weld in IRS trailing arm pivots

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
WOODY

weld in IRS trailing arm pivots

Post by WOODY »

I'm thinking about changing my rail buggy over to IRS transmission and I now have a swing axle. Has anyone used the weld in IRS pivots. I have read that you have to use a welding jig to get them in the right place. Where do you get the welding jig. Any ideas????? Thanks!! :D
Class 11 streeter

Post by Class 11 streeter »

Any particular reason you want to do this? Building a long travel suspension or something? A swingaxle works great in a lightweight buggy, simple and reliable......
So you think your project is taking forever eh? Well you've got nothing on me.....
vicsvw

Welding Jig ??

Post by vicsvw »

You will most likely have to make your own jig or check out some local Buggy Shops as they most likely have one. See-> http://www.1800vw.bizhosting.com/irspivots.htm
vwracer1172

Post by vwracer1172 »

I am doing the same conversion on my baja right now i got the welding jigs from suspensions unlinited 714-632-4482 my car will be done tomarrow i am putting SU 3x3 arms on it with bilstein 7100 resivors
WOODY

Post by WOODY »

I am doing this besause the swing axle has gone bad. I have a IRS trans I could put in instead of trying to fix the swing axle. How much do the welding jigs cost. I wish I could find out how the build a jig. Thanks!
vwracer1172

Post by vwracer1172 »

the jig is like $90.00 there is inctructions on how how to make a jig on blindchickenracing.com but you have to have a irs trosion housing to make the jig off of
Flipper

Look around for a IRS froma VW shop

Post by Flipper »

I am about to change over to IRS for my rail and will just be changing out the torsions and be done with it. Torsions here run about $75 for a used one out of a old bus. Tranny is another $250 to $300 and then axles and CV joints and the odds and ends and you are done. So for about $500 or so you can have it changed out no problem.

Flipper
turboblue

Post by turboblue »

Flipper

Any special reason you want to use a bus torsion? They are wider and heavier than a sedan. A car torsion with the correct shorter axles and the IRS bus transmission would work fine for you,
Just curious.......
Gary

Turbo VW Sand Drag Buggy
2013 Polaris Ranger 4x4
My Website
Shop Facebook Page
Flipper

IRS in a rail

Post by Flipper »

Turboblue, the main reason to change over to the IRS is that you have more ability to change the ride height without changing the way the tire rides on the ground. You can get several more inches of height with the IRS where you can't with the swingarm. The terrain I ride in here is mostly rocky and steep.

Flipper
turboblue

Post by turboblue »

Flipper

What I meant was why a bus IRS torsion over a sedan IRS torsion? Not a swing axle.
We run the sedan/car IRS with the Bus IRS transmission around here with good results.
The sedan IRS torsion is not as heavy and wide as a bus IRS torsion.
Guess I didn't 'splain myself very well. :)
Gary

Turbo VW Sand Drag Buggy
2013 Polaris Ranger 4x4
My Website
Shop Facebook Page
Flipper

IRS Torsion

Post by Flipper »

Turboblue, for me it is just easier to replace the whole torsion instead of trying to get a jig made and then welding it all in. All I have to do is cut 6 places and the whole thing falls out then reweld the IRS torsion in it place. Nothing is wrong with either one that I am aware of. Just in my case and maybe some other peoples cases it might be better to just swap it all over. Remember mine is on a Railbuggy(woodscar). You can see a picture of mine in street dress on Railbuggies.com under John's in the visitors parking area of the site.

Flipper
BajaNick

Woody check out..

Post by BajaNick »

Woody check out blindchickenracing.com theres really good pics of the welding them in and of a jig.