goggles

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
mlrailguy

goggles

Post by mlrailguy »

I play mostly in Moses Lake WA dunes. My problem is dust always getting inside my goggles. I have some nice Oakley goggles, but wondering if there is something better? Oh, I should mention I wear glasses.
chuckput

Re: goggles

Post by chuckput »

I am assuming that your Oakleys are designed to be worn over your glasses which could cause gaps around the glasses temples. The only solution I can think of would be to go to a full on prescription goggle.
Here is what I Googled: http://www.adseyewear.com/prescription-hilco-bling/
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I used to use just plain old ski goggles and had different lenses for different conditions. I had little to no problems with them and wore them for years. The foam seal does go bad after a while so they have to be replaced after so many runs due to sweat. I did wear sun glasses under them too but I had the thin ear pieces as chuckput talked about. I wear hard contact lenses so anything additional in the eye is more than just an irritation its like boulders instead of just sand.

The last time I rode in Moses Lake was not too long after St. Helens blew her top and the dust was really bad then. I understand it still is but not nearly as bad as it was then (it sure made things grow over there after the eruptions was over). I heard of a couple more places down by the Tri-cities area. Small but since I haven't been there I don't know the conditions. There is also an area at Vantage to ride but I assume you know of that area.

To be perfectly honest I recommend a full face helmet. For so many reasons it is a wise thing to do mainly because your head gets thrown around so much just bouncing around on the dunes. If needed, you can get a balaclava for between head and helmet and control sweat there.

Lee
mlrailguy

Post by mlrailguy »

yea, I think the dust is coming in from around the temples. The mesh on top was getting bad, so I just siliconed that part up. Hopefully that will slow it down a bit. The dunes aren't so bad, but some of the trails between the veins are still just ash and dirt. On a calm day, it just hangs in the air, making it impossible to follow lead rail. Windy days are great
no1clyde

Post by no1clyde »

I ride dirt bikes and I use Scott OTG (over the glasses) I think model 86 but not %100 sure on that, and put baby oil on the foam around the outside like oiling a air filter.

Ed
mlrailguy

Post by mlrailguy »

There is no way these will keep dust out
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

mlrailguy wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 7:42 am There is no way these will keep dust out
MRG, you are very correct on this... no question 'tall. I have ridden at Moses Lake numerous times and the dust there (a lot of it is left over from the Mt. St Helens eruption. I rode there back when (you could still see the fall out sitting deep on the ground) is was still pretty bad. We lost some of the previous riding area when, after the eruption, the farmers took back some of the non-producing area that the fallout from the eruption greatly improved the growing ability of their areas where we used to be able to ride in.

If you really want to keep the dust off then get a full face helmet with an opening face shield, that is the way to go; I also add a balaclava as additional dust proofing. The face shields can be replaced from clear to the UV rating that best fits you. The opening face shield allows you to put sun glasses on after the helmet is on which I still do at times. The goggles do not address the problem with the ear pieces on glasses and the ski goggles no matter what you do of buy.

Since I wear hard (contact) lenses the problem with glasses, the goggles fogging up is still there. The opening face shield helps in that way; you can slightly open the face shield until the temps inside the helmet and outside the helmet (not brushing can cause the face shield to permanently fog over [etching the inside]) even out then close the face shield tight.
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

You COULD use a pumper helmet with the skirt to keep dust out.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=pu ... &FORM=IGRE

Had to look that one up as I had never heard the term before. I knew them by "Fresh Air Helmet" but about the same thing as I use minus the gas attack. Don't hook the turbo to it! :twisted:
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

They are properly known as "Parker Pumper" helmets. That was the original brand as created by Jerry Parker (about 1977 IIRC), who sold Uni Filter Corp to start up Parker Pumper Helmet Co. Jerry invented them for desert offroad racers but they have in more recent years become standard equipment for NASCAR Cup racers.

I have my original 1978 Parker Pumper sitting on a display case beside me as I write this. It served me very well until the helmet needed to be retired due to age.

My original pumper helmet is a Simpson Helmet modified with an added attachment for the air hose and internal air flow management modifications to the lining. Most helmet companies make helmets for the purpose now and nobody is modifying helmets for pumper service.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting