Buggy project - what to fix first

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: Buggy project - what to fix first

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I was pretty sure that was what you were talking about. I'd like to see more detailed information though.
Dune house diary 081.jpg
I currently am not running the side pieces which I think would be a problem.
DSC02270 - Copy (2).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Class 11 streeter

Post by Class 11 streeter »

Hey guys thanks for the replies. I am loving the pics! Hopefully one of my trips to Oregon I can get some pics of my own at the Winchester Bay dunes.
Anyhoo, on the question of blow it apart or just drive, my first priority is making it street legal. When I bought it the PO gave me a title for a 1963 bug and thats the plates on it now. Big problem in California, we can not use a VW VIN for a buggy or kit car. So, the plan is Special Construction, or SPCNS as its known here. For that I need to make it actually street legal including:
1. Speedometer
2. Legal headlights
3. Working brake lights
4. Working turn signals (including switch)
5. Windshield wipers
6. Horn

Then, get the inspections done and approved to get a state issued VIN and then it can be insured. Once street legal hit a few VW club gatherings and some local trails.

After Then, there is a growing wish list:
1. Cut the B pillar tube and be able to remove the upper cage and the fiberglass tub. The A and C pillar cage tubes already have the bolt together couplings but the B pillar was added later for shoulder belt tubing. The body lift and cage needs improvement and some things removed.
2. With the cage separated and the tub out, remove the gas tank from behind the front seats and relocate. Replace lowback front seats with highback suspension seats and slide back to improve my leg comfort. Eliminate the rear seats, they are just padding anyway. Rebuild cage to match. Fix/fill body issues as I make them including relocate B pillar and move tail lights.
3. Fix the fiberglass body shrink on the sides between body lift and tub bottom lip and install pan gasket. Already have ideas from the Manx club they are a helpful bunch.
4. Replace the aluminum floor with steel. Instead of bolting stuff thru the floor leaving bolt heads or nuts sticking down and getting busted off just weld it straight to the skidplate/floor.
5. Dead pedal for driver and foot rest/brace for passenger. Considering grab handle for passenger too.
6. Swap stock front linkpin beam with something better. Options still on the table. Steering box is centermount American iron adapted in just need to figure out what it is, it leaks.

Sorry for the crappy quality pics my old photo host kinda crapped out. Any suggestions?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
So you think your project is taking forever eh? Well you've got nothing on me.....
Class 11 streeter

This is the steering box anyone know what it is?
So you think your project is taking forever eh? Well you've got nothing on me.....
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Just got down to the dunes a couple of hours ago. Overcast and foggy (even had to run the wipers as it was so thick going through the Olympia area) but got sunny (I think) in the Salem area. Traffic was heavy most of the way down letting up at the Drain (a small city) exit and to Reedsport and on to HWY 101.

I've never ridden at Winchester Bay. Not too far from where we are but the only trailer here (~20') won't take a bunch of quads, a rail and maybe a SXS. No room left for even a short wheel base buggy :cry: :lol: . It does have the best and tallest dunes in the area.

Thanks for the shot of the side protection. Does the tube attach to the pan or the body lift and how is it attached.

Lee
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Was that you who posted my favorite pix of the rail sitting halfway submerged in wet sand. I don't have it with me in this lap top but it is something I cherish above most of the pictures I have.

Lee
chuckput

Post by chuckput »

Class 11 streeter wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:35 am When I bought it the PO gave me a title for a 1963 bug and thats the plates on it now. Big problem in California, we can not use a VW VIN for a buggy or kit car. So, the plan is Special Construction, or SPCNS as its known here.
I am assuming that your buggy has not been licensed for the street in a while. I say this because when I bought my bug it had a full length fiberglass body, but it was registered as a 1969 VW Sedan. I have since bought a 1967 Baja Bug body. As far as the DMV is concerned, it is still a 1969 Sedan.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

The body serial numbers and the pan serial numbers not agreeing can be a problem in different states. Some states don't seem to care and some care a lot. Best to check before you get too much money invested in it.

