Conversion beam

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Vanillagurilla

Conversion beam

Post by Vanillagurilla »

So I'm looking for a conversion beam for a ball joint pan head link pin beam. They guy who used to make them passed away and the kid sold all his stuff. Acme beam is for coil overs and I'd like to keep it torsion. If you guys know of anyone building them or someone in so cal or close to that can build one of appreciate it. Thank you.
dustymojave

Re: Conversion beam

Post by dustymojave »

At one time Tweeds made conversion arms using the shank portion of stock ball joint arms with the arms replaced with tube just like fabricated link pin arms. They then worked with link pin spindles. But the guy at Tweeds told me that it was getting too hard to find core ball joint arms to make them from so he quit making them.

Both seem like good product opportunities. But I don't really want to un-retire now... :roll:
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
Vanillagurilla

Post by Vanillagurilla »

dustymojave wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:18 am At one time Tweeds made conversion arms using the shank portion of stock ball joint arms with the arms replaced with tube just like fabricated link pin arms. They then worked with link pin spindles. But the guy at Tweeds told me that it was getting too hard to find core ball joint arms to make them from so he quit making them.

Both seem like good product opportunities. But I don't really want to un-retire now... :roll:
Yeah I thought about building ball joint arms with uniballs that will bolt on the a ball joint spindle but then I would have to build custom arms and beams since nobody makes a ball joint beam with towers either. I'm just going to build a link pin beam and use some steel adapters welded to the pan head and extend the steering.
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

You could build arms and cut the stock towers off the beam just above the upper beam tube. Then fabricate new towers out of tube.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
Vanillagurilla

Post by Vanillagurilla »

I found a complete kingpin beam 6in wider with 10in towers, stock spindles and arms complete drum to drum with rack and pinion and tie rods for pretty cheap so it looks like I'm going to convert it. I found a guy making ball joint to link pin adapters out of steel so the beam will get bolted on and then the adapter welded to the panhead along with building some new beam braces that are on the car already since the lower braces are where my tow bar attaches. Hopefully I don't have to do to much clearancing on the top of the panhead for the rack.