4 adults in a baja with coilovers?

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
fl_buggy

4 adults in a baja with coilovers?

Post by fl_buggy »

I want to build a baja for my next play car. I also want to fit 4 adults in suspension seats. I also want coilovers in the rear. Has anyone seen this done with any success?

I've saved pictures of stretched baja's, which is my backup plan, but I don't feel confident in stretching and saving the roof, so it would have to be topless. I can work with this, but I'd prefer the top on.

So hit me with the brutal truth!
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: 4 adults in a baja with coilovers?

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Look hard at CWBs build! Not exactually what you have in mind but a lot of good info to be had. I forget who's it is but there is a 4-door Baja build in progress too.

To be honest a Baja with a good strong cage might be a tight fit in the back seat... or maybe not but seating might be a bit tight :roll: . Trade-offs have to be evaluated then taken into consideration. The passenger side front seat might need to be a tilt forward passenger seat mount.

Lee
bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

No way, Jose'!

2 kid suspension seats in the back maybe but tell them to keep their fingers out of the springs!

I'd suggest a Thing, check out baja5's thread.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
baja5

Post by baja5 »

Clints original baja was a 4 seater, although I think it originally had fiberglass buckets. It was full coil over though.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

IF your going to have a roofless baja why not just have a 4 seater rail with a body. Without stretching I don't know a way to fit 4 adults in a Tubed Baja without taking something out like tubes. Prove me wrong.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

One of the reason I mentioned CWB's build was that it had a lot of information on shock angles and the proper mounting the rear shocks and the depth into the passenger compt that goes along with it. Herbie made that point as well as Leather.

With the proper mounting and bracing of the rear of the cage with it's preferred connection to the "B-pillar" then to the rear torsion tube (to the torsion tube is much preferred over connecting to the rear of the pan; it supports/ties in the torsion tube better or you should add additional attachments from the torsion tube to the pan. The stock connections between the pan and the rear torions but are the best connections to start with.

I also think you would want to add proper support on the cage down bars to support the rear seat passengers 5 point harnesses also.

I was talking to one of the guys building a glass buggy about a different way of making rock sliders and tree bar connections the other day which would also help support the pan. I still think a good and thick material body lift to give additional support to the pan and add structure to the pan. Also door bars for side hits which make egress a bit more difficult.

Look at Leathers list of builds and see some previous builds and additional suggestions given to them.
KBWAKESK8

Post by KBWAKESK8 »

I built that car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:shock: :roll:
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

:D :twisted: :roll: I was having a senior moment and couldn't remember who it was... sorry! Thanks for posting so your build is available to him w/o doing a search.
KBWAKESK8

Post by KBWAKESK8 »

KBWAKESK8

Post by KBWAKESK8 »

the above car was mine this one is just one i liked.