TO grease or not TO grease.

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Leatherneck

TO grease or not TO grease.

Post by Leatherneck »

So I am doing the bearings on the spindles and came across a ole timer saying to fill the interior with grease as it acts like a reservoir. Myself I think it is kind of a waste but I was wrong once. What say you?
Ed ke6bnl

Re: TO grease or not TO grease.

Post by Ed ke6bnl »

I can't see how it can do much more than prevent rust. Water will suck in on warm bearings and quick cooling at a water crossing.
Agua Dulce, So.California
1968 2.2L Ecotec Power Baha Bug, king coils, etc.
1950 F1 street rod
1949 F1 stock V8 flathead
1948 F6 350 chevy/rest stock
1953 chevy 3100 AD for 85 S10 frame
1998.5 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins, p etc.
cbeck

Post by cbeck »

If nothing else, packing it full should keep the grease from bleeding out of the bearings when they warm up.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

I just give it a light coat on the inner bits, otherwise its just more mess to clean out next time, esp if you get water in there.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

He said that the full area will create a vacuum which will pull in grease. I did a test, one packed one with just enough on bearings but not in the reservoir. The bad bearing I pulled out had plenty of grease and it wasn't broke down, just a bad bearing.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

To state the obvious: clean the bearing and the race thoroughly inspecting for any dull spots or signs of wear (do not use compressed air to spin the bearings during the cleaning...very dangerous as type bearing can ccomes part and flying objects can do damage) Then put the bearing on two fingers and insert it (dry) into the race then rotate it (gently) feeling for any bumps or not smooth spots. Also look and feel for loose spots on the roller bearings.

If in doubt replace the bearing, race and always the grease seal.

This AM same subject was covered on TV.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Good advice Lee, these bearing don't have insert able races. I'll check out the bearings for sure, I know it has a rough spot just don't know why.
helowrench

Post by helowrench »

I fill the entire cavity.
No particular reasoning, just personal preference.
Marc

Post by Marc »

helowrench wrote:I fill the entire cavity.
No particular reasoning, just personal preference.
Also the factory recommendation - I've always done the same. Even if there's no tangible advantage, what can it hurt? I figure at the least there'll be a reserve of grease ready to melt and flow into an overheated bearing, which could make the difference in finishing/getting home.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

On roller bearings I was told and shown not to do the full back area pack but to maintain the bearings more often. That grease can pack hard and potentually make things worse. My post was for tapered bearings.
Marc

Post by Marc »

The factory procedures for both front (with tapered-roller bearings) and IRS rear (with one ball and one roller bearing per side) specify packing the cavity with approximately 2 ounces of grease. Lithium grease will "cake-up" if service is neglected for a long, long time - but no harm is done by it doing so, and if a bearing should overheat that'll re-liquify the grease allowing it to flow, so there's really no downside to having grease in the cavity IMO.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Sorry Marc but have witnessed just the opposite. Some of the (granted probably older) greases would mat with age and some matted when fresh especially with heat. Packed areas can hold moisture/condensation and its can get into areas not intended to have moisture (I have thrown away rusted/scored roller bearings before) Hopefully all the greases have impoved over the years but based on some of the stuff I have seen lately I am not sure that all have.

Besides, I hate cleaning that mess out!
Lee

My opinion is worth slightly less than what you paid for it.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

I used Disk brake bearing grease, as I did last time. I haven't seen any newer grease cake up like some of the older greases I have seen. One good thing about the housing, even packed there isn't a whole lot of room.
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

Refresh our memories as to which front hubs you're using. Are they VW T1 drums?
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Rear IRS, aftermarket 3X3, 944 hubs .