Manx build

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
jg210302

Re: Manx build

Post by jg210302 »

Sorry for the confusion guys, but thanks for all of the input! These are just temporary fixes until I actually do a full cage. For example the braces that I posted pictures of will only be used while I gather the correct parts to strengthen it a little... The actual plan is to build a full cage front to rear with all of the suspension tied in. The only thing that will probably remain will be the pan, and the only reason for that is for simplicity and registration as I always want this to be street drivable.

My dream would be to end up with something like this...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jg210302

Post by jg210302 »

Ok, so who has a bender near HB that wants to earn some extra money or help me out? It looks like I am going to have to start buying new tools and a bender is at the top of the list... I even tried having some basic stuff priced out by local shops, holy cow are they proud of their work!
jg210302

Post by jg210302 »

Ok, so here is how the plan is forming up right now... I want to make a slider/lower support to help hide the bolt heads and strengthen the bottom of the pan. Here is a picture that I found that is along the lines of what I was thinking...
bottom1.jpg
bottom.jpg
I am also trying to find or make a 3" lift that is solid material not the junk that came on the buggy...
Lastly I want to build a cage that has a full length flange that the pan and body are sandwiched between.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

JG, there are several sites that have Bender plans. Like the idea of the recessed bolt heads, good idea. Ol'fogasaurus built his lift, has a pretty good write up on his build thread.
jg210302

Post by jg210302 »

Thanks Leatherneck, the portions of the bender that I didn't want to make like the dies are on the way. I will also be using a harbor freight ram to make it air over hydraulic. The plan is 1.750" and 1" diameter tube.

Lee and I have been emailing and bouncing ideas off of each other for a while. The Rock Slider idea is all him, I would have never thought about that portion...
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

This will be fun to follow. Something like that blue 4 seat buggy "Might" be in my future someday.
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
jg210302

Post by jg210302 »

Working on some cage ideas... I need to do a bunch more measuring to verify actual dimensions, I might even do an FEA (though I am not a huge fan of them) to identify weak points...
cage.jpg
jg210302

Post by jg210302 »

I really wish I could find someone that still makes the a-arm front suspension like Dan's used to sell... I would prefer to buy a proven product than have to design and build something myself...
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Get in touch with GitRdone, gotrdid, something like that.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

I though he was making them again?
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Check with Iguana, i thought he and Dan were working on some stuff together. Was thinking they were actually selling that same A-Arm.com kit that Big Dave put on his baja or something similar.
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

CentralWAbaja wrote:Check with Iguana, i thought he and Dan were working on some stuff together. Was thinking they were actually selling that same A-Arm.com kit that Big Dave put on his baja or something similar.
What is the chain, Dans has Iquana who has Get R Done making all their fab work? I have had dealings with all of them, good combo.
jg210302

Post by jg210302 »

Sorry for the lack of updates, nothing going on other than being buried at work and with kids playing sports...
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Life goes on, just remember your other family needs some OR love too.
jg210302

Post by jg210302 »

I have made a decision after talking with Daron (Thanks CWB!) quite a bit the best route to go will probably be a beam. It is amazing how expensive things can become really quickly. That is even with being in the industry and some people helping out a little! I have my air/hydraulic conversion for my bender almost completed...