Manx build

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: Manx build

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Geez, I haven't heard the term "shot peen" for years! :shock: That sounds like a great idea.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_peening

An interesting read especially when it deals with welds. Something I either didn't know or had forgotten about.
jg210302

Post by jg210302 »

Back in the day I learned the value of shot blasting when dealing with fabricated uprights at a little company in England called Superpower. They hand fabricated uprights for everything from F1 to rally cars... They had amazing fabricated uprights using EDM core like the picture below. Like when I worked at Pankl they used many methods of shot peen from hand to fully robotic application... Not to mention I need to prep the surface and like the way it looks!
rear-upright.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jg210302

Post by jg210302 »

Lee, on your weld topic... I am really surprised many times when I look at the amazing fabrication skills that people have and the pieces of art that they produce to find out that they do not anneal or try to reduce the residual stresses of the welds especially in Chromoly which as we all know has some interesting transition properties and likes to fracture in those areas... I guess that the amount of safety margin designed into these parts accounts for lack of treatment?
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=sh ... &FORM=IGRE

I think it has become a somewhat forgotten subject except in some areas where it is called for in a specification. For what you manufacture I am sure it is there but for the normal guy it is: who, what, where and when on the subject.

The URLs I posted might give some insight into the subject but it still is where can it be done or how expensive is it going to be to get setup or, could my blast cabinet be set up to do this (while I doubt it but it probably would be a question. I did a quick search on the subject and found this among other things: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=co ... &FORM=VIRE It looks close but it is looking like this is more of a shot cleaning operation than what you are talking about... or is it?).

Fun, Annealing (yes, also a forgotten subject http://www.brighthubengineering.com/man ... annealing/ both of which I have blithered about a couple of times) and shot peening, both somethings new to talk and think about.
Lee

My opinion is worth slightly less than what you paid for it.
jg210302

Post by jg210302 »

It is kind of funny the old guy in the video was a friend of mine Gary that passed away last year, we have his cabinets... We use his cabinet with a mixture of steel shot and walnut shells. It performs both functions of the shot blast and of the cleaning and leaves an amazing surface finish...
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

Lack of post-weld treatment is one of the reasons that I'm not real fond of 4130 in applications like roll cages. The FAA OTOH seems to prefer oxy-acetylene gas welding fro 4130 in relatively thin wall applications like automotive roll cages. Without post weld treatment. Contrary to what is taught in welding/fab schools these days, a large HAZ seems to be preferred by the FAA. Less dramatic and sudden metallurgical transitions perhaps for less of a stress riser.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

You got this thing ready for the Night Run or what? :wink:
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
jg210302

Post by jg210302 »

No unfortunately, going a different direction, I have it for sale... Had some family issues come up and I need the cash more than a toy right now... The only good deal is my wife is super disappointed, so that means when I can get a new project she "should" be behind it 100%.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Sorry to hear about your having to sell it. I hope you took a lot of notes and pictures for future reference as, from what I could see, it had a lot of good work and good design ideas.

Lee
jg210302

Post by jg210302 »

I already learned a ton and I am keeping the extra parts... The next one will be better!
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Oh man I am sorry to hear that. I was only giving you a poke in hopes we might get to meet you. Hang on tight as life is a series of ups and downs.
jg210302

Post by jg210302 »

I am baaaack! Ok guys, crazy divorce is finally done! House should be sold here within the next month, life is almost back on track!

Sooo, I just ordered a new Mid-Travel body! I still have a bunch of parts that never made it onto the last build that I stashed... Starting with the Dave Brown 5x5 arms with 1" lift built in... They have been annealed and shot peened... This build will be a-arm from the start...

So here is my question for today, Subaru or LS? I am leaning towards Subaru because of the power to weight and that I can get a 5 speed subi trans for cheap... The engine on the other hand will cost me more. Or do I just bight the bullet and get the cheaper LS engine and the super expensive transaxle? What say you guys?
Vanillagurilla

Post by Vanillagurilla »

The real question is how much horsepower do you want? By the time you build the subi to make the power of a stock ls your going to need the expensive trans anyway and be out the money for building the Subaru and have to deal with turbo stuff. I say use a stock ls with a good trans and a good time. Then you will have your hp, torque and stock reliability. Plus if you want more hp later the ls is easy lol.
jg210302

Post by jg210302 »

Very good point... Either way is I guess around the same amount of money... I just plan on driving it on the street here and there, I will have to look into what trans can handle the LS and still be a little streetable...
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Glad to see you back excited about building. Trans is a pay me now or pay me later deal in my opinion. You have spent your life around big power cars. How many of them have a weak link as the trans? Now with that said you do not "Plan" to beat it. However you want some fun power. I like the subi and subi trans option here. But if you decide that turbos and such are in the future then that subi trans might not like it.

The thing I do like about LS option is you could just bite the bullet right from the get go and spend about 15K on a trans and it will handle a mild 400HP LS all day long. As you know that LS can go from 400 to 600 pretty easily and reliably. And well that 15k trans is still probably enough even in the offroad playing.

Yes you could get away with a 7-10k trans and LS. However my 7k HV-1 would come out if I was to go turbos on my V-6 or LS as that trans would then be the weak link again.

Just my .02 as I love spending other peoples money bwahahaha

Welcome Back!