Identifying spindles ?

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
mlrailguy

Re: Identifying spindles ?

Post by mlrailguy »

Yes, been running stock for 18 years. Have another set of spindles coming soon. Going to reinforce them with the gussets also. I'm a welder, so that part isn't a problem.
The steering arm on passenger side was beginning to fold upwards. I measured from kingpin on drivers side and then the other side. Found an inch of difference.
I have already gone with Tweeds 2.25 arms, and it did help a lot.
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

Make sure the tie rods are not hitting the sides of the frame. Not much else to cause the steering arm to bend upward.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
Class 11 streeter

Post by Class 11 streeter »

images-7.jpeg
Hey guys here is a pic of both OEM spindles and the aftermarket combos for reference. You can see the beef of the combos compared to stock.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
So you think your project is taking forever eh? Well you've got nothing on me.....
Class 11 streeter

Post by Class 11 streeter »

dustymojave wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:17 pm And I'm not sure what Pile was suggesting above
A common setup is link pin knuckle with the sturdier BJ spindle, or other HD spindle.
I have seen a pic, *somewhere*, of a VW OEM spindle that was linkpin carrier with balljoint spud, supposidly an OEM application from our southern hemisphere cousins (Brazil?). Can't find the pic but it's unobtainium here unless it is built, and for the hassle the combo spud is worth the effort over the balljoint spud since it's probably the same price for the work.
So you think your project is taking forever eh? Well you've got nothing on me.....
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

A BJ spud/hub has a place if you don't want to spend $1K/axle on disk brakes, although there seems to be more/better choice lately.

Not strictly off-road related, CB sells a KP aluminum hub front setup in 5x130 that is making me consider a combo spud for my T3.
(have a slightly damaged spindle and replacing the spuds would allow a small amount of drop, as well as a stronger spindle)

As an aside, the Porsche 928/944 "manholes" or 7 slots are forged Fuchs yet can be had dirt cheap.
You wont find a stronger, lighter wheel, or likely even a stronger wheel, period.

There are lots of good choices in 16" truck tires. Little choice for hipo car tires in USA anymore, esp the 245/45-16 size used out back on the 944s and 928s originally. Oddly, no problem overseas.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.