EMPI reverse lockout broke

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
takotruckin

EMPI reverse lockout broke

Post by takotruckin »

I have an EMPI Hurst Style trigger lockout shifter that broke the wire for the reverse lockout. I remember something about replacing it with piano wire maybe? My google-fu is failing me and all I have been able to find was one person that said a G string :shock: from a guitar may work. Anyone know for sure? Stainless safety wire doesn't appear stiff or strong enough.
Marc

Re: EMPI reverse lockout broke

Post by Marc »

Anything here relevant? viewtopic.php?f=18&t=32160

I'd never heard of the guitar-string fix, but you made me curious. Is this the thread you remember? http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/archiv ... 595--.html
takotruckin

Post by takotruckin »

Marc wrote:Anything here relevant? viewtopic.php?f=18&t=32160

I'd never heard of the guitar-string fix, but you made me curious. Is this the thread you remember? http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/archiv ... 595--.html
Nothing relevant in the first link. The second one is indeed the one mention I found of guitar string.

Only other thing I have found is a whole lot of people complaining about these shifters...
I drilled out the rivets and replaced them with nuts and bolts before I even installed it, and it has been a good shifter for many years until the reverse lockout broke.
BAJA-IT

Post by BAJA-IT »

I used piano wire to fix the one I have in the race car. It was a pain to do though, but only took an hour or so to do.
BRAT Motorsports #936
Bolt Center: Salt Lake City, Ut
ACE: Air Cooled Engineering, now Black Line Racing
takotruckin

Post by takotruckin »

I tried the local music store, they didn't have anything that would work and gave me the number of a piano guy who was hard to get a hold of. I finally ordered a roll of .039" piano wire from Amazon, and fixed my shifter the other night. Works good as new now. I now have about 59 feet of wire, so if anyone needs any, shoot me an address and I will send a couple feet.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

What note, piano wire, that is important for the final HP numbers
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

That puts a new twist on "tuning" your Baja.

"You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish."

Don't remember who that quote is from, probably Frank Zappa. Seems it was the title of an album.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
Marc

Post by Marc »

Leatherneck wrote:What note, piano wire, that is important for the final HP numbers
It doesn't take 88 different-thickness wires to string a piano, but sizes range from .006-.112". Unlike AWG sizes, a higher number denotes a thicker wire. Any high-carbon drawn-steel wire that meets the ATSM A228 spec may be called "piano wire".
#15 (.035") is a good size to have around for general-purpose use.
cbeck

Post by cbeck »

That album title is from reo speedwagon., 78 or 79.
Marc

Post by Marc »

"In 2005, the album cover was featured in Pitchfork Media's list of 'The Worst Record Covers of All Time', and in 2014 its title was featured in NME's list of 'The 50 Worst Album Titles in History'." Had it been a Zappa title, it probably would've been lauded as incredibly clever ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Can_T ... _Tuna_Fish
BAJA-IT

Post by BAJA-IT »

takotruckin wrote:I tried the local music store, they didn't have anything that would work and gave me the number of a piano guy who was hard to get a hold of. I finally ordered a roll of .039" piano wire from Amazon, and fixed my shifter the other night. Works good as new now. I now have about 59 feet of wire, so if anyone needs any, shoot me an address and I will send a couple feet.
Try the local Hobbie Shop, piano wire is used to link servos to the control surfaces on RC airplanes.
BRAT Motorsports #936
Bolt Center: Salt Lake City, Ut
ACE: Air Cooled Engineering, now Black Line Racing
madmitch

Post by madmitch »

I've learned a lot more than I used to know after reading this topic :lol:
If you feel you are picking up speed you may be going downhill.