Cleaning the Garage

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Leatherneck

Cleaning the Garage

Post by Leatherneck »

I am cleaning the Garage as I need more room. Trying to figure out what to keep or get rid of.. question is how long does one keep stuff. I've got a lot of stuff I haven't used in awhile. Hate throwing away but hate yard sells too. How long say you?
CentralWAbaja

Re: Cleaning the Garage

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Have you stubbed your toe on it yet?

I mean, items get one freebee then they become airborne around here
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

CentralWAbaja wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:03 pm Have you stubbed your toe on it yet?

I mean, items get one freebee then they become airborne around here
I haven't but a trail is starting to form. I've got a project I need to start on too.
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

yeah get to work will ya?
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
no1clyde

Post by no1clyde »

Have friends do it, they will throw things away that you wouldn't LOL (Thanks for the help guys).......I can't help you with this as I am one that keeps everything all over the place. When Tim, Nate and Richard left last Sunday that is the cleanest my shop will be, I now have my street bike in there enjoying the room but also taken apart and filling the room :shock:

Good Luck

Ed
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I guess the question that it comes down to is:

How many back-ups do you need?

Is it good enough to keep?

Can it be fixed satisfactorily?

What is the plan for it?

Can someone else use it?

Could the space be better used?

Is it being ruined by sitting out in the weather?

Is it driving your spousal unit k-nuts? :roll:

Et al!
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Wish I was in a place where I could stash it. I am a closet Horder. But don't have the room for all the stuff I have. Something has to go. LOL my father said he is building another storage building so you can see where I get it from.
JUSSUMGUY

Post by JUSSUMGUY »

I also have hoarding tendencies since a lot of my builds use used parts and i have a hard time passing up good deals. To me it all depends what the parts are. Shocks?( not stock) I keep them since they are hard to find at a good price. Same with bus transaxles. Stock parts? I price them low and get rid of them. Parts i may use for future builds? I keep 'em. I dont keep spray nozzles out of aerosol cans (inside joke :)and i dont keep a lot of used bolts but i do have a good selection of new bolts.
no1clyde

Post by no1clyde »

JUSSUMGUY wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:58 pm . I dont keep spray nozzles out of aerosol cans (inside joke :)and i dont keep a lot of used bolts but i do have a good selection of new bolts.
LMAO...most of the bolts are new but there are some used ones and there is a good selection....and you never know when you might NEED a aerosol spray nozzle :roll: ........I did tell you I am a hoarder :mrgreen:

Ed
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Unless you know the history of a bolt I am usually reticent on reusing them. I've had several used fasteners "get soft" on me as I was tightening them or fail on me soon after installing them.
petew

Post by petew »

Leatherneck wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:46 pm I am cleaning the Garage as I need more room. Trying to figure out what to keep or get rid of.. question is how long does one keep stuff. I've got a lot of stuff I haven't used in awhile. Hate throwing away but hate yard sells too. How long say you?
We need a list of "stuff I think I should throw out". :wink:

Then we can tell you your mad or help you toss it... like there's an objective bone in anyone's body on this forum. :roll:
Class 11 streeter

Post by Class 11 streeter »

Is the "waste not want not" thread still alive in the off road classifieds (hint)?
So you think your project is taking forever eh? Well you've got nothing on me.....
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

hahaa, you guys are funny. Keep it coming.
bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

if the bolts and nuts have a square head they are definitely old! i scrapped most of my dads old bolts from machinery and plows a few years ago..
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

petew wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:06 am
Leatherneck wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:46 pm I am cleaning the Garage as I need more room. Trying to figure out what to keep or get rid of.. question is how long does one keep stuff. I've got a lot of stuff I haven't used in awhile. Hate throwing away but hate yard sells too. How long say you?
We need a list of "stuff I think I should throw out". :wink:

Then we can tell you your mad or help you toss it... like there's an objective bone in anyone's body on this forum. :roll:
I don't think time is a good factor. No sooner you get rid of it then you will need it. Qualiity/quantity might be a factor, rarity might count, redundancies might count, direction your builds are heading may require keeping stuff but I think the idea of rationalism/just getting rid of it is the biggest problem.