Welding CV flanges

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Piledriver

Welding CV flanges

Post by Piledriver »

Since this is the default welding forum on the STF, figured I'd ask here:

I'm converting trans drive stubs for an early 003 automatic to T4, and extending one about an inch.
There were T4 versions of these, but were a different design and spline setup
I'm also widening the "short" side stub by ~an inch so it bolts in with std axles with a small motor side offset.
(making it std T1 flange-to-flange width)

The drive stub "retainer" flanges have already been turned down to ~4mm, they will be getting countersunk screws for retention, leaving plenty of room for the larger CV flange (as well as screw access, 5x 100mm pattern) without making the long side wider.

Will be turning the flanges and stubs in a lathe to get a concentric/press fit with good overlap, using VW flanges off a dead 002.
Does anyone have suggestions as to suggested wire/rod type, and/or a good method to extend one?
Will be running at least 200HP through these, possibly much more.

Have a Synchro 250 and a Tweco 181i , latter can do MIG or TIG, spoolgun, have an adapted 250A Firepower spoolgun on it.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
bajaherbie

Re: Welding CV flanges

Post by bajaherbie »

Fluxcore wire in a harbor fright welder? Haha

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.