What body style is my VW sand rail?

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
WyattG17

What body style is my VW sand rail?

Post by WyattG17 »

I bought a VW sand rail from someone near me and haven't quite figured out what type of body style it has. Can anyone help me out?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: What body style is my VW sand rail?

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Wyatt, it is one of the older frame kits; I think it is a Fugitive kit ( https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=fu ... &FORM=IGRE ) With the long front end and short long back style the engine and transaxle sit farther back than some of the other designs.

If I remember correctly most of them, but not all, were setup with a king and link style of beam mounts. You could get them setup for either swing axle or IRS rear suspension. Add some additional structure (Kaffer/Truss mount) to support the engine/transaxle mounts aka "Pickle forks". I am pretty sure than additional travel, if that is what you want, can be added front and rear.

If you don't have one then add a lower engine cage, maybe with a skid plate, to protect things from below.

Check the tubes, the tube joins (welds) then have at it and have fun.
Lee

My opinion is worth slightly less than what you paid for it.
WyattG17

Post by WyattG17 »

Okay thanks a bunch! i figured it was older just could never find a match of the body style. I was thinking about adding some sort of support for the engine just wasn't too sure on what would work. the engine itself is a believe a 70's model engine bc the serial number starts with F1 so im guessing the guy who built it made it around the 70's maybe 80's.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

What are your plans with it besides some engine support? Serial number/info on engine, is it a dual port?
WyattG17

Post by WyattG17 »

Its not a dual port. it is a 1970 engine i believe. the serial number on the engine is F1810990. i was wanting to make it street legal but it would require a lot more work. i have to buy all new shocks and rear tires for it aslong as re-wire a lot of the electrical system. i am thinking about getting metal siding and a hood to cover the front to help with dirt and debris from hitting me in the face and messing up something underneath it. i may try and get a front bumper to help keep the frame from getting messed up if i do happen to just bump into anything. I'm just now starting to learn about VW engines as a new hobby bc they are a lot of fun to tinker with, so i don't know too much about them as of now.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Wyatt, you need to contact your state to find out what you will have to do to get a title and make it street legal. Some states, like where I live, do not allow them to be titled for the street anymore while some states licensing for the street doesn't seem to be a problem so check before you get too deep into this.
WyattG17

Post by WyattG17 »

Yeah i think in Florida you can, but i am going to check before i put money into making it street legal. Thanks for the heads up though! Didn't know that some states did not allow it.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

WyattG17 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:39 am Yeah i think in Florida you can, but i am going to check before i put money into making it street legal. Thanks for the heads up though! Didn't know that some states did not allow it.
It rains a lot on the west side of the state. While Atlanta gets more rain than we do but they get it in a shorter period of time. The buggies are so light that they hydroplane easily and disappear from view in the long periods of grey days. They also don't fare well against 18 wheeler's. Out of curiosity I had a long talk about it with the authorities... a couple of times.
WyattG17

Post by WyattG17 »

Oh okay well i will keep that in mind. I was mainly going to use it as a second vehicle if i ever needed a back up for my truck.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

For what your planning on doing it sounds great. I'm not sure what they are called there... maybe a rail buggy but you do get enough sun that besides a cup holder you might need a sunscreen holder... within reach. A big grin is a given.

Lee
WyattG17

Post by WyattG17 »

Yeah sunscreen holder i would for sure need!!!