Reliable Turbo, Anyone Have One?

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
Andy Somogyi

Reliable Turbo, Anyone Have One?

Post by Andy Somogyi »

Trying to figure out what it takes to build a reliable 175-200 HP type 4.

Anyone here have a high mileage turbo'd air-cooled VW?

I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to have a 100,000 mile air-cooled VW turbo.

Do you suppose a dry-sump is mandatory?

The big issue with air-cooled engines is how do we get the heat out of the engine before it cooks itself. Couple things I'll be doing is biral cylinders to help dissipate heat more efficiently, and ceramic coated heads / piston domes to prevent a lot of heat from entering the cooling system.

Probably have to install oil-squirters in the block to try to keep the pistons cool, that I think is going to be expensive.

Thoughts folks?, thanks.
Last edited by Andy Somogyi on Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theKbStockpiler

Re: Reliable Turbo, Anyone Have One?

Post by theKbStockpiler »

Start with a case that has been verified with a bore gauge. Use a balanced counterweight crank and inspect all the parts with precise measuring tools. There is a modification that can be done to the rods (a notch) that throws oil in the back of the piston.
Super beetle with attitude
buguy

Post by buguy »

I'd wonder more if you really think you would drive an air cooled car 100,000 miles?!
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

I have been driving my Buggy for 13 years and possibly 60,000 miles or more of which 32,000 miles are with a turbo. 28,000 miles are on this engine and it is doing well.
I can't see why you would be worried about the heat a turbo makes unless the intake is drawing that heat into the induction system......which would be a poor design and you can't blame the engine.
A turboed street engine is boosted for only short time periods and will not be affected unless there are underlying issues that will cause them.
That is not the engine or turbo's fault.
My engine usually runs too cool and I have not seen any indicators that heat is a factor with my turbo.
Design a quality install and you can have a reliable setup.
We also did 18 pulls in a row on the dyno and never had heat issues at any time.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Andy Somogyi

Post by Andy Somogyi »

buguy wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:16 pm I'd wonder more if you really think you would drive an air cooled car 100,000 miles?!
I had about 350,000 miles on my Type 3 before it was wrecked. I just rebuilt the engine about 30,000 before it was wrecked, and I have no idea if it was rebuilt before. Got the car with about 300,000 on it.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Well you do put some miles on it! But I would be worried about heat soak myself. Unless I had a buggy with the engine hanging out in the open!
madmike

Post by madmike »

Heck dude I've built and ran 200HP type 1 motors that were natural aspirated :lol: and never left me stranded :wink:
so a turboed 200hp type IV should be a piece of cake 8) :lol:
buguy

Post by buguy »

Piece of cake maybe but I doubt you could do 100,000 miles in a 200hp NA aircooled.
panel

Post by panel »

'65 Bus with a JDM Subaru EJ20 Turbo
Built by Germans powered by Japanese and brought together by Canadians
petew

Post by petew »

PD is your man here. He daily's a Type IV that's about to go turbo IIRC.