I can't be the only one

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Leatherneck

I can't be the only one

Post by Leatherneck »

When I start the project I have every intention of putting stuff away and keeping everything clear, well sometimes it doesn't work out that way, further I get into it the messier the garage gets, flats spots on the buggy become prime real estate. Found these guys and thought, I am not alone. What about you guys? Messy or clean?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W686AshIvgQ

Ol'fogasaurus

Re: I can't be the only one

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I think it is more common than not for this to happen. The hard thing is to periodic clean up; the next thing is storage... and its continued use.

I have my buggy on jack stands mounted on wheels allowing me to move tthings around to create work areas depending on need. The same thing with the rotisserie when I was working on the pan and the raised body stand so I could store things under it or to move it around to work on it.

I still have messy work areas even w/all this.

It also goes into the planning of where you locate things inside your (metaphoric your) toy. Plan ahead!
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Watching him throw the wrench on the ground under some stuff made me think, good luck finding that later. They have me beat hands down. Get into the habit of cleaning is a must in the garage.
no1clyde

Post by no1clyde »

I am VERY MESSY in my work area it seems, I too have good intentions but it never works out. When I use Kens shop my area is off limits to everyone else until I am out of there and have cleaned it back up. Right now my shop is so bad you almost can't walk through it.

You are not alone in this.

Ed
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

I always just toss things down and can never find anything but im working on it. my garage also gets cleaned and the second its cleaned it get replied with stuff. we recently moved here so we still dont have any access to the bench but the pile has shrunk. Ive got an old grind box from my bmx that has turned into the spray paint and drilling area.
Travis
I spend way to much time on this site
chuckput

Post by chuckput »

I always try to return my tools to their proper spots, but almost everything else gets stacked upon the work bench. I have bought shelving units and various storage solutions, but what do you do when those fill up? Then there are the acquiring of all the necessary tools for our hobby and the space they take up in the shop. It does not help the my workshop space is not that huge. I think I have said it before, but I have to step outside to change my mind. I have spilled over to the "real" garage and carved out a space in the corner and created a semi-clean room where I am building my new engine.
DeMinimis

Post by DeMinimis »

I have no idea what you mean.

Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Well it is good to see your new welding table is being put to good use.
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

People who have plenty of nice clean work room in their garage just aren't doing a damned thing!

I once had a boss who had a sign on his office door that said
"A clean desk is a clear sign of a worker who has nothing to do."

Later, I had another co-worker who had a similar sign on his cubicle.
"A clean desk is a sign of a worker about to be laid off."

My garage makes it plain that I'm far from getting laid off.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
BAJA-IT

Post by BAJA-IT »

Any horizontal surface becomes a storage area!
BRAT Motorsports #936
Bolt Center: Salt Lake City, Ut
ACE: Air Cooled Engineering, now Black Line Racing
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

my garage got cleaned for a second and now its messy again almost had room for a car to fit in it.
Travis
I spend way to much time on this site
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

The Garage at our Maintenance compound has a nice work bench with drawers. When I got there it was packed with used and broken parts, dried up glue and other sealants along with some tools. I cleaned them all out and put the drawers in upside down. Now people pull the drawers out, see they are upside down and push them back in. No garbage has found a new home there.
cbeck

Post by cbeck »

All you need to do is look in the background at my 2 car shed.
birddog1148

Post by birddog1148 »

If I could get pics of the brewery, with as much space as I have the mess is HUGE

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

I may look dumb, but that's just a disguise, I'm a master-mind in the field of espionage!
helowrench

Post by helowrench »

I have a personal limitation in that I force myself to clear my toolbox/workbench tops once they go above 12" of accumulated crap, measured vertically.