Baja Squareback

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
type34sunroof

Baja Squareback

Post by type34sunroof »

Hello all,

Has anyone out there ever done a baja squareback? I have a 69 square that I thought would make a great camping vehicle and off-roader. I also have a line a wrecked 74 bus (t-boned) with a good running engine and tranny. I have a pretty good idea what is involved in the engine/tranny swap and adjusting the torsion bars a couple of splines. Question is what about tire and fender clearance? I thought about adapting some flares from some other car. Has anyone done anything like this who can point me in the right direction?

The 4x4s around here all gawk when me and a buddy of mine show up at the top of the hill in his 64 beetle, I just want to get in on the fun and see the looks when I pull up in a STATION WAGEN at 12000ft.!!

------------------
"Fill her up and check
the oil please". I love
doing that!
danfromsyr

Baja Squareback

Post by danfromsyr »

hmm I have seen a few baja squarebacks and the most successful way is with a 3in body lift and the usual suspension mods..

with a body lift you should be able to use the cheapie solid bus tranny mounts and run the shifter on top of the tunnel with a buggy shift box welded over the old hole.
then just have to fab a differant way to engage the E-brakes
(retain the bus e-cables as they are mucho longer and can be modified as well.)

i myself like the looks of a baja wagon and done right can be a real head turner..
mrbaja

Baja Squareback

Post by mrbaja »

There's a dude on the other side of the island who has one. He kind of did a mild tube frame approach. The front end was a widened Wright unit supported by tube chassis. He built it so he and his kids could go camping for weeks at a time in AZ. He even has a tent set up that clamps to the rain channel so he can effectivly sleep 4 people. I have a pic if I can find it. I'll see if I can find the guy too.
Aloha, Theo
danfromsyr

Baja Squareback

Post by danfromsyr »

mrbaja

Baja Squareback

Post by mrbaja »

Looks cools and it already comes with the coveted T3 brakes!
ALoha, Theo Image
mrbaja

Baja Squareback

Post by mrbaja »

Looking at that square back, it looks like it would make a cool pick up, VW's version of a Ranco/El camino.
Aloha, Theo Image
danfromsyr

Baja Squareback

Post by danfromsyr »

I agree VW shoulda made a few more/better options and then hired a competant marketing group to push it to the general public.

I mean really their idea of a 'baja' bug had crappy rims and black trim..

where on my baja I am using nearly all vw parts with minimal custom picies, used only to adapt another vw part. and I have 16' cleanance under the floor with 30' tires.

everything on my tuff bug they coulda made heaply from existing parts and offered a truely intimidating street/off-road car
type34sunroof

Baja Squareback

Post by type34sunroof »

Thanks for the replies guys. Here are my plans for my budget off-road square. 74 1.8 type 4 motor stock. 4.86 r+p bus tranny also stock with a berg nosecone conversion. 2 spline adjustment front and rear. 5.5" empi sprintstars with ??? tires. I was running 205 50 15s when it was a street car in the rear by careful pulling of the stock fender and without any spline adjustments. So I think I can get away with some 205 75 15 off-road tires without probs on the rear. What would work on the front? Also what is the difference in length of the bus axles? What axles am I going to need if stock is too long? Should I use the Bus rear brakes or the type 3? Sorry for all the ?s but thanks for any answers.

------------------
"Fill her up and check
the oil please". I love
doing that!
Bob Ingman

Baja Squareback

Post by Bob Ingman »

No need to use too much front tire. Ideally a tall narrow tire is best off-road. I`m running a 215/75/15 on the front of my Thing on 3 1/2" rims and it seems about right. The rear is 235/75/15 on7" rims with a two spline lift. No rubs. You can do a lot of research in tire dimention at www.tirerack.com there are spech sheets with all needed dimentions there.
The type 3 rear brakes are most desirable no reason to change to anything else.
Wish I could help with axle length but I`m sure Berg will have answers when you purchase the nosecone conversion units from them. Good luck. Bob Ingman
STGlax15

Re: Baja Squareback

Post by STGlax15 »

type34sunroof wrote: Tue May 07, 2002 2:12 pm Hello all,

Has anyone out there ever done a baja squareback? I have a 69 square that I thought would make a great camping vehicle and off-roader. I also have a line a wrecked 74 bus (t-boned) with a good running engine and tranny. I have a pretty good idea what is involved in the engine/tranny swap and adjusting the torsion bars a couple of splines. Question is what about tire and fender clearance? I thought about adapting some flares from some other car. Has anyone done anything like this who can point me in the right direction?

The 4x4s around here all gawk when me and a buddy of mine show up at the top of the hill in his 64 beetle, I just want to get in on the fun and see the looks when I pull up in a STATION WAGEN at 12000ft.!!

------------------
"Fill her up and check
the oil please". I love
doing that!
Hey man, I am about to pull the trigger on a 73 fastback and have the engine and transmission of a 74 bus. How did your project turn out? Shoot me a text if you can. I know it has been 15 years since this post but I too have a VW passion and need some help! (414)534.0544
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Its a pretty easy swap as far as the engine, and the trans should almost bolt in, as a 73 T3 has no frame horns in the way.
Hit the T4 into t3 thread, lots of info there.

You will need to fab a front mount for the trans, and adapt the Bus rear hanger to the T3 crossbar pickups.
The Std shifter setup will work, but you will need to drill a dimple on the bottom of the shift fork as the screw on a T3 is on the bottom.
You may need the slightly shorter bus into bug axles--- I have used 944 axles and modded bug axles with bus CVs on an 091...
It has been done in several ways numerous times.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

STGlax15 wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:00 pm
type34sunroof wrote: Tue May 07, 2002 2:12 pm Hello all,

------------------
"Fill her up and check
the oil please". I love
doing that!
Hey man, I am about to pull the trigger on a 73 fastback and have the engine and transmission of a 74 bus. How did your project turn out? Shoot me a text if you can. I know it has been 15 years since this post but I too have a VW passion and need some help! (414)534.0544
Pull the trigger, lets get this started.