Also, when it comes to insurance, the type of title you get from the state can make a difference because some insurance companies not wanting to cover certain types of titles. I ran into that recently when questioning about a vehicle I was interested in.
Lee

My opinion is worth slightly less than what you paid for it.
Class 11 streeter

Ol'fogasaurus wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:44 pm Was that you who posted my favorite pix of the rail sitting halfway submerged in wet sand. I don't have it with me in this lap top but it is something I cherish above most of the pictures I have Lee
Hey Lee I have used the half sunk Beetle as my avatar since day one. I dont have the full size pic anymore but if I can get to my photobucket account I have a copy there.
Class 11 streeter

chuckput wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:21 pm
Class 11 streeter wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:35 am When I bought it the PO gave me a title for a 1963 bug and thats the plates on it now. Big problem in California, we can not use a VW VIN for a buggy or kit car. So, the plan is Special Construction, or SPCNS as its known here.
I am assuming that your buggy has not been licensed for the street in a while. I say this because when I bought my bug it had a full length fiberglass body, but it was registered as a 1969 VW Sedan. I have since bought a 1967 Baja Bug body. As far as the DMV is concerned, it is still a 1969 Sedan
Legally speaking, my buggy never was licensed for the street properly. My buggy has current tags for a 63 Beetle. California does not recognize a buggy, kit car, sandrail, or anything with a Beetle VIN (or any other VIN) as legal, the state of California must assign their own VIN as a Special Construction.
Class 11 streeter

Ol'fogasaurus wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:20 am The body serial numbers and the pan serial numbers not agreeing can be a problem in different states. Some states don't seem to care and some care a lot. Best to check before you get too much money invested in it.
Yep been researching and reading the horror stories for years. At this point the plan is to claim the buggy is fresh built (somewhat) and I want to title and register it. I have a company I have used in the past that helps with this. www.quickplates.net
Also, when it comes to insurance, the type of title you get from the state can make a difference because some insurance companies not wanting to cover certain types of titles. I ran into that recently when questioning about a vehicle I was interested in.
True. I talked to my insurance co (AAA) and they assure me they insure special construction aka SPCNS.
Class 11 streeter

Ol'fogasaurus wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:44 pmThanks for the shot of the side protection. Does the tube attach to the pan or the body lift and how is it attached. Lee
Pics tell more than I could. The best way I can describe it is the cage surrounds the body lift.
buggycage1.jpg
buggycage3.jpg
buggycage4.jpg
buggycage5.jpg
Sorry for the low quality pics......
Class 11 streeter

At the front of the pan looking behind drivers front wheel. The front beam is to the left. In the center of the pan a single tube joins with the body lift and runs front to back. The shifter sits on it too.
buggycage7.jpg
buggycage12.jpg
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Thank you! I will try to copy them and keep them for reference.
IMG_0437 - Copy.JPG
On my blue buggy I don't think I can do that for several different reasons. On my black buggy mainly somewhat because of the fenders but mostly because of the running boards. I do have the potential of doing some of it under the running boards for support when someone tried to get into the buggy via. them.

I have to draw something up soon on this. I just got back from talking brake presses, rolling and bead rollers with a friend down here who was a pro custom shape tin bender. Got some interesting ideas from him.

Lee

Thanks, I got em!
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

I tried to suggest such construction for your blue buggy way back when Lee, but you didn't want to hear it (read it?). You seem invested in formed sheet metal side protection for both. OK.

Support of the running boards would be good for the T buggy. And that would provide a modicum of side impact protection.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Thanks Dusty, the reasons for not doing the blue buggy that way are still the same; the close fit style of side panels would not fit anymore even though I am not currently running them (they would be OK for the street but on the sand they were just sand collectors). At the time of the discussions on this I spent a lot of time arguing with myself over side protection. After seeing several rails with their sides pushed in and based on several other things, especially with the way the new guys with the more lethal, heavy and much faster SXSs are driving on the dunes now days, even a tank is going to have problems surviving (and I am not jesting either).

The blue buggy may be sold before too long just not sure when so I want to keep it so the next owner can put them on if he/she wants to.

There will be some type of support for the running boards but not sure right now just what I will do there. Since I have so much other stuff going on right now I haven't had time to do much but think on ways to fix the steering and finish placing the seats.

I did buy a bead roller (before we went south for the winter but I still have not put it together, beefed it up or built a stand for it) as I am still thinking about the side guard rail type of stop like you see on the highway (what you described). I did a couple of structural intercostals' (if you try to look the word up you won't find anything that is not anatomy themed but basically it is a join between two or more structural entities to tie them together) many years ago that turned out to be quite strong and the weight penalty was not that great.