Street legal rail buggy????

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

You may want to look into getting it tagged as a street rod. The insurance will be cheaper but you may be limited on your mileage.
john @ no dollars racing

Post by john @ no dollars racing »

we have a street legal rail in va its regestered as a vw sandrail look for posts by kevin @ no dollars racing i think he explained how to do it before.hers a pic.http://www.pbase.com/image/17082932 bee cool john
Hot Wheels

Post by Hot Wheels »

It has not so much been the police who have hasseled us about proper registration in the past, but the DNR. You go to the dunes or trail riding and run from town to town or to the entrance and they will stop you and judge it on the spot. They are much more familiar with the rules as it pertains to us that most troopers are.

In most cases you have to use the stock part of the tunnel with the serial #s on it in the rail to use the VW title. Works well in the Manx style buggies but harder to do belivably in a rail.
Rowdy

Post by Rowdy »

Hmmm, In my case my rail project got its parts from a VW Bus, in particular the transaxle, rear torsion, speedo, and maybe the engine (if I can afford to rebuild that type-4). I even have that's bus metal stamped serial numbers which I can somehow attach to the rail. One is the metal VIN from the dash and the other is sheet metal from the engine compartment. I don't know of any other s/n on the bus.

Anyway, with all the metal stamped s/n attached to the rail, the bus parts, and the bus title, does it qualify as a bus?? I DMV may allow it, but I doubt the insurance compamy would. I just don't know, but will post it once I find out.

I don't understand why the DNR (assuming you mean Dept of Natural Resources) cares what you drive? I understand that they want to protect the NR, but what does it mater to them you drive VW bug, bus or a buggy? That seems like only the DMV's business.

Post by Guest »

It has to do with the ticket they write you. They have most of the authority of the state police and more.
BajaNick

Insurance?

Post by BajaNick »

How are you gonna insure a street legal Rail?, Cuz I have a hard time insuring my Baja here in So. Cal. I had to go to 4 different insurance companies/brokers before they would insure it and it is just the plain old 7 peice baja kit? They kept telling me i need to see the Hightway patrol and get a vehicle safety inspection and i told them to go to H&^%. LOL!
CGarrett

Re: Street legal rail buggy????

Post by CGarrett »

Flipper did your bill of sale need to be notarized?
dustymojave

Re: Street legal rail buggy????

Post by dustymojave »

Are you aware that the last post before yours was in 2003?
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting