cutting brake installation

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: cutting brake installation

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Photo bucket is *^$*)(*^)_9!!!!

Nine lives, Badbob did his exactly opposite what you did. He mounted the cylinders in front of the shifter with the tail of the turning brakes pointing down, as i remember, the handles pointed back at the shifter (its been a long time since I have seen the picture). A Subaru conversion.

In a Baja, the driver's is sitting higher so pull up handles can be worked easier than on a rail but they can be done.

The rail pictures I had loaded was of a rail with laydown handles. The cylinders were behind the seats and the handles protruding between the seats. The cylinders are mounted on a flat plate. (I will try to post the pictures again but it cost me a lot of gigs to do so).

I also had a picture of both styles of handles mounted to the cylinders.

Also a remove cylinder option which is what I am going to have to do. I think I have figured out a way to keep the rods from flexing.

Lee
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

These are some of the pictures I was trying to post earlier. It is costing me too many gigs to post pictures where we are right now.

This is the laydown mounting for the rail in our group. You can see the cylinder mounting is behind the seat on a flat plate mounted on the center tubes. I drove the rail this was mounted in before but on that rail the seat was so short that the seat was mounted on the rear torsion tube so to pull up was easy. Not sure on this rail since I have never driven or been in it.

This is a CNC unit with one laydown and one upright handle installed so you could see the difference.

This is the remote cylinder mounting which is looking like I am going to have to install on my black buggy. I think I have a way of eliminating the chance of the all-thread of flexing and that is encasing the rod similar to what is done here (but not using brake line) in a sleeve using some jam nuts to keep the end gaps of the tube and the all-thread from changing.

Lee
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

delete your email address. I have it