use tos for hosting if i do embed it.
Travis
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

bikesndbugs wrote: ............ a lot of work for little reward when i can post directly from tapatalk.
I have over 2000 pics that I have posted that way. Yeah it is a lot of work, but I see it as giving back to the folks that take the time to look at the pics and give me there experience in the form of input on my topic. The Tapatalk thing is frustrating to me too. I wish it worked flawless but it doesn't. The guys that run this forum know that it's a cumbersome process to post pics and are looking at ways to make it better. But until it's as easy to post a pic from my phone like it is on Facebook I will just continue to do what it takes to give back to this site that has helped me so much. Pictures help keep people's interest. Without them or making it a challenge to click and open in other pages just makes it real easy to lose interest.

Just my .02
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

CentralWAbaja wrote:
bikesndbugs wrote: ............ a lot of work for little reward when i can post directly from tapatalk.
I have over 2000 pics that I have posted that way. Yeah it is a lot of work, but I see it as giving back to the folks that take the time to look at the pics and give me there experience in the form of input on my topic. The Tapatalk thing is frustrating to me too. I wish it worked flawless but it doesn't. The guys that run this forum know that it's a cumbersome process to post pics and are looking at ways to make it better. But until it's as easy to post a pic from my phone like it is on Facebook I will just continue to do what it takes to give back to this site that has helped me so much. Pictures help keep people's interest. Without them or making it a challenge to click and open in other pages just makes it real easy to lose interest.

Just my .02
yeah makes sense. ill try to get the more important ones embedded the correct way.

anybody know what the torsion support i broke is made out of? as for what filler to get
Travis
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

anybody know what the torsion support i broke is made out of? as for what filler to get
I've gone around this subject a few times on the various VW forums over the years.

The part is electro-welded to the ends of the torsion housing tubes. If it were cast iron it would not weld well enough for production and they would break often. If it were cast steel, it WOULD weld fine with no problem of failure at the weld.

Many VW folks refer to that piece at the ends of the torsion housing as a casting. It is NOT. If it were a casting, the mold parting line would be about 1mm wide and would rarely have areas where material is cut off. But in fact, and I just went out to my back yard and looked at a 1955 pan and a 1971 pan, the mold seam is 6mm to 10mm wide most of the way around the parts. Excess material was cut off with cut lines crosswise to the edge. So it is DEFINITELY FORGED steel.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

so all good to weld with normal steel filler deep penetration?

And now to fabrication stuff what size tubing do i buy?
what size are the prebuilt cages.
Travis
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

Buy 1.5" x .095 wall tube for your cage. It's what the Class 11 and EMPI bolt together cages are made of. It fits SCORE rules for up to 2,000lbs. MOST 5/1600 race cages are the same.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

dustymojave wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:46 pm Buy 1.5" x .095 wall tube for your cage. It's what the Class 11 and EMPI bolt together cages are made of. It fits SCORE rules for up to 2,000lbs. MOST 5/1600 race cages are the same.
ok sweet thanks my friend said .120 wall but thats a bit thick for a bug.
Travis
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

so cant find any roll cages on craigslist or tos and my friends dad offered to help build one so i think im gonna do that and do it with 1 1/2 inch .095 wall tube. they have tube benders and a nice industrial mig. Might make a mini scale cage out of some brake line. Still not sure on what im doing for seats. Anyone have a picture of some solid back seats that flip forward and how far they actually flip forward. Im also going to have a piece of plywood over the battery and where the rear seat was to clean up the look a little bit.

As far as building the cage it will have to be done in parts on weekends or late weeknights. until it is complete.
Travis
cbeck

Post by cbeck »

I cant stand it when my progress is in someone elses hands.
bikesndbugs

Re: RE: Re: 68 baja build

Post by bikesndbugs »

cbeck wrote:I cant stand it when my progress is in someone elses hands.
Me too but sometimes its necessary for me. Anyways got the 220 going welder works good did some pracetice beads on 5/8 plate steel. Had my buddy come over and give me some pointers.
Travis