Hardware Recommendations

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Scott Gilbert

Hardware Recommendations

Post by Scott Gilbert »

Last week I sold my '67 cal-looker and I decided to immediately start working on my baja project. I've had it for 10 years, but a growing family took priority. Now that it is in the garage, I am excited to work on VWs again. It is a '70 shell with a class 5 roll cage bumper to bumper. It is not going to be anything exotic, just a "normal" baja. I should have the 1641 completed in a month or 2, currently battling rocker arm geometry. I have Thing arms & spindles with a Saco R&P. Should be a fun project. First question is what do you guys recommend for hardware? Class 8.8 or 10.9? I was thinking about just ordering a box of 8 & 10mm class 10.9 nylocks & washers. Any thoughts?
Leatherneck

Re: Hardware Recommendations

Post by Leatherneck »

10.9 is better but 8.8 isn’t bad. Cost difference and could you use a mixture of both as is 10.9 needed in everything?
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

"... It is not going to be anything exotic, just a "normal" baja. …"

That's what you say now but when it's done... then what happens :roll: :lol: . I've heard and said that myself! 8)

Sometimes is it overkill (both cost and structurally) to put a very strong fastener ($$$) in a weak (need structurally like bolting/clamping two pieces of almost see-though material together with an oversized 10.9 fastener [over exaggerating for effect]) situation but it is your money and it would save multiple trips to the box store for fasteners.

Lee
BAJA-IT

Post by BAJA-IT »

10.9 would be equivalent to grade 8, and 8.8 to grade 5.
BRAT Motorsports #936
Bolt Center: Salt Lake City, Ut
ACE: Air Cooled Engineering, now Black Line Racing
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

BAJA-IT wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:28 pm 10.9 would be equivalent to grade 8, and 8.8 to grade 5.
https://www.fastenermart.com/understand ... asses.html

https://www.fastenermart.com/understand ... asses.html

This chart shows the head markings and this chart does not show all of them by a long shot (an example: http://www.americanfastener.com/astm-sa ... fasteners/) Kind of gives ya the OMG giggles doesn't it.

I seem to remember one or two times I was directed to use (on the drawing/blueprint) Grade 10 and/or Grade 12s but very uncommon as I remember. It was over 30 years ago as I remember.

I did see some discussion about AN (Army Navy) specs on line which we are not supposed to know about as they are federally propriatary. There are NAS (National Aerospace) equavilents that we should be using discussion wise. Things sure changed in the last 50+ years, at one time I could have lost my job for even mentioning them.
chuckput

Post by chuckput »

Scott Gilbert wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:32 pm It is not going to be anything exotic, just a "normal" baja.
I am with Lee on this one. I know I started with a low budget build. It just seems to snowball. I love it. It keeps me out of bars and chasing women (of course, if you have read the "Are You an Antique" thread, you know I am too old to be chasing women) :P :P :D

Have fun with your build because that is the whole point.
Scott Gilbert

Post by Scott Gilbert »

Thanks guys. I will try to use 10.9 for the suspension and drivetrain. I don’t think bolting on rear fenders necessitates 10.9 fasteners! Any preference for normal hex vs. nylock vs. flanged?

One thing I like about this project is that I can use all new hardware. On my previous VWs I was critical of using the correct Kamax fasteners and had to degrease, blast, and zinc plate everything. This is going to be much easier.

I understand about VWs and scope creep. When I was “finished” with my 67 it was a solid street car with a 12:1 running straight 110. It ran 11.70s @ 122 mph. I broke a lot of stuff, but I learned a lot. My short term goal is to make my baja driveable in order to register it. Since it was a shell when I bought it, the DMV wouldn’t transfer the title. But microstubs sound interesting.….I pass by Howe to drop my kids off at school, I could stop in to check on power steering…..Yes, VWs are addicting and it is difficult to control.

Appreciate your input.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

"...of course, if you have read the "Are You an Antique" thread, you know I am too old to be chasing women..."

That's true... as long as it is your wife your chasing 8) .

Lee
chuckput

Post by chuckput »

^^^^^^Yep^^^^^^^^