4 Wheel alignment or just 2 Wheel

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Leatherneck

4 Wheel alignment or just 2 Wheel

Post by Leatherneck »

OK guys have been driving some on the road and the wind has been brutal on a couple trips, I get blown around as if I was drunk or texting. I need to check alignment to see if it is correct. What is the best way to do that, 4 wheel or just front and back? From what point to what point?
CentralWAbaja

Re: 4 Wheel alignment or just 2 Wheel

Post by CentralWAbaja »

For me I did everything off of centerline. IDK if that is right or wrong? But i figured I built the car off of a centerline so I set the toe front and rear off of it as well.
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

I have a hard time getting a consistent measurement so I stuck this on the tires. Measured 14.5" from the deck on front and back, that way I can stick the tape measure side to side with. Btw my rear was 75.75 in the rear of the tire and 76.250 in the front :shock:
IMG_274.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TimS

Post by TimS »

Toe out in the rear is brutal to drive straight.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Leatherneck that is pretty much what I did as well. I set my rear at 1/16 in on each side on the rear and 1/16 out on each of the front. This was off CL again so 1/8 toe in on the rear and 1/8 toe out on the front and all measured off CL so that I knew it was not all coming off opposite corners or something crazy like that
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

TimS wrote: Sun May 07, 2017 5:06 pm Toe out in the rear is brutal to drive straight.
I didn't notice to much on the road, off road really not at all but I was on the highway and gusts of wind hit me and I was all over the place. Interesting it was :oops:

Both front and back are set at 1/8" toe in. I'll give that a try, it HAS to be better then what I was at.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

TimS wrote: Sun May 07, 2017 5:06 pm Toe out in the rear is brutal to drive straight.
I didn't notice to much on the road, off road really not at all but I was on the highway and gusts of wind hit me and I was all over the place. Interesting it was :oops:

Both front and back are set at 1/8" toe in. I'll give that a try, it HAS to be better then what I was at.
takotruckin

Post by takotruckin »

Come to town and I'll set you up on our Hunter machine 😀
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Opinion: get a 4-way alignment then check the way CWB did for future alignment, write it down and don't loose it. Tube buggies and the wind are not always friends especially if you have solid, flat bottom floors. Another reason they can't be licensed for the street here any more.
ajdenette

Post by ajdenette »

T3 Technique a Vanagon Vendor wrote up a very good DIY alignment procedure originally posed on TOS before he really got his web shop going and focused on the Vanagon but has a lot that can help on any car.

http://www.t3technique.com/t3-research- ... nment.html
Alex

|_________oo_oo
/ /__/____[_____\
I I======[]IIIIIII[]
()_)-----()_)----)_)
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Ajdenette thanks for the info. Good write up.