Manx build

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
CentralWAbaja

Re: Manx build

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Dave understands his stuff for sure! Gray Area has been done by a few that I know of with good results & have not heard complaints. Can't remember who here but there was a couple.
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
jg210302

Post by jg210302 »

By the way a LOT of this is your fault! Well and Lee making me over think and engineer everything! LOL I just can't figure out why I want to keep the pan other than for registration but I do want to keep most of it...
This might get stupid, so I might have a ton of brand new VW parts for sale soon...
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

jg210302 wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:35 am By the way a LOT of this is your fault! Well and Lee making me over think and engineer everything! LOL I just can't figure out why I want to keep the pan other than for registration but I do want to keep most of it...
This might get stupid, so I might have a ton of brand new VW parts for sale soon...
Haha glad to help!

FWIW I speak from experience as I am about to drop a very large sum of money upgrading the front end of my car....NO! It will not have A-arms.

Enough about mine...get to work!
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
jg210302

Post by jg210302 »

You are such a tease!!! Post it up man, what are you doing???? Dave said that I would get more travel with his new a-arm setup and be happier for about the same amount of money that I would put into a good beam???
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

" By the way a LOT of this is your fault! Well and Lee making me over think and engineer everything!" :shock:

Not possible to over-engineer! Under yes, but over... I don't think so. Trade offs, yes, but over.... Over engineering is just getting ready for the next set if updates which starts the day after you finish the last one and take it out the first time. :roll: :lol: No, you can't figure it out until you have learned the hard way... or at least that is the impression I have gotten from knowing a lot of guys who have opinions that they have to change... usually quite quickly too. I think CWB is pretty familiar with this kind of logic which is why he ended up with the first class rig he has.

Yesterday I was looking for something in one of the VW catalogues I have when stuck inside one of them (and I hadn't had the catalogue out in over 2 weeks) was an old (2006) Appletree Automotive catalogue that I didn't know I had (the Appletree guy used to post here). Again, it was a 2006 version and on the inside front page was a tube chassis for a shortened VW buggy body (I just checked and they don't seem to carry it anymore), kind of like the ones Ajax/Barrean use (I just checked and they also don't seem to carry theirs anymore but they do have a [12" to 14" travel] &L beam to fit into a BJ rail frame but I am not sure about a bug frame head).

I now wish that I had started the second iteration of my black buggy by building my own chassis not in trying to up-date everything to make it strong and safe, fix problems I found with my 80" wheelbase blue buggy and from talking to others who knew or had to money to have the basics done for them. I learned a lot about scratch building doing this but too late to start from scratch; add to that I am too old now to begin again (I wasn't supposed to have live this long in the first place. :twisted: )
jg210302

Post by jg210302 »

Lee, that is why i am collecting all of the components and going to make sure it is built correctly from the start. I swear I am looking at CWB's build thread every other day... I also know that it is probably stupid to keep the pan and I should just build a complete tube chassis, but I want to make sure it is CA legal for the street and I have some ideas for basically how the pan is just going to be the floor board for the entire tube chassis...
jg210302

Post by jg210302 »

Lee, that is why i am collecting all of the components and going to make sure it is built correctly from the start. I swear I am looking at CWB's build thread every other day... I also know that it is probably stupid to keep the pan and I should just build a complete tube chassis, but I want to make sure it is CA legal for the street and I have some ideas for basically how the pan is just going to be the floor board for the entire tube chassis...
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I have never dealt with CA but I seem to have heard that it is possible to do things assuming you are one of the first "X" number of guys (metaphoric guys) on January 1. I think Rodders were into that bit at one time.

Its not that far off here now days. You have to have receipts for just about everything including the title(s) of the car(s) you scrapped to get parts from. Not sure about out-of-state titles either. I think there is a 3-year "thing" also here.

I think Berrien used to give a bill of sale and that may have been it. Not sure about Dave Barrett.

Lee
no1clyde

Post by no1clyde »

jg210302 I kept my pan and have been very happy with my car. Here it is without the body on it.

And here it is today with the body back on it.

It has had a front suspension change since the pan pic.

Ed
jg210302

Post by jg210302 »

Parts are starting to arrive!
_20170628_175741.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jg210302

Post by jg210302 »

Another view :D
_20170628_180340.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Nummy! :lol:
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Nice looking parts arriving. IF you went tube what would you have to keep to keep the VIN info?
jg210302

Post by jg210302 »

As far as I know it has to have the tunnel and torsion tube section?
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Leatherneck wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:35 pm ... IF you went tube what would you have to keep to keep the VIN info?
From what I understand CA is a very strict state when it comes to titles while there are other states that are not so strict on things. From checking on this with the state I live in several times (and by talking to a shirt tale relative who was part of this) which is a fairly strict state this is what I have learned.

Basically they are looking for conformation that the parts are not stolen or a/the car was not stolen then the parts reused on another car. If the car is being scrapped the title supplied allows them to remove the car from their datasets assuming it is scrapped or the VIN number reused (two catch 22s here: if you are scrapping a car the title is required to go with the vehicle to the scrappers. The other is based on something I saw in one of the popular TV shows this week [Phantom Works I think] where they rebuild or modify cars for customers. In this case it was a '57 Chev where the owners bought a car that had been modified so you couldn't see just how bad it was. Then ended up getting another body but checked with a couple of the states that the car would be driven it about moving the VIN tags to the new body. I am uncomfortable about the answer they got so I am not going to pass it on but check with you state on what you can and can't do here).

I am not sure about the re-using a VIN number so you would need to talk to the state you are dealing with. Based on the conversations I have had and things I have read, I don't think the state I live in allows it... but then....

Sales receipts are often required on just about everything you have on the car (in some states) which is why I recommend keeping a "build book" which several of the TV shows also recommend. A three-ring binder works well and you can get sleeved pages for them to put receipts and pictures in (photos of the build is often good in states that are looking hard at build quality).