Time for a rebuild

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
619bug

Time for a rebuild

Post by 619bug »

So after a having 2 kids and a regrettable 6 year desert break, I feel like the sand rail has been neglected enough. So I decided to start a thread to track my progress and get help and guidance when available. As soon as I acquire my jd2 bender the roof will come off and be rebuilt and since I have several cracks in the back part of the frame it will be cut off and replaced. Thanks for looking and any info is appreciated.
IMG_1009.JPG
IMG_1010.JPG
IMG_1011.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: Time for a rebuild

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

A good start. What is the wheelbase?
sleeved[1].jpg
About 15 to 20 years ago, after a freak accident, everyone around where I ride raised the top of their cages so the underside of the cage was about 4" higher than their head so for what it is worth. This came from Dustymohave and it is a good piece of reference for safety.

Lee
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
619bug

Post by 619bug »

Not sure of the wheel base. The roof is definitely closer to my head than I like. Thanks for the sleeve info. It was defiantly my plan for replacing the back hoop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

IMG_1011[1].JPG
(I tried to lighten up your picture to seem more things) Since you have a "short back" rail/buggy I am not sure that the far rear down tubes (the bent one you I think you are talking about) are going to be much good other than for carrying a spare :wink: , the bends. I am fighting a similar problem with minimizing the bends in the down tubes myself. I've seen similar rear sections on buggies before but usually they are there to support/protect the fuel tank.
004.JPG
This is one of the rails in our group that I put back together. I had to change the front bean and redo the steering. It has been sitting but about all it needs now is for the brakes to be re-plumbed and the engine wired. Other than the dent in the bend and it being a shorter wheel base there may be some ideas for you. I have more pix if you need them.

You already have the supports for the engine/transaxle frame horns which is good. You could almost run bars from the rear body hoop directly to the top of the rear cage hoop for strength but would lose most of the fuel tank mount area... maybe!

Since I see Razorback tires up front I am assuming you are still going to use it on the sand... true or is it going to be a combination or a desert toy? The wheel base can or may not make a difference but I the stock VW wheelbase of about 95" would be the shortest I would recommend. I've seen them smaller and while they allow you to turn quicker but among other minor disadvantages the ride suffers (more choppy). Too long of a wheel base can be a problem in other ways also.

Lee

Update: I looked for the build string I did on this (a rail redo) but, as usual, Photobucket has screwed it up and is holding the pictures hostage. I still have the pix which I can either post or send to you. For example:
001 (20).JPG
619bug

Post by 619bug »

Got some time to work on the rail today. Got the transmission pulled ready to clean. My new dilemma is when I drag Ned the trans fluid I found metal chunks on the drain plug magnet. I never noticed any problems while driving so I’m torn whether or not to tear it down. Knowing my luck it’s probably better to check it than get stranded in the dunes. Anyone have any suggestions for a good repair shop or has anyone done a rebuild by themselves. Thanks for any replies

ajdenette

Post by ajdenette »

What did the chunks look like? was it a fuzzy afro or were there identifiable pieces? you can try looking around the transmission forum to see if you are up to the task it does require a press at the minimums but there are some other more special tools needed for rebuilding transmissions. Sorry I don't have more answers just more questions.
Alex

|_________oo_oo
/ /__/____[_____\
I I======[]IIIIIII[]
()_)-----()_)----)_)
petew

Post by petew »

Take a pic of the chunks. Post it. ;)
619bug

Post by 619bug »

I think I threw the chunks away by accident when cleaning up since I couldn’t find them but in good news I finally got my jd2 bender so I can bend my new roof. Here are some pics of the stand base I made. My welds are not the prettiest but I hope they will hold up.
IMG_1024.JPG
IMG_1025.JPG

Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Practice, practice, practice! Check for penetration but that is kind of hard on a sealed up tube isn't it. Good to start on something that doesn't potentially affect your health.

Lee
Jadewombat

Post by Jadewombat »

The approach is a little different depending upon which weld you're doing. It looks like you're using a MIG machine and those are 1/8" or 3/16" plates?

Those welds probably will hold, but if you want to try again it doesn't take but a couple of minutes to grind them back about 50% and just go over them. You can use 19 or 20 volts depending upon the machine you're using or a number 3 setting. The vertical welds you want to start at the uppermost point and weld downwards in a frown pattern (upside down "U"s) making good wall contact. This will hold the puddle where you want it instead of it dripping down on you.

Joining the welds along those sides you just do small circles, nice a slow with some overlap.

I work as a full-time fabricator and make mistakes just like everyone else does. Nothing a grinder can't fix and a different approach until I'm happy with it. Good luck with the car!